Author Topic: A weeks work on offer.  (Read 4103 times)

bogstandard

A weeks work on offer.
« on: July 04, 2009, 05:40:20 PM »
With all the new members we have, and only so few bothering to introduce themselves, I was wondering if there are any brickies/chippies/builders amongst the ones we don't know about.

As the wife is tied up helping out on widening the M6 motorway, I need someone to do a couple of jobs for me.

I need someone who is within easy striking distance of Crewe in South Cheshire.

I require approx a 4ft square hole knocking in a wall and a double glazed window fitting, that would include lintels fitting, matching existing brickwork and plastering up, and of course, fitting the window to a very good standard. There might be a cable in there somewhere that will require pushing to one side.
Also I require a fairly substantial frame making out of timber, so that I can put an open clear roofed porch on the side and back of my house. I would have done this work myself a while back, but circumstances now prevent me from doing such things.

I reckon a weeks work (or even less, but I am willing to pay for a week even if the work is finished earlier). I am not after a cowboy, just someone who will do a good job for a fair rate of cash in hand. Hearty sustenance and beverages will be provided during the day. I will provide all materials if necessary, as and when you tell me what is needed. I expect to be ready for the work to start in about 8 weeks. I could assist in a limited way, you hold it while I hit it type.

It would really suit a RELIABLE professional who is suffering in these hard times, and needs a little work to keep his head above water.

All the so called workers that are interested or available in my area all walk with bowed legs and wear stetsons, and are talking telephone numbers. I would prefer not to have the jobs done than submit to them.

PM me if interested. I will keep it open for two weeks, then I will have another search in my area for a good tradesman.

John

Online Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Re: A weeks work on offer.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 02:17:02 PM »
John

Have you tried your local equivalent if this .... ?

http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/news_events/news/feature.asp

I got three double glazing units changed for £205 ... one was quite big 4' x 4',  & leaded,... next lowest quote from Yellow Pages was £580  :( :(

Good job, no hassle, came dead on time, went on time ...

Dave
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 02:18:55 PM by Bluechip »
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 03:23:55 PM »
Dave,

I have already tried to find such a thing, but nothing exists in the area I live.

My next step will be to try the occupational therapists who fitted things about my house to make it a little easier for me to get around. They may know traders in the area that will do this sort of work for reasonable rates.

I have already worked out a timescale for the work, which is a max of 5 days, but the cowboys don't seem to be happy to work for 200 squid a day, so they can kiss my ****. Maybe it is because they don't like working for people who know more than they do, and can't rip off for as much as they can get.

I had one come down about three weeks ago, and he quoted me 1300 squid for building the wooden frame, with me supplying all materials. After I told him where to go, and a load of excuses on his part, he dropped it to 600 squid, at which point I showed him the gate. What he did is a sure sign of a horse rider with a six shooter.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 03:24:37 PM »
I'd offer John, but I don't think you'd like my hat...... :lol:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 05:14:59 PM »
I just thought I would let you know, I have got myself fixed up with a top notch chippie. Charges by the day and very reasonable rates.  Found thru a mate of a mate of a mate, when the subject of lack of work came up over a pint, and my plea for help on the grapevine. Just what I am after.

Now if I could just get thru the damned double glazing salesmen so that I can get a window fitted, how and where and what type I want, not what they want me to have.

Bogs

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 07:03:10 PM »
I suppost I could help you out there Mr Standard, whats your rate for travel? :beer:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 12:52:06 AM »
The problem is John, if you fit the window, when I look thru it, everything will look upside down. :lol:

John

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 03:24:59 AM »
 :lol:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 03:25:57 AM »
Just fit it upside down...sorted.... :ddb:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)