Author Topic: Fixing Robovac 11 - "Sweep"  (Read 3391 times)

Offline Jo

Fixing Robovac 11 - "Sweep"
« on: January 03, 2019, 01:41:13 PM »
Last year just prior to needing to go in for major surgery I was talked into buying myself a Eufy robot vacuum cleaner who I have named "Sweep". For 17 months he has been an absolute star keeping the floor clean, even in those places that are difficult to get to  :thumbup:

Just before Xmas, why do things always go wrong just before Xmas  :palm:, he started making horrible, horrible noises and not lasting very long on each charge. Finally he was only lasting a couple of mins before going on strike claiming his sweeping brush was jammed  :scratch:

On dismantling him I found a knackered front bearing on the electric motor which drives the brush.  Time to contact the manufacturer for a spare... It would be so easy but no they consider these wonderful members of the family as non repairable and do not provide spares  :bugeye:

Jo

So many engines to build and yet so little time.

Offline Jo

Re: Fixing Robovac 11 - "Sweep"
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 01:54:58 PM »
Looking on Fleabay I could find nothing to match the part number so ended up phoning a friend (thanks Bluechip   :thumbup: ) who confirmed it was probably a standard motor with a filter board stuck on the back end. A few measurements later and back on Fleabay to order some likely looking motors from china so I was expecting it to be at least a month without my beloved Sweep...  in the short term I attempted a naughty cheat and turned the motor over on its mount as the wear was on only one side of the bearing and while slightly noisy Sweep has performed for a couple more weeks but he was getting noisy again  :(

Clearly the Chinese don't have time off for Xmas as the first of the motors turned up today: So motor out again, swop the board over (making sure to get it the right way round), fail miserably trying to us a puller to remove the gear, so cut the shaft in two and drill out the remains of the shaft on Mr Silky. Loctite on the end of the shaft and we have a working Sweep again  :clap:

It sounds like this might be a common problem on these robot vacuum cleaners as there has been another two reports on the manufacturers forum since I reported mine and they still don't want to do spares :wack:

Jo

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 02:19:29 PM »
Nice repair Jo :thumbup:

Nothing much irritates me more than things people say can't be fixed - the throw away society has gone far too far in my book.

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 03:15:54 PM »
The roomba folks sell parts and are actually quite hacker-friendly!
Mine has been repaired a half dozen times over the years!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline Jo

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 03:53:42 PM »
Thanks Andrew.

I think the Anker business model is "sell them cheap - sell them often"  I've seen these down to £159 new from Amazon.... They are so good I nearly brought a replacement before I thought where is the fun in that, seeing if I could fix it was fun and fixing it means I have another £160 to spend on stuff for the workshop  :dremel:

Jo

Offline Roger B

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 02:15:17 AM »
Nicely done  :thumbup: I always try and repair things rather than throw away and replace.
Best regards

Roger