Author Topic: Did I Overdo the Files ?  (Read 4249 times)

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Did I Overdo the Files ?
« on: February 14, 2019, 05:55:19 AM »
Back in September 1994 something happened to my files - can't remember the exact situation, someone had used & abused my files which got my gander. I'd very rarely bought files new - everything was scrounged and looked after - boot fairs that sort of thing - I valued them.

So I thought then and there - before I retire I'm going to buy myself a decent set of files and keep them to myself.

Well recently while the Beaver Turret has been doing it's own thing on soak test I've been tidying up - and I found all my brand new files and file handles - I'd certainly kept them to my self as they were still packed up  :clap:

So I've been going through them, putting the handles on and deciding how to rack them up. Only 48 files  :bugeye:

I seem to remember buying one of each style that Axminster carried at the time and it turns out that they are actually half decent files - Spear and Grobet.

If anyone wants the retired ones F.O.C and are prepared to collect then please do so.

I was surprised how relatively little the price of the Python file handles had changed in the ensuing 25 years. A #1 cost 60p in 1994 and 80p yesterday when I topped up what I'd miss counted all those years ago
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Joules

Re: Did I Overdo the Files ?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 06:21:10 AM »
Bummer, I am desperate for files....
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 06:53:10 AM »
That is a very nice collection of files. You must be happy. Now you made me want to buy more files and handles.

I have been buying files and rasps of warying quality. I have some really good ones and some pretty bad ones (that are destined to less dignified tasks).

Lately I have found myself in need of files that are bigger that needle files but smaller than full blown errr...normal files.

I also need to find just few riffler files, but these I don't have much experience.

One thing that is proven elusive is a lathe file, I have one that has been good, but I'd like to get another one...I have bying some canditates, but they are not nearly as usefull as original. It needs to be fine, with one safe edge, but is it the angle of cut that makes the whole difference or what?

Any pointers?

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 09:04:02 AM »
 That reminds me that I need to buy more files. Making gun parts has me using files on every part.. For instance I start with a round rifled barrel blank and then mill to octagon. The endmill leaves a smeared surface finish. Draw filing with a sharp file very quickly leaves a nice surface finish..
     Last fall I bought another 5 roll cart tool chests with the intention to reserve one for just files and carving knives and abrasive polishing sticks..
    I use a horse shoers hoof rasp to shape my stocks - don't see one of those in your assortment.
    Someday I want to try making a file using hammer and chisel as was done for centuries.
I am not actually retired ,I merely find myself disabled by an intolerance for productive activity.

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 09:06:30 AM »
The retired files are now spoken for by a charming gentleman from South Yorkshire   :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Joules

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 09:34:09 AM »
A big thanks to Andrew, that should pretty much triple my file collection.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 09:48:49 AM »
Joules you are very welcome.

All the 'new' files have been given a spray of WD40 (as some had rust spots after all these years stored) and tucked away. The back of my bench has a set of 'organ pipes' made from plastic plumbing and electrical conduit that helps to keep tools organised. By displacing some odd shaped pliers, bent screw drivers, and 'saw sets' that should be in the wood work shop anyway, each file has it's own pipe.

. . trouble is the pliers and screw drivers are now complaining of overcrowding  :clap:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 10:16:31 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 10:11:40 PM »
Mcmaster has lathe files, and I can confirm they work ;-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline hermetic

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 09:41:51 AM »
Of course you overdid the files! We are engineers Andrew, we overdo everything!!
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline Pete.

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 12:32:51 PM »
I thought you said FLIES then and it reminded me of a scene from 'Something about Mary' :D :Doh:

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 02:21:50 PM »
 No way did you overdo the files.  .Just very peculiar that you didn't pull them out till now.  :ddb:
     I buy files every year from a couple to a couple dozen and I use and abuse them. It would be fantastic to have that many new files on hand at one time. I grabbed a file this morning that just skated across the steel , dull and needs to be tossed.. I've saved some dull ones thinking I'll forge blades someday but someday never shows up.

I am not actually retired ,I merely find myself disabled by an intolerance for productive activity.

Offline Henning

• All the kit and no clue!
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 05:28:58 PM »
Almost a gunsmith collection I myself have something like 150, but I’ve never had that many new Nice collection
Henning

Just because i can't, doesn't mean i shouldn't?
Tool- lover, with a collection to show for it!

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 05:17:24 PM »
Peek a

I have found a 150mm long medium cut file definately a hand file ( as it has NO TANG ) but it as a safe smooth edge useful in the lathe. don’t know if I would call it “a lathe file” though but that’s what it gets used as. It is single cut ie only one set of teeth cross ways grooved. Can’t remember which make but I can have a look on wednesday night for you.

These are usually available from a friendly dealer I see . I can try to send you a photo if you want?

regards Ian

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 01:29:51 AM »
That would be really nice Ian.

I just have got a Bison set of ER25 collets and MT3 arbour....need to cool that down a little. But I have to set my sight on some decent files.

Thank you,
Pekka

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 06:00:33 AM »
 I don't remember ever owning  a good lathe file. If I taper a rifle barrel I invariably get some chatter and I smooth it out with a hand held belt grinder while barrel is turning in lathe.. Then must clean the lathes ways to remove abrasive particles . Must get a good lathe file.

Offline seadog

• NE London

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 06:49:12 AM »
Half that price at ArcEurotrade  :thumbup:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 06:54:29 AM »
I stand corrected  :bugeye:

The Amazon price is for multiple units  :bang:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 08:54:21 AM »
My storage method:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline rowbare

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 10:52:04 AM »
Very nice, it looks 3D printed. Is it your own design?

bob

My storage method: