The Shop > Tools

Minature lathe - chuck?

(1/2) > >>

Starhead:
Hi folks,
 I've got this lovely little lathe gearbox, I imagine a jeweler's lathe - (see pics)

Does anyone recognize how it connects to the chuck? Any ideas how I can adapt it to receive a standard chuck or a faceplate? The shaft is 1/2" diameter and has a drift pin , a groove presumably for a rubber ring washer, and a threaded hole in the end.

Thanks

philf:
Hi,

It doesn't look like part of a lathe to me.

The output shaft is really too small for even a watchmaking lathe.

The gear ratio from the pulley to the output shaft looks to be about 16:1. That combined with the large pulley would mean that the torque could be very high but the rotational speed very low.

A lathe spindle needs bearings to take thrust as well as radial loads. Does it have that feature?

Cheers.

Phil.

seadog:
More like a hand grinder.

Starhead:

Philf there are plenty of mini lathes with a 1/2" shaft, yes it will be low speed, and high torque which is what is needed for turning.

Seadog it's not a hand grinder, if you were to turn it by hand the output speed would be about 2rpm.

Maybe if I ask the question differently.... I've got this metal thing with a shaft sticking out, how can I attach another metal thing to the shaft?

seadog:
"yes it will be low speed, and high torque which is what is needed for turning"

Only if you're turning something of large diameter. For small parts surely you need a high speed spindle to achieve a decent surface finish?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version