Author Topic: Clamping Sets - 12mm Slot M10 Stud or .... Stud Vertex  (Read 6750 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Clamping Sets - 12mm Slot M10 Stud or .... Stud Vertex
« on: June 22, 2009, 06:35:32 PM »
Hi Guys

I`m in need of a clamping set for my Chester Conquest which has 12mm slots in the bed. I`ve been searching for a few days to get the best deal - RDGtools comes in at £32 and being local, I can collect. I have just found another supplier - RotaGrip and these offer the 52 pc kit at £25 plus the postage - due to postage, they are both going to cost me the same and besides I know RDGtools and like the people in there.

Anyway, I was going to plunge for the set until I noticed RotaGrip also sell a "Clamping Kit 12mm Slot M10 Stud Vertex" as opposed to "Clamping Kit 12mm Slot M10 Stud" and this comes in at £40 but I can`t for the life of me understand the difference:

Clamping Kit 12mm Slot M10 Stud 
£25.40 (including 15 % tax)
52 Piece Clamping Kit

This range of steel clamping kits are designed to save valuable set up time and comprises of the following items:
24 Studs ( 4 off each 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8")
6 Tee Nuts
4 Coupling Nuts
6 Flange Nuts
6 Step Clamps
6 Pairs Step Blocks.

Clamping Kit 12mm Slot M10 Stud Vertex   
£40 (including 15 % tax)
Vertex 52 Piece Clamping Kit

This range of steel clamping kits are designed to save valuable set up time and comprises of the following items:
24 Studs ( 4 off each 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8")
6 Tee Nuts
4 Coupling Nuts
6 Flange Nuts
6 Step Clamps
6 Pairs Step Blocks.

Look identical to me so what is this "vertex" that adds the additional cost? I`ve done a search and I know Vertix is a brand as they make Vices but is it a make in this situation - the sets look truely identical.

Adivce appreciated - are these 52pc sets the best to go for?
Chris

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: Clamping Sets - 12mm Slot M10 Stud or .... Stud Vertex
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 02:14:56 AM »
Personally Chris, I think you buy these clamping kits & never find the use for 75% of the components......

I have 8 or so T nuts, several feet of 10mm studding, 4 swan neck clamps + nuts & washers.

Sufficient...... So far!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline matnewsholme

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 04:37:23 AM »
vertex is just better quality as opposed to a no-name chinese set. No need to spend extra money for vertex for something as basic as a clamp set imo

matt

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 04:45:13 AM »
From what I can see Vertex take what's out in the market and slap their own name on it....for a price... :scratch:

Do they actually make anything themselves?
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 06:03:38 AM »
From what I can see Vertex take what's out in the market and slap their own name on it....for a price... :scratch:

Do they actually make anything themselves?

No

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline kvom

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 08:41:26 AM »
As was said earlier, you won't ever use most of those pieces.  I know that I use the vise 99.9% for model parts.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 03:34:09 PM »
Hi

Well thanks for the advice, I went to RDG tools and looked at both the Vertex and the no-brand and I was astonished at the similarity - they looked identical just with a Vertex badge on one. Apparently however, one is Chinese made and the other Taiwanese, the latter being the better Vertex model.

Anyway, they only had the no-brand in 12mm which is the one I wanted anyway. Looks great for the money.

I agree Kvom - I`ll not use it that often but I have come across a couple of situations where clamping would be better than vice holding and I currently have the base plate of my mill conversion sat on the mill, too big to be clamped and therefore need it for sure to machine the edges of that.

Thanks again for advice, very helpful.

Chris