Author Topic: OK, OK, Stop with the nagging already  (Read 8486 times)

Offline old-biker-uk

• Taunton, Somerset
    • An Old Biker's Stuff
OK, OK, Stop with the nagging already
« on: July 17, 2009, 03:41:08 PM »
I hesitated to post my lastest project as it is of limited interest (devotees of Ornamental Turning are as rare as rocking horse droppings) so it is on a couple of other more relevent forums (If you've read about this elsewhere, pass by, I won't be offended....)
Still I suppose as this is Madmodder & you need to be a few bob short of a quid to build one of these, perhaps this is the right place after all.
I've had an on & off interest in OT for years (currently on) and would like a Rose Engine to play with, BUT they cost 'muckle siller' as my late father in law would have said. So the only option is to make one. Here is the progress so far.

For the full SP on the project have a look here.
Mark
What you say and what people hear are not always the same thing.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: OK, OK, Stop with the nagging already
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 03:52:45 PM »
That is really interesting! I would like to see more about it.

ofc...

"we're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

I for one am interested in this... not everything is about model engineering. Good job so far. Now... hows it gonna work?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 04:13:30 PM »
Wow

That looks muckle complicated A wonderful bit of setting up and improvisation.

Thanks for the link.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 04:29:59 PM »
That is a wonderous machine you are getting together there Mark.

I am sure, with your dedication, you will have it making fantastic patterns in no time.

It is one of those areas of engineering that has been made redundant by the use of CNC, but to me, the first time I ever saw a rose engine in operation, the precision they worked to and the decorative effects they produced ensured I was hooked for life.

It is only thru the dedication of people like yourself who keep this (very expensive and even harder to find machines) side of engineering alive.

I can't wait until you start producing things off it. I am sure you will amaze everyone on here with what it can do.

John

Offline old-biker-uk

• Taunton, Somerset
    • An Old Biker's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
Now... hows it gonna work?
Good question... The whole headstock is free to rock (slightly!) against a spring. The mandrel is also free to move axially again against a spring. The actual rocking or 'pumping' movement is controlled by those curly things (called rosettes)on the mandrel which are held by the springs against a fixed rubbers. As the work on the mandrel rotates it will either rock or pump depending on the rosette, the work is cut by a rotating (or fixed if you are really skilled and have a good machine) tool mounted on a compound table.
See one in action here.

Bogs - thanks for the encouragement.
You are right in that it would be so much easier with CNC but for me there would be no fun in that.
Anyway, have you seen my shop? where would I put CNC machines? I'm still trying to figure out where to put Rosy, probably have to be on top of something else...
Mark
What you say and what people hear are not always the same thing.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 05:21:13 PM »
Limited interest.....where did you get that from?

It's fascinating, still trying to get my head around the workings. I take it the headstock is turned manually and not by a motor?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 06:34:50 PM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 06:21:41 PM »
Mark,

There was no way I was insinuating you should go down the CNC route. I just mentioned that nowadays CNC would be the method used. I love the way old machines work.

Have you considered making one of the engine turning lathes? Now that would be a nice lifetimes project.

I think this method is at least a couple of centuries old, maybe more. Proving they had mass production way before any of us realise.
You can visualise a little street urchin, pumping away at a treadle driven cutter setup for a bowl of gruel and a lump of bread a day. Not much different from nowadays I suppose.

Lovely example shown in the vid BTW.

Bogs

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 07:43:07 PM »
Cool..... Rose engines are so very facinating to watch a skilled man work......

Spent a while at a show chatting to a guy who had one set up.... He showed me how it worked on some delrin.... very, very cool!

I'd have one if I could afford it and if I thought I could manage to control it!!

You have a definate watcher here Mark  :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 08:46:04 PM »
That is so cool. It is not quite what I was thinking it was. I was thinking I had seen on a show about watch making that they showed a rose engine for machining fancy detail work into the watch faces. Ill be watching and learning also.

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 09:06:43 PM »
Wow, that is really neat.  Never saw that before, either.  I always wondered how that stuff was cut, I assumed it was some sort of CNC router.  Never imagined that it could be done like that.  Really cool stuff. 
Creating scrap, one part at a time

bogstandard

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 10:56:12 PM »
Zeus,

This is the metal cutting version

There are a couple of short vids and piccies on this link.

http://www.rgmwatches.com/engine.html

It was this technique coupled with glass enamelling that Faberge was renowned for.

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 01:50:53 AM »
Mark

Just watched the video, fasinating, I think I've got the processes but I'd really have to take one of those roosters to pieces to really get it, thats a very interesting and skillful project you've started there.

Thanks for sharing

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 09:13:27 PM »
Yeah John thats what I was thinking of. Thanks for the link.

I just looked again, that is actually the company that the show I watched was about.