The Shop > Tools

Did I Overdo the Files ?

(1/4) > >>

awemawson:
Back in September 1994 something happened to my files - can't remember the exact situation, someone had used & abused my files which got my gander. I'd very rarely bought files new - everything was scrounged and looked after - boot fairs that sort of thing - I valued them.

So I thought then and there - before I retire I'm going to buy myself a decent set of files and keep them to myself.

Well recently while the Beaver Turret has been doing it's own thing on soak test I've been tidying up - and I found all my brand new files and file handles - I'd certainly kept them to my self as they were still packed up  :clap:

So I've been going through them, putting the handles on and deciding how to rack them up. Only 48 files  :bugeye:

I seem to remember buying one of each style that Axminster carried at the time and it turns out that they are actually half decent files - Spear and Grobet.

If anyone wants the retired ones F.O.C and are prepared to collect then please do so.

I was surprised how relatively little the price of the Python file handles had changed in the ensuing 25 years. A #1 cost 60p in 1994 and 80p yesterday when I topped up what I'd miss counted all those years ago

Joules:
Bummer, I am desperate for files....

PekkaNF:
That is a very nice collection of files. You must be happy. Now you made me want to buy more files and handles.

I have been buying files and rasps of warying quality. I have some really good ones and some pretty bad ones (that are destined to less dignified tasks).

Lately I have found myself in need of files that are bigger that needle files but smaller than full blown errr...normal files.

I also need to find just few riffler files, but these I don't have much experience.

One thing that is proven elusive is a lathe file, I have one that has been good, but I'd like to get another one...I have bying some canditates, but they are not nearly as usefull as original. It needs to be fine, with one safe edge, but is it the angle of cut that makes the whole difference or what?

Any pointers?

Alphawolf45:
 That reminds me that I need to buy more files. Making gun parts has me using files on every part.. For instance I start with a round rifled barrel blank and then mill to octagon. The endmill leaves a smeared surface finish. Draw filing with a sharp file very quickly leaves a nice surface finish..
     Last fall I bought another 5 roll cart tool chests with the intention to reserve one for just files and carving knives and abrasive polishing sticks..
    I use a horse shoers hoof rasp to shape my stocks - don't see one of those in your assortment.
    Someday I want to try making a file using hammer and chisel as was done for centuries.

awemawson:
The retired files are now spoken for by a charming gentleman from South Yorkshire   :thumbup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version