Author Topic: Forrest Grump: Stupid is as stupid does, to a new level !  (Read 2641 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Forrest Grump: Stupid is as stupid does, to a new level !
« on: June 12, 2009, 09:00:04 AM »
This was posted by a member from another forum I'm on. It is almost unbelievable that somebody would do this.
most dangerous
I was hoping this thread was still going, got a sad story to pass on. I work in a busy ER when not in the shop, and yesterday I had a patient that tried something REALLY DUMB! A 45 year old man had decided that knife making was his new calling in life. He had gone to Lowes and purchased some metal, took it home and cut out a knife blank. He felt time was not on his side and instead of using files or a grinder or whatever, he thought it would be a great time saver if he used his wood planner. Guess what? WRONG!!! He lost three fingers and when his machine failed it exploded sending pieces of machinery everywhere including embedding some in his nose, naval, and just missed his carotid by 1 cm. Lets just say he won't be working on anything anytime soon. Imagination giveth, stupidity taketh away.
It happened in the Baltimore, Md area.

The tread was about the most dangerous things in the shop, the number one item was the wire brushes on angle grinders. Now I think the new most dangerous item can be the operator.

I bet his family has already consulted a lawyer.

What I find hard to believe is that somebody with a wood working shop/equipment. Would even think of doing something like that!
glen
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 09:03:51 AM by PTsideshow »
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

bogstandard

Re: Forrest Grump: Stupid is as stupid does, to a new level !
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 11:35:56 AM »
Glen,

The most dangerous thing is the lack of common sense, and there are a lot of people about, even in engineering, that have none at all.

But they don't usually last long in the job.

After losing a few body parts, they move onto pastures new. Causing mayhem and destruction wherever they go.

I know, I have had to clean up and put things right after them.

Bogs

Online John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Re: Forrest Grump: Stupid is as stupid does, to a new level !
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 04:23:33 PM »
The most dangerous thing with any machine is a single nut, though the married ones are not much better!
From the den of The Artful Bodger