Author Topic: 6X26 Milling Machine riser block  (Read 22174 times)

Offline cjoscelyn

6X26 Milling Machine riser block
« on: December 18, 2009, 12:24:21 PM »
I have a 6X26 that I have extensively modified over the last two years. The X axis travel has been extended from 15' to 20 5/8", the Y axis from 6" to 8 1/2", power feed, DRO, 3 phase/VFD and Tachometer. I love this mill and now want to add more capability/capacity.

At one time I had a drawing that gave the dimensions of the column and head diameters/spigots so a riser block could be made. Evidently I have lost the drawing and I'm hoping someone here would have one I could copy. In addition, I'm hoping that this site having so many UK members would also be a source for drawing or sketch of the epicylic gear box that was used on the Dore-Westbury mill.

The reason I posted the requests here in the design section is that if I can get the above references I'll need help putting the information all together and comining up with a horizontal spindle that resides in the riser block for the vertical head. The motor/gearbox would be at the rear of the riser attached to a cartridge type 30 taper spindle. The outboard support for the horizontal arbor would be part of an R-8 adaptor held in the vertical spindle.

Have I lost everyone yet? I have been viewing this site for a while and there appears to be some real talent here. The above ideas are just that, ideas. I hope to read some of yours.

Thanks, Charlie

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
Re: 6X26 Milling Machine riser block
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 01:53:29 PM »
Hi Charlie,

For the DW Mk 2 drawings and build instructions, join the Yahoo DWmills Group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dwmill/ and look in the Files section.  The DW Mk 2 gearbox with helical gears and oilbath is superior to that on the DW Mk 1 (my machine) with its standard Myford gears, but at least the gears or mine can easily be sourced. Though DW Mk 1 construction details are in its Files, the Group has no Mk 1 drawings. Don't be misled by the file labelled "Light Vertical Milling Machine.pdf - DW Mk1 contruction articles and drawings" - that actually deals with the original, no gears, Westbury.

I have the DW Mk 1 drawings, though - if I can help, contact me at andyf1108$yahoo.co.uk, substituting "@" for the dollar sign (I'm paranoid on public forums).

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Davo J

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 06:26:39 PM »
I am not sure if you can see it with out being a member of the 6x26 group or not, but here are the drawings of the riser.
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cAksSwHRypJOi_exAjgPbCB95I2clswUeraIoJuBVW19Wm7xS4V2Yuv4RhUo_nmZeUfHCHeBhRdZQeUgsELq6bWibEh8W_SKW88/RISER%20BLOCK.pdf
Dave

Offline cjoscelyn

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 07:55:10 PM »
Thanks Andy and Dave. I was a member of the Yahoo 6X26 group but can't get back on. I'm going to try and register as a new user to see if that will work. If it does, I'll join the Dore-Westbury as well.
Again, thanks

Offline Xldevil

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 01:51:05 PM »
Hello Charlie.
I own the german version of that mill.So far,I add a DRO and a phase converter to it and now I´m going to make a riser block.
And I´m thinking about a power feed for the X-axis
How did you modify the X- and Y-axes´s travel?
Regards,Ralph

This picture has been made before I bought that mill.It´s looking slightly better now.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 01:57:30 PM by Xldevil »

Offline cjoscelyn

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 04:54:10 PM »
If you go to www.charliejoscelyn.com, 6X26, you can follow a photo trail of the mods I have completed. I have not added the write-ups yet, but I'm sure the pictures will tell the story.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 05:17:34 PM »
Charlie,

A bit  :offtopic: here but I checked out your web site. I really like your shop, Nice. I like that press you built and I was impressed with that column you had between chuck and center. What did you turn round on that?

Wish you well on your retirement this year. :beer: Looks like it'll start in July.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 06:03:24 PM »
Charlie,
There was a post on the HSM group about 4 or 5 months ago of a machine shop sale on Craigs list, one of the machines was a bridgeport that had the same mod done to it.
The guy who owned the shop had done a lot of specials but I can remember that this one was a casting and not fabricated. I did notice that he'd also used a spare Bridgy J head as a power source.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 02:47:34 PM »
I have the Enco Version of that mill. I pulled the head off and measured things to get my measurements. They were a little different than the ones I found o the net.

I like how you increased your travel!!! I'll be doing that soon now. Thanks for sharing. I'd like to see a write up on how you added the power feed. I was too cheep and didn't get that. I have an aftermarket one like yours that I need to mount. Your way looks nicer than what I was going to do.
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline cjoscelyn

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 06:49:17 PM »
To add the Chinese generic power feed I just made an aluminum extension spacer that matches the diameter and bolts (4 countersunk bolts) to the left bearing housing, this is the key component. You will want this piece long enough so that you don't lose any of the increased "X" travel that was gained in the previous mods by prematurely hitting the knee casting. I also turned a shaft extension to fit the threaded feed rod. The shaft is .629" if I remember correctly and the power feed gear bore is 5/8", yours may be different. I filed a flat on the feed shaft and set screwed the extension. In hindsight, I should have made this extension shaft about two inches longer in order to fit a left hand turning handle. I plan on making another. You will also have to turn, bore and fit some internal spacers  to fit. The instructions provided with the power feed were actually good enough to visualize what I would need once the aluminum bearing housing spacer was developed. The power feed unit also bolts to the aluminum extension via 4 tapped holes. I bolted the limit switch stops to the outside edges of the Shooting Star DRO scales. Because of the limit switch central position I had to add the 1" thick aluminum spacer to the "Y" axis bearing housing so as not to lose the increased travel that was gained by opening up the "Y" feed nut channel.

Hope this helps, if not I'll be glad to answer any other questions.

Charlie

Offline Xldevil

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 12:23:56 PM »
If you go to www.charliejoscelyn.com, 6X26, you can follow a photo trail of the mods I have completed. I have not added the write-ups yet, but I'm sure the pictures will tell the story.

ASFAICS you cut away half the material of the Y-axes´s front bearing block.Is that what you did?
Is it too demanding to ask for some words of explanation ?:)
Ralph
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 12:35:46 AM by Xldevil »

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 12:28:25 PM »
He increased the Y movement by that much. The nut hits the casting and restricts the movement. I'm planing on doing the same to my mill as soon as I get a chance. Also I'll be cutting away the bearing blocks on the X travel screw. That will increase the X movement by about 2" or so.
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Xldevil

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 01:15:37 AM »
He increased the Y movement by that much. The nut hits the casting and restricts the movement. I'm planing on doing the same to my mill as soon as I get a chance. Also I'll be cutting away the bearing blocks on the X travel screw. That will increase the X movement by about 2" or so.
Thank you.
That makes it clearer.
Unfortunately,if I would extend the travel of the axes ,I would have to buy new glass scales for my DRO also.
They are pretty new and have been not really cheap.
To be positiv,for my needs the movements are not cornucopian,but adequate.
Yesterday my riser block arrieved.It is turned to size and hollow bored,the 3 cut outs and the 6 holes for the bolts are milled already.
This has been done by a member of the steam engine community I belong to.He did the blank at his work.
Although I never met this guy in person,he gave me the blank and his work for free.Thank You,Eddy!
The center height of my Myford wasn´t big enough to turn that blank down to size.
It was weighing 30 Kg,the OD was 180mm.
Now it´s down to 15 Kg and 150mm OD.
As soon as it will get warmer,I ´ll make the bolts and the last fine cuts to the blank.
Yesterday the temperatur in my shop was 2°C.No fun to do metal work in such a surrounding.
Ralph
P.S. With the exception that my riser block has cut outs that I can use 6 short bolts instead of 3 long studs,the picture shows,how it will look,hopefully.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 01:25:03 AM by Xldevil »