Author Topic: What is wrong?  (Read 25908 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: What is wrong?
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2009, 08:12:40 PM »

Bernd

I think you have 2 choices on this one. :doh:

1. Pre drill before driving nail.

2. Use a better grade of nail, possibly concrete nail.

hope this helps

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Ok Don,

Will give those suggestions a try. But don't wait for an answer right away. :)

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2009, 08:14:19 PM »
Bernd,

What do you mean? I can't see you have done anything wrong.

What a great project, frugalistic house furniture.

I await your finishing the project, just two more holes to drill, and it will be ready for mounting on the wall.

I also like the dual purpose use as well, with the perfect selection of nail length and bending angle, so that it can be used as either a hat OR coat hanger.

I've got to make me a few of those. :thumbup:

Bogs

All great ideas Bogs. Think I'll hang it up in the shop and hang my shop apron on it. Thanks. :D

Bernd

bogstandard

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2009, 12:37:19 AM »
Bernd,

Whether it be a bent nail in a bit of wood, or a cutaway section of the Titanic, everyone should be entitled to show their work, whether good or bad, and receive merit for it.

I think your little joke proves my point exactly. Not everyone has to be a master craftsman to get recognition.

Even the lowliest of efforts by one person can mean the world to him, so why shouldn't he get praise for his handiwork, rather than riducule?

Lack of money, facilities and raw materials, or even ability, doesn't mean that person can't enjoy what he wants to do.

Whether it be a bent nail in a bit of wood, or a cutaway section of the Titanic, everyone should be entitled to show their work, whether good or bad, and receive merit for it.

Bogs

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2009, 02:16:31 AM »
I have noticed over the last few months, as the membership is growing, that project posting and replies to them has fallen off sharply.

It seems that if your are into sucking slugs, it gets a lot more response than the very good engineering posts that a few members are putting up here.
Bogs

Well, John Lad....

You certainly stirred things nicely with this posting......  :clap:

For the past few days I`ve had around 20 emails waiting for me, when I switch on!  :thumbup:

The forum`s never been busier...... Long may it continue.....  :D

Blummin well done!  :headbang:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2009, 10:56:55 AM »

I think your little joke proves my point exactly. Not everyone has to be a master craftsman to get recognition.

Even the lowliest of efforts by one person can mean the world to him, so why shouldn't he get praise for his handiwork, rather than riducule?

Lack of money, facilities and raw materials, or even ability, doesn't mean that person can't enjoy what he wants to do.

Bogs

Agree 100% with that John.

Bernd

bogstandard

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2009, 01:03:18 PM »
David,

It wasn't a nice thing to do, and it caused a bit of an upset in the beginning, but once people realised it was nothing nasty, and that they can talk to each other on the forum, things just went from there.

I explained early on that I was only the poster, others were involved as well, but it seemed to have worked and everyone is still talking to each other.

A good result all round for everyone I think.

John

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2009, 02:36:32 PM »
David,

It wasn't a nice thing to do, and it caused a bit of an upset in the beginning, but once people realised it was nothing nasty, and that they can talk to each other on the forum, things just went from there.

I explained early on that I was only the poster, others were involved as well, but it seemed to have worked and everyone is still talking to each other.

A good result all round for everyone I think.

John

Its a natural cycle, takes a little push once in a while to keep the cycle going. Kinda like the neighbor dog who likes to play fetch. Always coming to the shop door wanting to play. tugging at your pant leg for attention. For a while it is a pleasant change. But it can get . . . and so the dog comes around less often. After a while one begins to miss the dog and stick, a little holler out and the cycle repeats.

Regardless of niceties, some things are just given their due, as it is now time for my sardine and coffee break, everything else can wait.

Robert
Ignorance is Bliss, thus I aim for Perfection

Offline Alan Haisley

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2009, 12:08:44 AM »
Bernd,

After looking this over:

It really looks like an excellent example of a bent nail in a piece of wood. I don't believe that I have ever seen better, even by master craftsmen.

Alan

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2009, 04:48:16 AM »
Im a little dissapointed the nail should be SHINY

Im very guilty of the not posting But I read all of it.  And learn al LOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Im making a tumbler reverse for my 918 warco lathe  will start a separate post about that  -it will be slow its 2 months in already and still nowhere close.

Will shout every now and agian.

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2009, 01:58:27 PM »

Well here's my "bent nail in a piece of wood", what did I do wrong?  :lol:

I'll be back on Sunday night to find out the answer. Need to go get the wife from the vacation camp.

Bernd

Bernd

I am willing to bet that you never imagined how much milage you were going to get out of the bent spike and 2x4. Just the way the knot is centered and the angle of the bent spike, tells me that it just happened that way. If you would have planned it that way it would not have worked out as good. I hope that at least you fasten it on the wall to hang a hat or shop coat on.

I think this is just one of those "I couldn't have done it if I tried" things. :)

Cheers :beer: :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2009, 02:53:09 PM »
I am willing to bet that you never imagined how much mileage you were going to get out of the bent spike and 2x4.

Guys, this image is now an ICON and to be fair is almost the symbol of MadModder  :clap: ............. and as such, someone ought to go and check that it is in a place of honour, revered by all who pass by 

so who' lives near Bern'd  ........................ if there's no takers I'll go if Eric's paying expenses  :bugeye: 

CC

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2009, 05:32:20 PM »

Guys, this image is now an ICON and to be fair is almost the symbol of MadModder  :clap: ............. and as such, someone ought to go and check that it is in a place of honour, revered by all who pass by 

so who' lives near Bern'd  ........................ if there's no takers I'll go if Eric's paying expenses  :bugeye: 

CC

CrewCab

I never thought of it that way but now that you have mentioned it and the more I think about it, "this image is now an ICON and to be fair is almost the symbol of MadModder". I am quite sure that when bernd sees these posts he will let us know his feelings. :doh:

In the mean time, everyone could email, fax, write, just add a short post here encouraging bernd to do the right thing . :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2009, 05:59:47 PM »

Bernd ............ are we worthy   :lol: :smart: :lol:

CC

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2009, 08:29:40 PM »
AW, gee, shucks guys.

I don't know what to say. I guess if it's Ok'd by Eric, it's OK by me.

And all I wanted to do is make a "funny" with that post.

Now I'm going to have to hang that "symbol" on my shop door. Stay tuned pics to follow.

Bernd

Offline websterz

« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2009, 08:40:54 AM »
Summer in Oklahoma + stuffy building = No place to be!

Actually the heat has subsided a bit and I now have no more excuses for not being in the shop, so yesterday I (re)started a couple of projects I have been needing to get done. I made a new baseplate and handwheel for my tailstock, and beefed up the adjusting mechanism. I will post up pics of the finished product and of my tailstock alignment process tomorrow. I also pulled my power feed project out of mothballs and got it about 95% finished. My dad came by with a few large boxes of stuff for my shop the other day, included were several little aluminum project boxes. One of them was a perfect fit for my motor control board, that being the last bit I needed to complete the job. I just have to fab up one more little aluminum bit and attach the controller then that project will be done finally!  :D While I'm on the mill I need to get that new Z axis rack installed and find enough scrap lead to cast up a counterweight....here we go again...

:proj:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2009, 06:35:57 PM »
Here's the pic of the "symbol" hung on my door to the model shop.

Seems like the master is away as the chair is empty at the moment.  :lol:

Benrd

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2009, 08:19:38 PM »
Here's the pic of the "symbol" hung on my door to the model shop.

Seems like the master is away as the chair is empty at the moment.  :lol:

Benrd

Thanks Bernd. Now all will be able to rest assured that the spirit of MadModder as well as its symbol will live on. :D :D

Isn't it amazing some of the turns these thread can take? :ddb: :ddb:

cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2009, 08:58:14 PM »
Ya your right. I'm starting to think this subject is starting to turn  :offtopic:. But hey, it's in the right area.  :D

Bernd