Author Topic: Sourcing obscure STELLRAM EP--0803-- carbide insert  (Read 3137 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Sourcing obscure STELLRAM EP--0803-- carbide insert
« on: March 21, 2019, 07:29:15 AM »
I have a lovely 16 mm carbide boring bar with through coolant - a STELLRAM E115V16L that takes "EP--0803--" inserts but I cannot trace a source.

So if anyone has any knowledge as to where some may be lurking please say.

They are VERY similar to a CCMT080308 except that the retaining hole is larger on the Stellram at 4.2 mm (as opposed to 3.2 mm)

Stellram, who were in Melksham in Wiltshire, seem to have vanished off the face of the earth, their phone numbers aren't answered and their web site doesn't respond so I expect that they've been gobbled up by another manufacturer  :scratch:

. . . any help would be appreciated
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline philf

Re: Sourcing obscure STELLRAM EP--0803-- carbide insert
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 09:13:45 AM »
Andrew,

Stellram's parent company is Kennametal - might be worth contacting them.

Are you sure it's similar to a CCMT.

I have some Stellram inserts and they're not 80 degrees but 73 degrees.

Mine have a part number EPMT08M304E-73

Most Stellram are 75 degrees.

Catalogue link:

https://www.kennametal.com/content/dam/kennametal/kennametal/common/ATI%20Metals/Stellram/Catalogs-Literature/Turning%20pdfs/Stellram_turning_Estyle_inserts_metric.pdf

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 11:09:14 AM »
Thanks Phil that helps a lot. I've managed to track down some in a carbide grade suitable for aluminium alloys ("GH1" grade) using that document but grades suitable for steels at the moment is eluding me.

By heck inserts are a minefield with different specs on not only geometry but carbide grades all expressed in different ways  :bang:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 12:32:32 PM »
AND don't forget thickness&clearance rangle...some forms, specially CCMT type works fine on external turning. BUT for internal turning the same CCMT might work....if the insert is canted BUT would rub on the work with small diameter hole if the seat is not canted, then you need higher relief and the inser is not anymore ""C for 7° releif but most likely CPMH....

And then there is chipbreaker, which does not look much, but will have big effect on how chip curls or breaks.

And then there is polishing and/or coating...sometimes does not matter, but aluminium with a rough coating is like May on Brexit - drags on forever and leaves a mess behind.

Pekka