Author Topic: Rocker Engine  (Read 29168 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Rocker Engine
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2009, 05:01:27 AM »
There's some nice looking rockers coming out of this place, well done JohnS, yours is looking very different again, and very nice too... :clap:

Keep this up and i might come down with  :proj:

Getting closer to having some machines running again, and feel a bug coming on..... :doh:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2009, 05:14:27 AM »
They just keep getting fancier all the time.

I'd best take a double shot before the fever sets in and I start a-singing

"I'm gonna get ya little Rocker" and make a half scale version

Robert
Ignorance is Bliss, thus I aim for Perfection

Offline John-Som

• Start Model Engineering
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2009, 09:22:34 AM »
Thanks Guys

Have you noticed how our main suspect is now trying to pass the buck on to an innocent sole  -it's shameful !

BTW Stew, belated best wishes on your retirement. I have now been retired for 11 years and everyday still feels like a holiday - enjoy yourself.

Bogs, as usual you read me like a book - I am aiming vaguely for an art deco look, sort of Odeon cinema 1920.

JohnS

start-model-engineering.co.uk - a friendly place for model engineering beginners

Online Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2009, 09:29:48 AM »
Wow. Missed the last half of this thread. Very cool rocker. Love the acrylic (it is acrylic?).

Rockers are turning out nice!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2009, 01:22:45 PM »
Thanks Guys

Have you noticed how our main suspect is now trying to pass the buck on to an innocent sole  -it's shameful !

Your right, shame on Bogs

Posted by: Brass_Machine
Wow. Missed the last half of this thread. Very cool rocker. Love the acrylic (it is acrylic?).

That is it. Wasn't planned that way, cutting that stuff was a whole new experience.

Robert

bogstandard

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2009, 04:14:56 PM »
I would just like to make an apology, in case anyone was upset by my statement.

rather than go Lemming fashion and make direct from plans.

I now know that this could very easily cause offence to people new to the art of making these engines, and really should have been worded better by myself.

Some people enjoy making directly from plans, and stick with the original dimensions and shapes, my statement should have read that it is rather easy to modify the drawings to make a more personalised engine.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2009, 04:35:33 PM »
That's quite alright John, you can call me a Lemming if it pleases you... :thumbup:

Another slant on the issue, I'm following your Paddleduck plans as precisely as I'm able to teach myself accuracy....

But I may deviate at some point......... :ddb:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2009, 04:43:04 PM »
You change whatever you want to Darren, it is your build, and as such, only you know what you are willing to accept with regards to changes.

It is that individuality that makes life so pleasant.

What would the world be like if everyone liked the same music, food, clothes, cars etc. I am sure there would be booming sales of nooses.

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2009, 04:52:19 PM »

BTW Stew, belated best wishes on your retirement. I have now been retired for 11 years and everyday still feels like a holiday - enjoy yourself.

JohnS

Thanks John

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Online Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2009, 05:44:37 PM »

Posted by: Brass_Machine

That is it. Wasn't planned that way, cutting that stuff was a whole new experience.

Robert

Robert, would you elaborate on that statement? I have an idea that would use some acrylic... having an idea of how to machine it before I do would be great! You can start another thread so as not to muddy this one.

Thanks
Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2009, 06:20:33 PM »

Robert, would you elaborate on that statement? I have an idea that would use some acrylic... having an idea of how to machine it before I do would be great! You can start another thread so as not to muddy this one.

Thanks
Eric

The one experience, good thing I had a foot or so of the stuff.

Drilling the bore hole. First crack at it took it like it was metal. Drilled a slight undersized hole to then ream to size. Ah no. Spun it fast and a sharp bit, way over size. Went down on the initial hole size, think it was around 0.300. Hole surface little milky appearance but not to bad off. This time the reamer 0.374 had some meat to remove. Hole surface not bad. Spun it slow and feed the reamer in with the tailstock crank. Hole came out at 0.380. used a wooden plug with polish past to get the surface clear. Easy op, Finish hole size was 0.382. Salvation was i turned the piston to 0.385 so I could fit it to the cylinder, saved me from having to make another.

Flycutter for the flat side of the cylinder. Cranked the lathe up to 3k with light cuts and just spun the crank by hand. Surface perty smooth, a few swipes of 220-400 and some polish paste came out clear as a bell.

Like I said this is the first time I tried cutting that stuff, what i gather is to leave lots of extra material on the outsides and make the bored holes way undersized. Easy stuff to sand to size, real easy for the machine to make scrap out of it.

Buffing wheel will quickly round the edges, so that usage is a light touch affair or real soft wheel. The piston bore will quickly let you know how smooth the piston is. Have to re polish the bore before I make it a shelf queen :)

Now if any of that makes sense your a better reader than I am  a writer. For a see through, its good stuff.

Robert