Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Skill chalenge

(1/3) > >>

chipenter:
I have been given three castings for a universal dividing table , these will be a challenge for me to finish , the drawing is a copy of a copy and non to clear , I started with the middle casting took over an hour to set up  and five minuets to skim to size , because of the 6" angle plate got in the way I had to lift the dividing head , cutting the groove with very little of the end mill in the collet to get the depth required light cuts , to cut the t slot the cutter threads were turned off , and a very slow feed got the job done .

chipenter:
My t slot cutter is 5/8" and the parallels are 1/2" , and wouldn't fit without damage so I had to make a 1/2" cutter to knock the corners off the slot , cut the corners off and managed to fiddle the cutter int and cut the t slot , flipped the casting around to index the end but kept loosing count , after turning the fist attempt off got it done on the second go , next is the base .

chipenter:
Squared the base and tried several set ups to machine a 1 29/32" radius , without hitting the 1 2 3 blocks or the clamps finished set up is to high and not as setting secure as I would like , used a slitting saw this allowed me to lock the table and cut top and bottom at the same setting .

Pete.:
Nice work Jeff. A great show of inventiveness.

chipenter:
I have to drill and ream three interconnecting holes ,as I don't have a vice big enough and dividing head was mounted on the table that was used again ,  I set the dividing head to zero and used a parallel to bolt the angle plate to the faceplate , set the dividing head to 45 degrees and drilled and reamed for the clamp shaft , back to zero and drilled and reamed for the clamp lock and retainer .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version