Author Topic: Ideas for machining this?  (Read 3399 times)

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
Ideas for machining this?
« on: December 30, 2019, 07:55:05 AM »
I am struggling to figure out how I can machine the item in the picture. I have it to the state that it is drawn to but adding the slopes is the hard bit. They would be easy if it was just a case of doing straight cuts but the things they are pulling in will need to increase angle as they pull in which I need to account for on the slopes. I am even struggling to describe exactly whats required even though I see it clearly in my head.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline Pete.

Re: Ideas for machining this?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 07:58:28 AM »
It's a ramping clutch?

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 08:00:29 AM »
Kind of more of a ramping cam.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.

Offline Sea.dog

• Up Spirits!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 08:42:58 AM »
Do you have a rotary table and a tilting vice or tilting table?

Offline Joules

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 08:44:07 AM »
Do you have an adjustable angle plate ?   Fly cut or step mill then finish with hand file.   Here I would make a form tool and use the shaper.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 08:54:53 AM »
With a slightly similar conundrum I cheated, drew it in Fusion 360, 3D printed it in PLA and had it lost wax cast. In my case it was the sloping sides of the teeth that caused machining difficulties.

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 08:59:07 AM »
Do you have a rotary table and a tilting vice or tilting table?
Rotary table yes but no tilting equipment. I did think of propping the rotary table up but am not feeling too good right now so left it.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 09:01:25 AM »
Do you have an adjustable angle plate ?   Fly cut or step mill then finish with hand file.   Here I would make a form tool and use the shaper.
Rough mill and finish with file may be what i end up doing

Offline Joules

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 09:10:11 AM »
Looking more closely at your model I am struggling a bit to understand the shape to be cut.  Does it have a focal point in the centre of the object.  I am thinking ball end mill for the step cutting do both ramps have the same profile to be cut ?

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 09:25:59 AM »
Looking more closely at your model I am struggling a bit to understand the shape to be cut.  Does it have a focal point in the centre of the object.  I am thinking ball end mill for the step cutting do both ramps have the same profile to be cut ?
Yeah as I said I am struggling to describe it properly but at the lowest bit the tang will be 90 degrees but as the tang is pulled back by the cam the angle will change gradually by up to 12 degrees, hope that helps.

Offline Joules

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 10:04:51 AM »
Lets try from a different angle.  I have been doodling, what shape is the follower that contacts this cam.  Is it spherical, a straight or taper pin profile.  From that I can sweep the cam surface to form the ramp.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 10:12:15 AM »
I'd draw that in CAD as a 2-d ramp and plot x,y co-ordinates for step-milling with a ball end mill, but put the part on a rotary table and turn the part instead of moving in the x axis.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 01:38:31 PM »
Lets try from a different angle.  I have been doodling, what shape is the follower that contacts this cam.  Is it spherical, a straight or taper pin profile.  From that I can sweep the cam surface to form the ramp.
I think with a bit of fiddling this can do it but I am feeling so bad now i can't think straight will revisit it tomorrow hopefully.

Offline Joules

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 02:57:02 PM »
Take it steady Shipto, no need to rush.

Offline Deko

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 11:55:06 AM »
If the angle you need to cut is 45 degrees, then use a 90 degree spot drill to mill the area.  :beer:

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2020, 10:40:24 AM »
Oh wow never had a bout of illness hit me so hard. Caught it from daughter after boxing day and still not 100% now but much better. lost nearly 5 days of holiday already  :palm: and could really have done with more time off but such is the life of a wage slave  :loco:
Anyway I did feel alive enough to get the job kind of done (good enough for this prototype anyway) but I think this is going to require some good cnc milling to do exactly right.
Unfortunatly I can't show what it will go into because I am hopeful That this tool will be patentable but thanks for all the suggestions.
 :mmr: