Author Topic: Metal shaper acting up, cured!  (Read 5668 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Metal shaper acting up, cured!
« on: July 14, 2009, 11:10:11 PM »
My little 'Sally the shaper' is a dinky little machine which on a good day is a joy to play with as she clicks, whirrs and scritches through the job.

Last night she threw a little tantrum! All was going well for several minutes then there would be a sickening thunk as the tool dug in and the machine stalled! :doh:

A dig in is bad news as everything gets rather strained and has to be reset plus if it happens near the end of the job the work might have to be biffed in the bin or a nasty gouge tolerated.

So I watched, and watched and of course nothing happened then I saw it.  The clapper had managed to wear the pin out of round which meant after a hundred or so strokes the tool would not fall down and so one or two strokes followed cutting nothing but of course the feed was still advancing then when the tool finally did fall down the cut was about 3 or more time normal and hence the dig in.

A clean up and fixing the clapper pin took care of that!

Sally is a sweet little machine but she does like a little attention now and then!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 12:18:11 AM by John Hill »
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: Metal shaper acting up, cured!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 02:10:41 AM »
Lovely Little Sally.......  :wave:

Just the same as most women, demanding attention when you least expect it.........  :poke:

They never allow you to take them for granted...... For long!  ::)

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 02:20:58 AM »
Glad you fixed it John... :thumbup:

Aren't they great little devices when working smoothly.... :ddb:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 03:48:56 AM »
Too right guys!  Sally Shaper is just about my favourite toy,  sometimes I could just give her a big hug!  

In fact I can give Sally Shaper a big hug and carry her around the 'shop,  can anyone else do that with their shaper! :ddb:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 03:57:30 AM by John Hill »
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 04:04:59 AM »
Aww, mines not quite as friendly as yours John, she can give a nasty kick if you catch her at the wrong moment ..... :lol:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 04:26:44 AM »
There's always something, my big CNC decided to change the tool and instead of the hydraulic cylinder backing off after pushing the drawbar down it sat on top of it.

Cylinder is non rotating, drawbar runs at 4,000 rpm. Result, drawbar welded to the hydraulic cylinder.  As if this was bad enough total length of these two is about 28" and I have 14" clearance between the roof  :scratch:

Mucho shouting cussing and swearing but managed to strip it in situ. Total damage is two bearings and about 80 belville washers that have lost their tension. Fortunately I had a spare cylinder and drawbar from one I scrapped some years ago and kept bits for spares so i have some breathing space to order some washers.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 04:32:43 AM »
Ouch.... :hammer:

Lucky you had spares.... :thumbup: