Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Earth and Moon

(1/5) > >>

BillTodd:
50 years ago... a human stood on the moon.

Now, I'm building a garden ornament to celebrate   :)

The Earth :  here represented as a 300.00mm aluminium oceanographic target ball (scrapped after a minor telephone related cockup )  It'll stand on another piece of 350 x 180mm Diameter bar and one of the many 500mm x 13mm discs of invaluable scrap we seem to generate at work every day.

Work holding proved to be tricky (the set up worked but wasn't the most secure) First task was to bore a 1100 mile diameter bearing pocket into the south pole - the problem here is that I didn't have head-room for a boring bar so had to rely on the cnc interpretation of a circle which ,due to backlash, was rather elliptical , a second pass in the opposite direction got it close enough for a minor planet ;-)

The bearings drop onto a 25mm stainless bar fixed into a convenient hole in the middle of the scrap bar (it was too big for my lathe and too tall to bore in the mill (just managed to pilot a hole circle in the bottom ).

Next...

The Moon :  To be a 81.75mm aluminium ball (just a tad too big to use my ball turner  :scratch:). Not sure how to mount this yet

BillTodd:
Unfortunately the pics of making the stand didn't develop (damn this digital chemistry).

so here's a pic of the thing so far (I may mill some flats or flutes on to the column - looks a bit plain ATM).

PekkaNF:
Sooo.... since they are scale - where are you going to place the moon? I mean it is pretty long way to keep everything in scale.

Pekka

BillTodd:
8.7m away  . should fit on my front lawn  and puzzle the locals for a while .

awemawson:
Think of the traffic accidents if you tether it with string  :lol:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version