Author Topic: Help with a big roller shutter  (Read 3298 times)

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
Help with a big roller shutter
« on: August 04, 2019, 01:34:01 PM »
Hi guys, our tractor shed has a bigish roller shutter. Normally goes up and down using the key-switch.

Not any more!

Started to not go all the way down, initially a 30 mm gap, then 60 then more like 90.

Thought at first there would be some obvious micro-switches but none that I can see.

Before we call in the company I would like it to close [Public Hols in .ie tomorrow]. So I have the long pole with the hook on the end but it just turns without lowering the shutter.

Is there some trick to using the manual backup system?

Cheers

Will, Malahide RFC
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Help with a big roller shutter
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 02:34:53 PM »
On mine you hook the long pole on and yank it to engage the mechanism before turning it
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete.

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 04:59:45 PM »
A few weeks ago I ripped out four large (and nearly new) roller shutters. 7m long the biggest one. I don't recall them having limit switches, but the control boxes did have timer relays.

Offline Will_D

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 04:23:45 AM »
Thanks guys, will give it a good yank later today!

Timer relays and probably a current limit cut out?

Offline Muzzerboy

• The Mighty Shiz
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 05:41:11 AM »
I've got a roller door on my workshop which I fitted myself. Like most of the available systems, it has limit switches to control the open and closed movement. They are enclosed within the drive mechanism itself, at one end of the roller mechanism. During commissioning, you set the open and closed positions. There is also some form of detection to protect against squashing people and things, based on detecting bodies rather than current overload. The manual hand crank system simply relies on your judgement to determine when the door is open or closed sufficiently.

Of course, the system in the OP sounds older and more industrial, so the operation may be completely different. Presumably you could look up the make / model of the actual system online?

Online hermetic

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 06:07:57 AM »
on the tubular motor type of roller shutter door, the limit switches are inside the square shaped end of the motor, which is accesible at the end of the roll of panels, there is usually two blue plastic allen sockets visible, one for top limit and one for bottom. Unfortunately I cannot think of any scenario where they could move out of adjustment without the mechanism stripping its tiny nylon gears!, if it is that type, new motor time! I have three of this type of door.
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline Will_D

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 05:53:17 PM »
So it is at least lowered. Rather than pulling down on the manual eye bolt thingy [thanks Andrew] you have to push it in and then rotate the handle to lower. Of course as the handle is too short and even though  I am 6' 3" tall it helps to stand on a chair as it is soo easy to disengage manual control.

It need the help and tlc from some cash motivated/driven experts to fix said roller. 

I am afraid to say we need some help!

Online hermetic

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 03:18:52 PM »
can you see the motor, or is it inside the box that the shutter rolls into? pics? search tube motor on google images. it sounds from your description of the manual winding mechanism that it is a tube motor.
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline Will_D

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 05:05:18 PM »
Its an internal tube motor.

There are two small plastic wheels that I think adjust the limits.

However a supplier (and me) cannot explain how the limits have moved!

Anyone know which wheel is which and how to set the limits?

I am awaiting a quote for new internals (motor and limits etc)

Thanks for the help so far

Will

Offline Muzzerboy

• The Mighty Shiz
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 09:19:36 AM »
Presumably you now know the make and model, if you have a quote on the way. Can you not find the installation / user instructions online?

It's not like mine, so clearly a different make.

Online hermetic

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 12:49:41 PM »
well they are not identical to mine, but tube motors nonetheless. To adjust them you hold the switch in the direction you want to adjust, and when the door stops, turning one or the other wheel will take the door a little further in the direction it is going in, usually about 1/2 inch at a time. Whilst it sounds difficult, in practice it is very logical once you know which is the up adjust, and which is the down. However, as I said above, I cannot understand why they have got out of adjustment, and it does sound like the mechanism has quit, which is a pain if the motor is still ok.

Online hermetic

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 01:08:58 PM »
right, had another thought. the limit mechanism on tube motors consists of 2 long , usually nylon, threads with nuts that run up and down them. the nuts operate two microswitches which provide the top and bottom limit. When the motor is running, it also drives these threads, and when the nut reaches the switch, the door stops. the adjustments turn the threads manually to change the position of the nuts on the threads, thus setting the limits of movement. Again, it sounds complex, and the mechanisms are very fiddly to deal with, but I have managed to repair them, so it can be done. I dont know how big your door is, but my largest door is about 3m wide by 2.5m high, and the replacement unit was about £90 which is motor and limit sw itches all in one unit. The only way forward is to remove the old unit and strip it, you can usually get to the switch mechanism wothout much trouble, You need the door right down, then unbolt the door from the roller, disconnect the wiring, and unbolt the ends of the roller, and lift it to the floor. motor is usually held in the tube with a few self tapping screws visible on the outside of the roller, and the motor will then slide out. Fronm there on, you are on your own, as I do not know this type of tube motor, but you have nothing to lose by having a go! You can usually remove the limit switches from the tube motor, but dont attempt to remove the motor, I did, and wasted two days of my life trying to get it back in and working reliably!!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex