Author Topic: Emails down  (Read 5314 times)

bogstandard

Emails down
« on: June 03, 2009, 09:34:59 AM »
I am having a major problem with my computer and I am just part way thru rebuilding the software on it.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to access my files for the last three years of emails and addresses, so I you need to contact me, could you please do it thru PM's, as I can see it being a while before I can get my email system up and running as I like.

BTW Ralph, it wasn't a duff burner, it was to do with something that had buggered up my access rights.

John

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Re: Emails down
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 02:46:27 PM »
Mmmmm.... Sounds like the gremlins have landed John!?!?  :bugeye:

Good about the burner being ok  :thumbup:

Good luck with the re-prog!

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 03:00:01 PM »
Ralph,

Even more good news.

As I was searching thru all my connected hard drives, I found an old archive from February this year. So I have managed to get back all emails until then, and my own email addresses plus my address book, so it is not as bad as I was expecting to be. :clap:

I think I have only lost about a dozen names and addresses, so if people still need to contact me, they will be able to. :(

I am now fully back on line again.

Catastrophe averted. :thumbup:

John

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 03:36:46 PM »

Catastrophe averted. :thumbup:

Good to hear, reloading everything can be a royal and time consuming process, and I can think or lots more things I'd rather be doing  :beer:

atb

CC

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 03:46:43 PM »
There is nothing in this world that would make me keep emails on my computor........... :poke:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 03:16:10 PM »
Darren,

There is nothing in this world that would be interesting in the E-mithers on my computer!!! :lol:

John, glad that it's mostly sorted  :thumbup:

Computers are great until they go wrong!

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 03:20:20 PM »
I use Gmail, after a couple of hard drive failures I switched from Outlook and have never had a hitch...plus I can be away from home and still have access.

It's great to let someone else watch after them on my behalf  :)
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 04:06:18 PM »
Darren,

I have 500mb storage with my email provider, and I can use that like gmail, unfortunately my stash of emails are well over that size.
I use them like a mass filing system and refer to them all the time to obtain and corelate information that has been sent to me. A lot of it up to four years ago.

I haven't found an easier system for me to use up to now, so I will carry on backing them up whenever I feel the need.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 04:13:17 PM »
Gmail would give you 7.5GB and do a whole lot more than just stash emails.

The search facility for inner info works flawlesly.

Why give yourself the grief of what you have just gone through. I don't even need to give backing up a second thought.

Used it since the service was first offered quite a few years ago and never had a hitch.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 02:15:26 AM »
I`ve been using Gmail for years. Never had a problem, never deleted anything.

Info at the bottom of the page says,

You are currently using 254 MB (3%) of your 7334 MB.

Whatever that means.......  ::)

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

bogstandard

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 05:14:19 AM »
Everyone to their own I suppose.

The main issue I have with gmail and others of that ilk is that your emails are not private (OK, only computers scanning for linkwords, but non private anyway because of that), and I think the lack of being able to send some types of attachments. My emails system revolves around being able to send and receive attachments, as a few of you have already found out.

I am a member of a site that used to use a linkword system, for advertising purposes, and it almost collapsed, until they very quickly got rid of it. The members just didn't 'trust' it, and the postings just dropped to nearly zero. There is just too much 'spying' and lack of trust going on at the moment.

I am under the illusion of you get nothing for nothing, and if it is 'free', they are giving away millions for nothing, and I don't think Google is a charity, they are making money on it somehow. It is what they get out of your emails that concerns me. If they can scan for links and keywords, they can scan for other things as well, and they don't even have to tell you about it.

I think I will stick with my 'secure' system for now, thanks anyway. It costs me 2 squid a month for what I have, plus I can have five separate email addresses. Plus I have just found out that I actually have 1gb of storage, not 500mb as previously stated. So to me that is value for money and peace of mind for what I want to do.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 05:40:50 AM »
AS you say "each to their own"

But purely out of interest what sort of attachment can't be sent via email?

I'll have to look up link system.

Anyone can read anything you send over the Internet if they have the means and the inclination.
And they are welcome to it as far as I'm concerned, nothing to hide and deff not a terrorist..... :lol:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 06:04:10 AM »
BTW John,

You could put the "Paddleduck" in email documents and leave it there for people to download I believe?

Never tried it myself, but again a free service as part of your email. Might be worth a look for you?

Yes, I'm sceptical of free services, but in this case I get exactly what I need. If they have a hidden use of my useless info then that's fine by me.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 10:31:07 AM »
Yes, I'm sceptical of free services, but in this case I get exactly what I need. If they have a hidden use of my useless info then that's fine by me.

Me too an all!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!