Author Topic: Air Compressors & Pressurising your engines  (Read 4299 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Air Compressors & Pressurising your engines
« on: July 01, 2009, 07:24:14 AM »
I`ve done things incorrectly really - I built my first engine and with the excitement of finishing it off, I hooked up my little airbrush compressor and away it went. I gave no consideration to the pressure at all! Same with the Elmer engine I`ve nearly finished. It was only when I blew the silver soldered pin out of the cylinder that I gave it some thought. Perhaps it was just a weak joint.....

I currently have this small Airbrush Air Compressor -

I bought it years ago for my airbrush when I was spraying some car parts. It has sat stored away for years. My brother-in-law has a huge compressor with a massive air tank at the bottom and it is fantastic. It runs for ages at low pressure (just from the high pressure in the tank) and I guess this is something that could be used in the shop to dust blow and run your engines. My compressor is  1/8 HP, AIR SUPPLY 23 L/MIN,  30-35 PSI, SPEED 1450 RPM.

For model engines, is 30-35psi enough or will there be limitations in what I can run? Another issue is that it becomes extremely hot when it has been running for 4-5 minutes.

I`m just curious to see what the rest of you are using to run your engines and in your shop, what sort of pressure I should be putting through these little engines and whether in future it may be something to look out for if I come across one at the right price.

I`ve noticed RDG tools do one that is identical to mine (or looks it) with an air tank at the bottom. Now whether you can purchase the tank alone and fit it to the compressor and more importantly, if this would be beneficial.

Cheers
Chris  
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 07:25:57 AM by craynerd »

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Air Compressors & Pressurising your engines
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 07:58:20 AM »
Chris

I use an elcheapo compressor from aldi its one of the smallest you can get and it does me fine, it can even run my elbow engine and thats a greedy little beast when it comes to air consumptions, most engines will happily tick over with 5 psi or less.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 08:10:41 AM »
Cheers Stew - glad that is the case. Perhaps my little compressor is giving out a little too much at 35psi!

Chris

Offline kvom

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 08:19:12 AM »
I have a 60-gal shop compressor set to 125 psi.  Normally it is connected to a hose reel for inflating tires and running air tools, and via a home-made manifold it operates the drawbar on my mill.  For testing engines I can disconnect the mill and attach a regulator I got from Enco.

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 08:45:05 AM »
Chris

Looks like a 'generic' version of one I had several years ago, before I bought the 2HP V-Twin I have now.

They do run very hot. I put a 4" fan over the cylinder head on mine. Better, but not what you could call cool.

Probably normal...

Think how nice it is in winter ...

Dave
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.