Author Topic: Kurt Vise Rehab  (Read 4566 times)

Offline kvom

Kurt Vise Rehab
« on: June 10, 2009, 09:46:19 AM »
I recently bought a Kurt D675 on eBay.  The seller said is was "rougher than his usual" offerings, but the pics didn't look that bad to me.  Got it for $130 shipped.  On arrival it didn't look too bad at all.  Some minor tool marls on the top of the moveable jaw, one drill ding on the ways, and a lot of swarf in the screws as the cap there is missing.

Monday I took it to school; with the help of the instructor I took it down to its main components:

1) Remove two hard jaws.
2) Remove moving jaw block (1 set screw)
3) Remove fixed jaw block (two large SHCSs from the bottom)
4) Remove ram by turning the screw

I could have removeds the screw as well (held in by a c-clip), but there is no reason to do so

Next was to cart everything to the parts washer to remove all of the accumulated grime and swarf from all pieces.  Following that I used a honing stone on the bottom of the main casting to remove any burrs.

For the next step, I used the manual surface grinder to resurface the hard jaws.  For the first pass, I ground the jaw faces ~.001 to remove a couple of small dings and true up the edges in two passes.  Then I turned them over and took a few tenths off the backs, and then a final pass on the fronts for a couple of tenths.

The manual grinder is too small to grind the rest, so I will do that this afternoon on the larger hydraulic, for the following steps.

1) Mount the base to the mag chuck and grind the ways flat.  The drill ding is too deep to remove, but that should not affect the final result.  The ways look pretty good, and I think .001 off should suffice.

2) Remount the fixed and moving jaw blocks, clamp them together, and grind them flat.  Once again, less than .001 should be good.

3) Mount the hard jaws, clamp them together, and grind the tops to remove various dings.  May need a couple of thousands there.

At the end, I should have a vise that's good as new.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Kurt Vise Rehab
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 10:14:23 AM »
Sounds like your making it into a good'n  :thumbup: a good square vice is worth it's weight in gold

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Davo J

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 01:31:15 AM »
Here is a guy that has done the same thing with a Kurt plenty of pictures and it might give you some tips http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php/saving-kurt-vise-scrap-161489.html?p=929226    Davo

Offline kvom

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 07:39:27 AM »
Mine is done and trammed in, but thanks for the link.  I didn't go to the lengths he did, but mine is for hobby use.  I see no real benefit to new paint or grinding the sides, other than cosmetics.