Author Topic: Beaver milling machine  (Read 88255 times)

bogstandard

Re: Beaver milling machine
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 08:41:07 AM »
I now see what you are on about. I hadn't thought about what you were saying

Luckily, my clone has a rule and a graduated depth stop, that is very accurate considering. But also I have fitted a cheapo DRO which does a splendid job.

John

Offline kvom

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 09:14:45 AM »

My mill has the collar/stop.  Perhaps yours was removed in a past life.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 09:58:10 AM »
Here's the thread I posted a while back when I fixed my power feed for the quill.

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=499.0

There are several pictures showing the scale on the front.

Here's a pic of the quill feed stop. Although mechanical it can be set to the nearest .001". The dial is grduated in thousands increments. One full turn is .050". Perhaps a bit hard to set to get the right depth but once set will allow to drill to the same depth on one or millions of holes.

Bernd
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 10:08:19 AM by Bernd »
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 10:45:32 PM »
I viewed it today, it's a long story as it's 3am here now (went to see a mate on the way home)

First it was a cupper and a good chat. I think I was being sussed out before proceeding.......fair enough.....

And the reason why....

I saw a LOT of machines, a museums worth....this guy has some collection and is clearly not a dealer as most are set up for production and the rest well preseved for longer term storage...!!

And I got to drive a train....yep...that's right a train.....on a lot of track too, it was huge....

I had a really good day today with loads of fun...... :)

Oh, the Beaver, I bought it but it won't be coming here for a mth or so.....John S....you're not wrong mate, it's got roughly about the same footprint of the Bridgeport but at the same time the Briggy looks spindly in comparison, not that you could seriously call a briggy spindly !!!.....we have a saying here.....built like a.........house.... :lol:
It needs a couple of minor repairs, nothing that should present any difficulty.. the ways look spot on to me, no sign of any wear that I could find anywhere, no backlash, no play and all the machines not on use were very heavily greased up.

The sheard pin is external and a simple fix, the powered downfeed feels like a spring needs replacing. It works put you need to hold the actuator lever in. Simple small cover to remove to get inside the workings.

Spindle speed change is easy and low gear ratios are by a backgear that puts the spindle into reverse but it needs a main motor reversing switch replacement. Nothing difficult.

Slow and high speed transverse are by two separate motors at either end of the bed, the switch on the high needs looking at. It just looks like dirty contacts to me.

Bed has a couple of very small dings, certainly nothing to wory about. The rest is in very good nick.

He gave me the price over the phone yesterday, I agreed to it today and he said is that it ?........I looked bemused at him....."well barter with me then"

So I got it for a pittance, he was almost giving it away......!!

Really, really, nice chap, I spent hours there between oggling at all the machines and playing at engine driving... :ddb:, all industry standard machinery...about 10 big millers, maybe 30 lathes, a whole hoard of pillar drills of all shapes and sizes, I guess about 8 of them that I could see, two shapers, one small and one large, two large cylindrical grinders, surface grinders, tool cutter grinder, and a whole load more piled high at the back that I just couldn't see properly.
One lathe must have been at least four tons, most around 2-3 tons each and a very nice Smart and Brown

And none of it for sale, I asked about a couple of items and I got a firm no....he just collects them by what I could tell.

I thought I had problems..... :lol: :lol:

Been invited back with the family to a BBQ where people from all over bring their trains to run on his track, he said I should meet some friendly locals at the same time....

The track was very interesting, he's been using his JCB to dig the track ways and I really enjoyed the ride as he has made it very interesting. Bridges, tunnels currently being built, lots of points, quite a large pond and lots of tress and shrubery. I can't remember how long he said the track was, but I wouldn't want to walk it !!

Fantastic day out..... :) :) :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 10:52:42 PM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 02:47:39 AM »
Sounds like an amazing day Darren. His workshop must have been pretty big by the sounds of it!

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2009, 03:41:07 AM »
Darren,
Was it in Anglesea, and is the BBQ in July, if so I'll see you there.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2009, 07:12:26 AM »
I'll see you there John :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2009, 07:17:51 AM »
Sounds like an amazing day Darren. His workshop must have been pretty big by the sounds of it!

Oh yes...it was huge...

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2009, 06:11:20 PM »
I founds a 30int arbour in my pile today, mt2,

Well it's a start.....

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2009, 10:14:33 PM »
Sounds like a really awesome place!

We need to hear about the fun in July!
SPiN Racing

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2009, 12:51:24 PM »
Hi, One for John S, if you would be so kind....

Could you tell me if BT 30 arbours will fit an ISO 30 machine? I belive they will but need to make sure.....ta..

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2009, 01:06:24 PM »
Yes but you need a longer drawbar because the BT's don't have the little parallel bit at the top.

Plus BT's are usually metric threaded INT as usually whit, always exceptions.

Ketan at Arc is doing some special INT 30 for the CNC bridgeports in ER32, they will fit as well as you don't require the special QC flange but again need a drawbar, [ read 10 lenghts of assorted studding  :thumbup: ]

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2009, 01:17:08 PM »

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2009, 06:58:37 PM »
John S, I emailed Arc, but it's been days now and no reply.....?

However, Thanks to your advice I bought that Arbour that I PM'd you about.

£5.00 BIN plus £5 delivery, not bad for a tenner  :)

It's the one on the left, a ER32 collet chuck. What's more it came with a ball bearing nut that Bogs rates so highly so was worth the tenner for that alone..!!
I used the nut tonight on my 3MT chuck and can see why you like them so much John (Bogs)... :thumbup:

This one had no C-Spanner marks, my one even though it's fairly new looks like a rat has been chewing at it already... :bugeye:

I assume on the bigger machines people swap the arbours about and not the collets themselves?

Anyway, Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated... :thumbup:

PS, the other one on the right is an MT2 fitting that I already had but no idea what it was or for...I do now...... :ddb:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 07:02:20 PM by Darren »

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2009, 07:47:27 PM »
Sorry Darren,
Missed the bit about ARC.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/ER-Collets-Collet-Chucks/ER32-Collets-Collet-Chucks

Second up from the bottom.

.John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2009, 04:28:18 AM »
Thanks John, I see it now.. :thumbup:

Not the easiest part to find there, mind you I think the site is easier to navigate than RDG.

Offline shred

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2009, 07:44:55 PM »

This one had no C-Spanner marks, my one even though it's fairly new looks like a rat has been chewing at it already... :bugeye:

I assume on the bigger machines people swap the arbours about and not the collets themselves?

Yea, especially on CNC machines.  Load up a rack of toolholders with tools-- you can set them to length 'offline', as it were, at a tool changing station, then just plug them into the machine as needed.  If a tool breaks or wears, it's back to the tool changing station to be replaced, but otherwise even in collet setups the tool remains with the holder for the most part.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2009, 06:01:05 PM »
Here you go darren, how to move a Beaver mill lesson 101

Last pic with the head off so it will fit thru the bloody door, these have now been raised as the fork truck had 10 thou clearance, now it has 40 thou .

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2009, 06:06:51 PM »
Good grief,  :bugeye:

I hope it's not that big, I don't remember it being so.......it's not is it.....please tell be it's not.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thankfully I built the garage with getting a larger mill (and Lathe) in mind, access is quite good and building entry is a doddle.

As long as I can get it on my pallet truck it will be a breeze....

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2009, 09:07:58 PM »
Good grief,  :bugeye:

I hope it's not that big, I don't remember it being so.......it's not is it.....please tell be it's not.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thankfully I built the garage with getting a larger mill (and Lathe) in mind, access is quite good and building entry is a doddle.

As long as I can get it on my pallet truck it will be a breeze....

Darren

If it is as big as this one I think you may need a bigger pallet truck. :doh:

At least it won't get blown away in the breeze!!!

Cheers :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2009, 02:21:34 AM »
By, `ek!!!!  :bugeye:

That`s BIG....... For the likes of us!  ::)

Love it.....  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2009, 03:10:36 PM »
Thankfully it's not quite that big Don, prob nearer half the size or so.

Mind you, it'll still give my pallet truck a workout..... :dremel:

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2009, 06:41:06 PM »
OK Darren, just loading the Donald up for the trip down Welsh Wales.

Put a load of LLLL's and NNNNN's and a few PPPP's in so should be able to read any maps  :headbang:

Bringing a set of reversing relays, and two motor switches, anything else I've forgotten ?

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2009, 06:45:23 PM »
All that scrap behind your bandsaw.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you been there before John, the entrance is a bugger to find, I missed it twice and there is nothing else there..... :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2009, 04:41:01 AM »
Yes been there a few times, spent a week there not long after John moved in and before the workshop was there.
In fact I helped knock a row of pigsty's down to make room and generally spent about a week digger driving and labouring for the builders who were putting a new roof on the second cottage along.

Can't bring any 'scrap' that's all needed, and the second rack outside with the 6" to 8" stuff on it. Problem with doing emergency repairs [ my main work ] is that you need stock, there is never time to stock up.

John S.
John Stevenson