Author Topic: Super Glue???  (Read 2967 times)

Offline steam oil

Super Glue???
« on: July 20, 2009, 02:53:04 AM »
Hi

In the next couple of months I hope to buy a X3 mill.

I would like to fit a DRO to it, and have been looking around for some method of mounting the brackets. :bang:

What are the groups opinion of using one of the modern glues.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: Super Glue???
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 03:05:08 AM »
Would it not be more secure and accurate to drill and tap the bracket mounting point so that they can be screwed in. I have done this on my X2 and it is very good. I would not trust any form of glue - I imagine there are some very strong glues but I can`t see that any of them would be good enough to rely on!  Perhaps others on he will have a more valid opinion than mine!

Chris

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 03:17:49 AM »
I wouldn't recomend glue you want something you can be 100% confident with.

On the side I'm planning to fit a DRO to my X3 what sort are you thinking off, I've had my eye one that comes as a kit fixings supplied can't remember who sells them I'll check when I get home and post the name.

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 03:57:03 AM »
Steam Oil,

I personally wouldn't use superglue, even one of the flexible types. You will have all sorts of things whizzing around on your machine, oils etc., and it might not hold permanently.

I would go, if you want to go down that route, with a slow set epoxy. But only after both jointing parts have been both mechanically and chemically cleaned (sandpaper and spirits).

I have also found that the Acrylic type of epoxies are great, such as Stabilit, which is available all over the continent, but you only have about 5 to 10 mins work time before it starts to set. But the bond is one of the best I have come across without going into industrial adhesives, where, if you are willing to pay for it, can be almost as strong as a welded joint.

Hope this helps.

Bogs

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 06:05:34 AM »
Surely you would want the option to remove the DRO or bracket should you need to for one reason or another? - I guess glueing would allow that either.