Author Topic: Quick over the top: OMG it works!  (Read 2936 times)

Offline WeldingRod

Quick over the top: OMG it works!
« on: January 03, 2019, 11:52:15 PM »
I've seen over the top ball turners, and I was never very happy with my yoke turner.

Cue Chinesium...  2" boring head, 3/4" axa boring bar holder, two flanged bushings, 2 5/8" shaft collars.

I made a shaft for the boring head (after getting a sniffer from my friends and family when it arrived).  They are cheaper without a shaft...  7/8"-20 is the best choice.

Then, I assaulted the back of the boring head.

After that, I chucked up a 3/4" bar, clamped the holder onto it, and took off all the metal I could get away with.

I tapped holes for squeeze bolts (you really want them) and for the rotation stop.

One stop and the handle go on one shaft collar.  The other collar gets another stop.  For reference, you really want a fine adjustment on the left stop (as per the Bloughs).

You have to modify the slide so that the screw sticks out when it is centered; two slots with a carefully controlled land between them is the working bit.

The tool holder is modeled on the Bloughs, but it didn't do a super job on it.  Fyi, you want a high negative rake sharp insert.

OMG, I can't believe I can ROUGH a sphere!  That's #2!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk