Author Topic: Who Lost the Cork ?  (Read 2212 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Who Lost the Cork ?
« on: December 26, 2018, 02:17:07 PM »
It's Christmas Day, and the liqueurs come out of the butler's pantry for a rare outing, coffee all done and cleared away - put the bottles away- where's the Grand Marnier Cork?

(OK it wasn't quite like that - the cork disintegrated having not been drawn for probably 12 months, pulling the remnants resulted in half a cork inside the bottle and the cap bit separate  :bang:)

Decant into temporary container , then getting the cork remnants out was 'interesting' with welding rods formed into hooks and cunning pulling - eventually all out and bottle thoroughly washed.

No spare suitable corks SO PRINT ONE  :lol:

Decanted contents carefully filtered through a paint spraying fine filter funnel, Grand Marnier ready for next year back in Butler's Pantry  (I don't touch the stuff, far too sweet for me!)

What do people without workshops do to avert Christmas crisis  :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline charadam

Re: Who Lost the Cork ?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 02:35:37 PM »
Wooden dowel and sellotape. Has lasted 7 years on a Southern Comfort bottle so far.

Offline efrench

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 04:38:44 PM »
Is the filament food safe?  I wouldn't worry about short term storage, but long term probably would.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 04:49:30 PM »
Good job it was a cork and not a screw cap. Might have come out with drunken threads :D

Offline seadog

• NE London
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 05:04:47 PM »
It's all very well stoppering it, but even spirits will oxidize after a few years. The classic is granny's bottle of Harvey's Bristol Cream that is brought out year after year for one small glass, and tastes foul.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 05:30:49 PM »
. . . . 's-alright . . . . I don't drink it anyway  . . . . . :lol:

(Yes PLA is food safe as I understand it, after all it's made from corn starch, and it's sealed with a wrap of PTFE tape)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 11:39:48 PM »
I was going to ask if you set it up to take an "O" ring to seal. But I now see you had a much simpler option.

Grand solution to the immediate problem.

I would have to go with the wooden dowel as I don't have 3D printer. Not to worry though as I don't consume alcoholic beverages.
Never developed a taste for it.

John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)