Author Topic: power feed for mill  (Read 7699 times)

Offline John Rudd

power feed for mill
« on: July 01, 2009, 10:04:18 AM »
I'd appreciate some opinion on what to use for a power feed ( X axis ) on my mini mill.

This month's MEW has an article that uses a VW Golf wiper motor coupled to the shaft with a dog drive...

I was thinking of using a motor from a Ford Fiesta (coz I can get one cheap from Ebay) and building my own speed controller for it...

What do you think? Bad idea, is there a better solution (dont want to go the expensive route and buy a new one...we are having an economic crisis  and so is my wallet...)
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Richard48

Re: power feed for mill
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 12:41:47 PM »
Hi John:
I have the power drive from littlemachineshop.com for my Mini-Mill. Have had it for about three years now and hardly ever use it. I have found that most of the work I do the power drive is of no use to me.
Hope this helps you.

Richard
USA
Richard, Northern NY

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 02:23:52 PM »
John,

I have been using a power feed on my mill for about the last year now. Mine is a large machine but the topic is still relevent.

I have found that my surface finishes have improved dramatically. Purely because you are getting a nice constant steady feed. No little 'dips' when you normally stop slightly to grab another handful of feed handle. Also you can concentrate more on keeping the cutter area cleaned and lubricated because both hands are free, again contributing to good surface finishes.

It really has transformed the way I work.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 02:29:55 PM »
I have to agree with John here...

Since I made/fitted a power feed to my mill I have rarely used the handles. OK you still need them for pinpointing and intricate work. But for surface finishing or even bulk material removal you can't beat power feed. IMHO

There are some posts on here about my efforts in using a windscreen motor and a self built power supply.

If you have any dificulty finding them just shout up.... :thumbup:

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 03:07:58 PM »
Where abouts in the UK are you hiding John...... I've still got a few 24V motors and transformers here (Wales) and Darren has done all the work on the power supply required...... Search for the huge post on it all!!

Still haven't finished my power feed off!..... I know I'm lazy. But it's too hot at the mo'!!

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 04:08:18 PM »
Ralph,

I'm near Hull, East Yorkshire...a bit far from you..

I've read the thread and about the power supply and made my recommendations on how to improve motor performance... :thumbup:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors