Author Topic: How do you box your trasures?  (Read 7784 times)

Offline PekkaNF

How do you box your trasures?
« on: September 20, 2019, 05:12:56 AM »
I have few tools that came with cheap plywood boxes and were DOA.

One will need practically all new innards, cheap box, cheap taping head set, probably will hack up something to suplement rigidy or dump contents into plastic box....

But there are some tools that deserve proper box.

Saw this:

But hinges and hardware that is available on local hardware store is outright ugly. I understand that to mount the hinges inside (as is tradition) would demand more wood or tiny hinges.

And those locks/clasps, they are getting worse and worse every ear. I don't like magnets near my tools. I have made a jewelery box that had magnets, they worked fine, but not near my tools.

Suggestions?

Pekka

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Re: How do you box your trasures?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 01:57:09 PM »
Amazon for the tiny hinges? Most of my wooden-boxed tools have little hooks & eyes, these are really hard to find, but a search on Amazon/eBay for "Dolls house hooks" brought up some likely (if not particularly elegant) candidates.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline efrench

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 02:39:41 PM »
Ready made boxes. :med:

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 03:10:37 PM »
Ready made boxes. :med:

You may also need one of these to fit your micrometer in it  :lol:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline chipenter

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 04:23:22 PM »
The easiest to do is a sliding lid , I make my boxes with half lap joints doubles the glue area , and a half lap for the lid into a groove cut the grove off from one side , and the sides should line up .
Jeff

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 01:22:27 PM »
The easiest to do is a sliding lid , I make my boxes with half lap joints doubles the glue area , and a half lap for the lid into a groove cut the grove off from one side , and the sides should line up .

Thank you, that is a good to remember.

I'm including three pictures of not that gerat box and three pictures of a good box.

First one is chinese cheap plywood, the box was in that state when new and I got it.....Whole inerior needs a rework.

Second one is Polish made and it is cheap but allready usefull.

Last one is pretty good really, good hardware, good plywood and interior is solid pine.

And rest of you: Stop barfing - it is just wood, splinters will not kill you.

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 02:25:22 PM »
Pekka:

Regarding the hinges and catches, have you tried a musical instrument repair shop?  The hinges and catches look similar to what is used for some instrument cases, so they might be able to help you.  I googled "instrument case repair parts"
and got a bunch of hits.  The cases for the smaller instruments, flutes and piccolos - maybe clarinets, would probably have the hinges and latches that you're looking for.

Don
Too many irons, not enough fire.

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 04:20:44 PM »
Pekka

look for baltic birch  plywood, much better quality and cuts well with less splintering. Lots of nice even thin layers is a good sign.
 I bought a bulk pack of anti rust paper and put a layer inside the lids of mine. Don’t use oak anywhere near tools  as the tannin in it attacks the metal.
Isaac lord  (  www.isaaclord.co.uk ) is a good source of fittings usually or , as was suggested , a music box maker would have the catches etc you want.
I’ve made a jig to cut finger joints for the corner joints but lapped joints work too and are far easier to make ! I find high density foam great for cushioning the tools but as it won’t absorb moisture I add the anti rust paper to be safe.

Ian