Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

Anyone for tea?

(1/6) > >>

Spurry:
This was a solution to a problem that appeared at our dining table recently.
My visiting old mum, (94 almost) was having difficulty tipping the right amount of milk into her white cup for her cup of tea. (Her vision is not all that, and she is registered as blind.)
I knocked up this small item in black plastic, so she can just about see the level of the milk because of the difference in colours.
Her hands are quite steady, so she can tip the milk into the gadget, then transfer it to the cup, so hey presto, a satisfying cuppa.
The base was going to be thinned down but the additional weight makes it very stable, so I left as is.
Pete

John Rudd:
Nice touch Pete.... :thumbup:

Amazing to what we put our machines to use

allanchrister:
 :bugeye:

....but I don’t understand, the milk is supposed to go in after the tea, so she would be able to see the contrast????

:Doh:

AdeV:

--- Quote from: allanchrister on June 06, 2019, 02:30:07 AM ---
the milk is supposed to go in after the tea

--- End quote ---

Nooo!!!!

There's 2 reasons why the milk goes in first - one scientific(ish), one historical...

Historically, High Tea was served in the finest Bone China tea service. Trouble is, Bone China isn't very strong, and pouring the hot tea directly into the cup could cause the wafer thin vessel to crack. Putting the milk in first reduces the thermal shock, making a leaking (and socially unacceptable!) teacup an unlikely occurrence.

Scientifically - pouring milk into hot tea "scalds" it - the volume of hot tea overheats the milk. Doing it the other way around, again, lessens the thermal shock experienced by the milk, which in heating more gently results in a better flavour.

Plus, as any fule no, adding milk to tea is just NOT the done thing dahling!

:)

Spurry:
Thanks for the comments.

It's easy to see who has not had experience of telling a 94 year old that what they have been doing all their life is wrong. :)

Interesting discussion regarding milk or tea first. Our family has always been milk first. The problem as I saw it was the actual quantity; although someone
with good eyesight could gauge the amount of milk required by the change in tint of the tea, if the milk was last. I think we tend to take this for granted when our eyes are good.

Happy tea drinking.

Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version