Author Topic: Beaver milling machine  (Read 88246 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Beaver milling machine
« Reply #150 on: August 20, 2009, 06:33:36 PM »
Yes, box ways are pretty simple, there are actually two gibs, one for the horizontal and one (this one) for the vertical. Both independently adjustable.

Both Box and V ways have their followers for different reasons I gather.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #151 on: August 21, 2009, 04:03:48 AM »
Very nicely done Darren!  :clap:

I intend to do the same soon, for my lathe.  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #152 on: August 21, 2009, 04:40:51 AM »
Drill sideways between bolts 1 and 2 and 4 and 5, fit a couple of those ball type oilers [ Arceurotrade ]
Drill to meet from the top rubbing surface and put a couple of shallow grooves in to distribute the oil.

Box ways are nice, for some reason they don't seem to get localised wear like dovetail slides and they usually have a far greater contact surface area hence more rigidity.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #153 on: August 21, 2009, 06:24:39 AM »
Thanks for the tip John,

I see Arc are mostly out of stock on those..... :doh:

I have been thinking about a centralised oil system.......home made of course....unless anyone has one to spare...
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #154 on: August 21, 2009, 07:05:19 AM »
Thanks for the tip John,

I see Arc are mostly out of stock on those..... :doh:

I have been thinking about a centralised oil system.......home made of course....unless anyone has one to spare...

Probably because I recently stocked up on them  :headbang:

Got any truck breakers yards near you ? quite a few have pressure oiling systems fitted, pumps are next to useless but plenty of pipe fittings, distributor blocks and metering valves.

John S.
John Stevenson

bogstandard

« Reply #155 on: August 25, 2009, 05:11:48 AM »
Darren,

If you want to pay for the stuff, Arc Euro have just started to advertise these.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machine-Spares/One-Shot-Lubrication-System

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2009, 05:14:41 AM »
Thanks John, that's actually not a bad price is it......I just may well go down that route..... :thumbup:

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2009, 03:51:05 PM »
that's actually not a bad price is it...... :thumbup: 

Got to agree, good value imho

CC

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2009, 05:12:54 PM »
I'll tack this onto this thread as it's a similar subject on the same machine...

On the Beaver mill ram there are two Gibs on the right hand side. One at the front and one at the back. Rather than setting a clearance these are used to lock the ram down tight and can be slackened to make any ram adjustments.

It came to my attention that the one at the front wasn't doing anything ............ might explain a couple of things as I'd been chasing traming and a vibration fruitlessly so far. My issues wern't huge, in fact quite slight but all the same an unlocked ram sure wouldn't help anything !!

In this first picture showing the Gib you can clearly see a clearance at position "A".
A 1/2" bolt is inserted in the direction of "B" and threads into the Gib. When the bolt is tightened it pulls the Gib down against the ram dovetail. Except in this case the bottom of the gib is already down due to the side clearance at "A"

I took both Gibs out, front and rear and they are both similar except the rear one is a little shorter. Here you can see where the bolt threads into.

Set up on the mill I decided to remove 2mm/80thou from the bottom of the Gib as this will have the same effect as making it wider.

Using a 20mm dia cutter this was done in one pass as there was nothing critical here making guestimating the order of the day ..  :coffee:

Popped back in for a looksee .... Yup.. that'l do it.....  :)

BTW, these are not the original Gibs, someone had made these .... not too well either ....  :doh:

bogstandard

« Reply #159 on: November 18, 2009, 12:38:10 AM »
Nice fix Darren.

You are now starting to get the machine back to how it should be. Pretty soon you will have a machine to be proud of, that will give you years of trouble free use.

Once you reach that stage, keeping on top of it will be so much easier.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #160 on: November 18, 2009, 06:07:14 AM »
Thanks John,
I seem to be forever working on this mill instead of making things on it  :doh:
But the finish is getting better all the time even though it was pretty good when all the bits were missing. It must be the shear mass that held it together.

I know that at some point it was moved along with a lot of other machinery. I guess it was dismantled and someone lost a box of bits along the way.
Coming along nicely now though  :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 06:50:30 AM by Darren »

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #161 on: November 18, 2009, 04:03:51 PM »
Great fix Darren
 :thumbup:

That mill will be a supper bit of kit by the time you've finished with it.

Cheers

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave: