Author Topic: Dim bulb  (Read 3364 times)

Offline WeldingRod

Dim bulb
« on: December 19, 2018, 11:12:24 AM »
So, I noticed it was getting a bit dim in my shop.  Not just dirty and messy, which is a given while remodelling...  You'd think 4, 48" quad tube fluoros in a 40' container would be enough for brain surgery...  the first one I opened had not one, not two, but THREE dead tubes! No wonder it was dim!
I bought a crate of LED tubes when I had to swap 4 in the rent house, planning for the need. 
Swapped out and OMG the difference!!!

Gotta rinse and repeat, though.  Groan!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Dim bulb
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 11:47:36 AM »
I'd like to change out a whole load in my workshop - I have a large quantity (30 odd) of 6 foot twin 72 watt fittings in the main shop (more in the welding and wood shops!) many of which are in need of changing but also many I can't get at to change (high apex roof and machines in the way)

The capital cost of LED tubes here in the UK is still pretty steep so I suspect that it'll remain a pipe dream for a few more years.

. . . meanwhile can anyone do the Indian Rope Trick - I think it's the only way to get a some of them !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline appletree

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 12:51:28 PM »
No experience of replacement tubes but complete LED batten units, are incredible, very bright and somehow a good spread of light. We have just had our street lamps refurbished with LED "tops", bright yes but somehow not as penetrating or as good for pedestrians.

Phil

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 02:28:52 PM »
I have L E D lights on both my new Honda bikes, Utter rubbish...if you want to be seen by others, Great they do a very good job. If YOU want to see where you are going, Crap.
On a car may be they work, i do not have them on any of the cars in the family...Also my workshop L E D hand lamps, good spread of light as has been said...but just try and pick out any detail...
Lyn.

Offline pycoed

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 03:17:56 PM »
I find the LED hand lamps (& headlights) to glare badly when there is any moisture in the atmosphere (i.e. Jun 23rd to Jun 19th following in Wales) also I find on slightly foggy nights that cars coming towards me with LED (or possibly HID) lights tend to dazzle me more - though maybe age is a factor in that?  :(

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 03:46:36 PM »
No experience of replacement tubes but complete LED batten units, are incredible, very bright and somehow a good spread of light. We have just had our street lamps refurbished with LED "tops", bright yes but somehow not as penetrating or as good for pedestrians.

Phil
We have those street lights here in Calgary I find that there is a spot while driving under them that is brighter it’s like being strobed I use my visor at night because of this it also flashes/refracts if the window is cracked.
I have 6 led light boxes in the garage that I found to be excellent!

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 03:52:03 PM »
I find the LED hand lamps (& headlights) to glare badly when there is any moisture in the atmosphere (i.e. Jun 23rd to Jun 19th following in Wales) also I find on slightly foggy nights that cars coming towards me with LED (or possibly HID) lights tend to dazzle me more - though maybe age is a factor in that?  :(
I find that too with the vehicles it’s like motor vehicles don’t care about light intensity of oncoming cars being blinded!