Author Topic: Beaver milling machine  (Read 88253 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Beaver milling machine
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2009, 06:42:09 AM »
I was only kidding about the "scrap" John,,,,,takin the wee wee about your stock.... :lol:

I guessed you might have known John for a while.....that entrance is still a bugger though for anyone visiting for the first time....

Look forward to meeting you tomorrow... have a good trip.....:thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2009, 04:16:42 AM »
Should be getting the Beaver this coming Saturday..... :)
John Stevenson has kindly donated a suitable reversing switch...way to go John..... :thumbup: (nice chap in the flesh too, good to meet up)

Now then, a Herbert 2D is on offer very locally along with a Herbert high speed precision drill.......I'm not really looking for either though....but thought I would throw it up for comments....

And if anyone would like me to pick this up and hold it till it can be collected I could do that. You'sd have to bid and pay for it though. It's a bandsaw and I'm in N/Wales.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190320192103&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&salenotsupported

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2009, 04:21:30 AM »
Herbert 2D are capstan lathes not much use for a home workshop not unless you're going into mass production they there old hat been taken over by CNC, we use to have a couple of hundred of them and Ward capstans at one time know there all gone to that big scrap yard in the sky.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2009, 04:30:50 AM »
Hi Stew,

If it's got a proper crosslide aren't they supposed to be able to do normal engine work, with good precision too.

My S&B is a capstan and it's a good strong machine that I really like using. Like I said, I'm not really interested unless it's being given away. I have no idea what he wants I just know he's been giving stuff away on Freecycle recently. Some ME mags which I've put my name on and some 3ph motors so far which I have not bothered with.

That's how I found out about the machines he is looking to re-home.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2009, 04:38:06 AM »
Oh, he used to run a business making model train wheels......someone here might know oh him?

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2009, 04:43:44 AM »
They usualy have a fixed cross slide with front and back tool posts, front for facing, back for parting off, traversing was done off the turret with a wide range of tool holders:- turning, drilling, threading, tapping, undercutting etc, it was realy suprising what you could do with them.

Good strong machines with very good bearings, we use to use them with air operated collet chucks with women operators that were very skilled a good operator could make them sing, we converted some over to pnumatics operation so one operator could run three machines, but ther's not much call for them now with CNC, that's why you can pick them up so cheap.

Stew

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2009, 04:51:54 AM »
I see, one I was looking a couple of weeks ago had a normal x-y crosslide that was huge and looked immensely strong and accurate with very large dials.
So they don't all have it then....?

I have both a fixed lever slide with front and rear tool posts and a compound crosslide for my S&B. I mostly use the compound but I have done runs of 1000 or so identical parts with the turret and fixed slide.
Sure makes light work if you have that use.

Edit, come to think about it the Herbert I saw may not have had a compound slide, just a hand wheel for the crosslide? I'm really not sure now you mention it Stew.
I focused more on the Ward at the time and I'm not sure about that either now....?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 05:22:08 AM by Darren »

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2009, 02:23:42 PM »
It's arrived..... :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Pic's not quite as impressive as Johns but here's a couple......I was so excited...... :) :) :)

Don't be fooled by all the brown stuff, it's mostly grease, and a lot of it too....the seller heavily greases all his machines not in current use....

I'm still excited......but it'll be a few days before I fire her up.... :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2009, 06:04:15 PM »
That looks a nice bit of machinery Darren.

Have fun

Stew

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2009, 06:07:10 PM »
Thanks Stew,

I'm sure I will, once I've learnt how to use it... :scratch:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 03:59:02 AM by Darren »

bogstandard

« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2009, 06:15:09 PM »
Now you are in with the big boys Darren.

You thought the mill you are using now was rigid, just wait till you get moving on this, your old one will seem to be made out of rubber.

With a machine that size, if all the gibs are OK, you will put a cut on and you won't even need to measure it afterwards, it should take off exactly what you feed into it.

Nice one.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2009, 06:54:11 PM »
Ah Ha.....I've just found something out......

Apparently these mills came with 2 or 3 HP motors.

Mine has a 1.5HP motor and it looks very original.

It seems that when supplied to Schools they where fitted with these smaller motors.
Could explain why there seems to be no wear on it and the general good nick.....along with a couple of small bed oops marks....

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2009, 06:56:13 PM »
Ah Ha.....I've just found something out......

Apparently these mills came with 2 or 3 HP motors.

Mine has a 1.5HP motor and it looks very original.

It's the Welsh version, made that way because they are little people down that way  :poke:

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2009, 06:59:32 PM »
Now you know as well as I do John...

There was no electricery around here in 66.....all water power back then in these parts...... :ddb:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2009, 03:47:17 AM »
That has great capability Darren!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline kvom

« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2009, 08:26:56 AM »
The scenery in your neighborhood looks spectacular.

Mill is nice too  :thumbup:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2009, 03:08:32 PM »
I feel very privileged, firstly to live in such a beautiful area, and it is indeed very scenic for many a mile in any direction....I'll take some pic's when the sun comes back out to play.

Thanks for the comments on the mill, that is yet another privilege for me to have one to play with....

My workshop is an open place for anyone to come and visit and have a play, no need to be shy.
Just let me sort the new garage out first and get all the stuff in...!!!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2009, 03:47:31 PM »
A request if you please chaps

Can someone take a picture of their Knee Handle for their Bridgeport or clone. The more types the merrier.

Mine came without one and I need to sort something out. It's 1/2" square drive so shouldn't be difficult. Anything I should know, ratchets, directions etc.... :thumbup:

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2009, 04:21:58 PM »
Somebody will come up with some pictures but one thing that is most important and Bridgies don't fit it is to tap the end of the shaft and fit a washers and screw.

The reason is you have the bed right down and are leaning over winding like a crazy man and the fooking handle flies off but because you are still holding it the but lumpy bit with splines and sharp point smacks you straight on the end of the hooter.

Let me tell you a smacked hooter after being hit with one of these takes ages to heal up  :(

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »
Ouch.....I'll bear that in mind John..... :doh:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2009, 09:56:24 PM »
Darren,

I had to do a fix on my Bridgeport handle. Check this thread out:  http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=475.0

Might be of some help.

Hey John, know the feeling well. I speak in a much higher voice now.  :lol:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2009, 12:37:16 AM »
Darren

Glad you finally have it at home. It looks like a very solid piece of machine. It should make some good qualty chips when you get it all set up and sorted out. :ddb:  :ddb:  :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2009, 02:16:22 AM »
Thanks Don,

Not had much time so far, but it looks better than I originally thought repair wise. Should get some time to play later today.... :ddb:

Bernd, thanks for reminding me of your post, I'd forgotten about that. The Beaver looks very different to the Bridgeport in this area. The BP has a Dog drive with a round shaft. The Beaver has a 1/2" sq shaft.

What makes the lever stay in the down position, or is it a case of putting it there manually after each adjustment.. :scratch:

Just trying to get a "handle" on what's needed..... :)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2009, 03:15:17 AM »

What makes the lever stay in the down position, or is it a case of putting it there manually after each adjustment.. :scratch:

It's that simple you'll kick yourself.

You just stop winding when it's at the bottom  :thumbup:

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2009, 03:21:00 AM »
Oh, and there was me thinking there was some sort of ratchet to let it fall down.... :doh:

Just a handle with a sq hole then,

I was looking too hard, thanks John..... :thumbup: