Author Topic: Bogs Bitten By Bling Bug !!!  (Read 27995 times)

bogstandard

Bogs Bitten By Bling Bug !!!
« on: July 21, 2009, 06:08:50 PM »
It is many moons since I have done bling of any sort of size, well over a year, and seeing that these new engines had sprung up onto the scene, I thought I would give myself a rest from my mundane workshop chores, and get myself a bit of a moral booster.

Stew called yesterday, and was sworn to secrecy over it, with me having it finished and displayed by the end of today.

Unfortunately, personal issues got in the way, and the project had to be dropped just after lunch. So I have just been in the shop, and taken a piccy at how far I have got at this time. I will just make a normal sort of post out of it.

BLING - shiny bits, an engine that doesn't look like the original, if there is an original. ONE STEP BEYOND (or even a few).

Just to give you would be blingers a little help to achieve the simple effects I will be showing here.

When an engine is designed and made, certain points have to be adhered to. Usually strokes, cylinder bores, port positions etc.
The parts that hold all these holes together are usually left as a bland lump of metal. So if you can carve that plain looking stuff into another shape, and if you can get a bit of polish on it as well, then you end up with an engine that is truly yours, and not just another copy.

Not a full warts and all, just moments in time.

As usual, I did a little forwards planning, so instead of starting off with a square bit of bar, I took an oversized lump of round and got it onto the RT.

I then used the RT to put a square end on it.

Slap it onto the lathe, and get the square end's dimensions spot on.

The bore was then drilled and reamed to both depth and size.
It is now where things start to change. Unfortunately, no pics were taken, but I hope you can understand what I got up to.

The part was swung around, and because I had more meat than shown on the original plans, I could carve it to whatever shape I liked. This time, I thought I would make it look like a single cylinder IC engine, complete with domed head and a small inlet tube, to take a silicon fuel tube type airline. The grooves and inlet were formed on the lathe with cutters, all the rest was filed and shaped by hand on the lathe.

But as you can see, nothing of the original drawings are changed, except the bits of metal holding things in the correct positions.

The part was then put onto the mill, and the square bit cut to shape, and the hole put in it for the crankshaft bush.

Remember, if you are going to hold bits in the vice like this, you must put something exactly the same width at the other end of the jaws, otherwise the part is liable to become airbourne, because the jaws tighten up on the tilt and don't hold the part correctly. I used a 1/2" wide parallel.

So this is a pic of the original, and my meagre not quite finished offering.
If you look very carefully, at the back edge of the bottom plate bit, you will just see the end of a tiny slot. This is where the redesigned stand will be silver soldered to.

Getting ready to bore the soft jaws to get the flywheel on it's way. The boring was completed, and the flywheel blank was made. This chuck will now be fitted to the RT and the flywheel carved to whatever shape takes my fancy. It was at this stage, that I had to leave in a hurry.

So these are the bits that I have nearly finished so far.
The flywheel needs finishing off, and the crankshaft and disc need to be made.
The stand base was carved and shaped by means of machine and hand, out of a grotty bit of offcut brass, and the stand upright was hand carved and shaped out of a bit of brass engraving plate.

I got the original Crap-o-Cad designer to do an artists impression of the finished engine, at great expense to myself. The whole tip of a pencil was almost worn away.

So that's it for now, I hope to get back onto it tomorrow, it all depends what the day brings.

Bogs

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Bogs Bitten By Bling Bug !!!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 06:36:25 PM »
Nice one Bogs.

For a minuete there I thought Ralph had come over and bitten you on the your derrière.  :lol:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 06:42:04 PM »
Ralph stole took my Bling King crown a while back.

I am getting into training to snatch it back. But Steve and his Duclos engine is going to be the one to beat, as Ralph is on a bling downer at the moment, and he will be a walkover (fighting talk).

Challenge on?

Bogs

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 06:47:36 PM »
Sounds like fightin' words to me.  :clap:

Bernd

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 08:04:28 PM »
I'm too tired.... Maybe soon we will have a little contest..... But I fear Steve has the big leagues sorted!!!

Looking nice on the base shape there John, ant that cylinder is kinda sweet too  :thumbup:

Soon time to bolt your polishing buffer down eh?

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 08:28:46 PM »
Bolting down has been done for weeks, in preparation for the coming days.

John

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 09:07:39 PM »
Well, whatya know.  I was going to do my cylinder like that (the fins, not the rounded end), and decided against it.  Seems I spend a lot of time and energy modifying parts, and never finish.  So, I told myself to stick to the plans this time, and get it DONE.  I even started out with a bit of round stock, but fought the desire to go off the beaten path too much.

Great minds think alike, eh?  Next time I'll give in to my bling urges.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 09:49:08 AM »
Bogs,

Great stuff there, glad to see you doing something as a break from your mundane workshop tasks.

I usually end up redesigning stuff to suit what metal I have in my scrap box, I say scrap box, but all my metal is scrap really, the only stuff I've ever bought was when I decided to take the plunge and buy loads of materials to make sweet pea ...suffice to say that has never happened!

No matter how much I try to bling things, they always end up looking industrial / purposeful as opposed to shiny and fancy!

I need to learn some polishing techniques etc. and probably get some patience! Does everybody here use proper buffing wheels to achieve these fantastic finishes? I was reading some of the posts on polishing the other day but a lot of it went straight over my head!

Nick

bogstandard

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 11:13:02 AM »
I have made my own buffing station out of a cheapo 8" grinder and a couple of pigtails.

Have a look on here, they take a while to download, but they should give you some good tips.

http://www.moleroda.com/acatalog/Polishing_Kit_Demo_Videos.html

Bogs

bogstandard

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 05:36:02 PM »
I now can't get a good run at this thing, so I will have to do it in dribs and drabs.

The fist thing before going any further is get the bits silver soldered together. The stand top and the crankshaft bearing, were easy, just a bit of flux and silver solder and they were soon stuck on. The bearing in this shot still needs to be soldered.
I did it this way around because it was easier to stick the bits together in this state and then join it to the main base rather than the other way around.

For putting the base on, I built a little supporting blockwork with bits of firebrick to allow me to heat the base from underneath. When silver soldering, you should never, if at all possible, play the flame directly onto the solder and flux. You should heat up the largest part, and the conducted heat will melt the solder, and it will flow into the joint. Solder always flows towards the heat.
When you cut up bits of solder for use, they are then called pallions, it is a name that jewellers use, and it has tranfered across into our hobby.
As you can see in the pic, down the slot and around the joint liquid flux was put, just powdered flux mixed with a few drops of water and a minute amount of washing up liquid. Into the flux I put small pallions of solder wire. In the two end half rounds on the slot, that were formed by the milling cutter, I put some extra wire in there to fill in the holes.

A couple of minutes later, the job was done. If you look at the upright part of the stand, you will notice that very little heat has travelled upwards to cause the previous soldered joints to come apart. This was all due to heating from underneath.
Like any other job we do, forwards planning is essential. You need to be able to visualise the problems that can occur, before they happen. You can then plan the job so very few problems crop up.

The flywheel blank got it next.
Moved the chuck from the lathe to RT and centred everything up.
I had a vision for what I wanted the flywheel to look like. Three spokes, very slightly offset to one side, widening from the centre out, and with one edge of each spoke scalloped. Like a radioactive batman theme.
No figures were used, I just drilled and cut by eye until I had something close to what was wanted.

Both main bits roughed out, ready to start the big clean up. Blinging isn't all to do with polishing and painting. A lot of it is making the basic parts, then hand finishing until it is something like. All traces of solder removed, joints blended into each other so it looks like it was made out of one piece. Only then can it be polished, but first, ALL machining marks have to be flatted out, and no scratches left on the surfaces. For polishing, the surface has to be smooth as silk BEFORE you can start. Any blemish on the surface of the work comes out as a horrible ripple on the surface after is is polished. It is just a matter of finger aching hard work.

This is the first preliminary clean up. Final polishing won't be done until just before final assembly. The stand has been cleaned up and joints blended in. Still a lot of work to do on that. The flywheel came out very close to what I wanted, it just needs a little hand dressing to get the spokes matched up, and it will be just fine.

I now have a bit of a dilemma. I need a good base for it to stand on. I am leaning towards the jet black polished acrylic look, but on the other hand, although I hate working with wood, I do like a nice polished wooden base.

Why does life have to be so difficult, decisions, decisions.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 05:40:46 PM »
acrylic....looks stunning against.... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 06:00:41 PM »
Got that "Jetsons" look to it. Cogswell Sprockets
Ignorance is Bliss, thus I aim for Perfection

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 06:46:23 PM »
Bogs,

Nice design. I really like the looks of that engine. It sort of looks "steampunk" with that round finned cylinder and the spokes on the flywheel.

I think you out did yourself on this one.  :thumbup:

Bernd

bogstandard

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 06:59:10 PM »
It might not even run yet, but at least it will look pretty.

Bogs

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 07:20:10 PM »
It might not even run

Yeah, right.  Pull the other leg.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 07:22:03 PM »
Oooooh Bogs , lookin good. That cylinder came out very well.

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 10:47:40 PM »
Jeezz....

I go deep sea fishing for one day and I come back to find the Bogster has turned back in to an exterior decorator, playing at "Pimp My Project"....LOL. Glad to see you are finally back from wherever you were hiding, ready to make a "real mans engine"....(grin)

I'll happily give up the title but bring your "A" game....LOL.  It's about time you got back to work. Ralph... I think we can take him... eh?

Steve

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 10:51:16 PM »
Wow. Very cool retro look there John! I dig it.

Can't wait to see more.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

bogstandard

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 12:00:38 AM »
Thanks gents, but comments should be kept until the finished project is on show. These piccies are just to explain how I go about blinging.

Don't worry Steve, once this and the little refurb job are done, I will be starting on the Halo project. But that means I will only have 4 weeks to complete 5 engines. A very tall order in the light of the situation that is happening at the moment.

I have a Steam Rally to prepare for in about another 7 weeks, so things are going to be very tight. The Halo project might have to be dropped half way thru, I will just have to see how it goes.

Bogs

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 03:59:01 AM »
Great stuff Bogs,

Am hoping for the polished acrylic base!

Nick

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 04:06:11 AM »
Thanks John!

That`s given me several ideas.......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

bogstandard

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 06:55:02 AM »
So, another hour or so in the shop this morning, getting bits and pieces roughed out and shaped.

Flywheel hubnut, plus a little bit of fine drilling to get the conrod looking slightly different.

This is how the flywheel and hubnut looks when assembled. The flywheel takes careful looking after because the spokes are only 0.030" (0.75mm) thick, and can easily be bent.

Not much to show for many hours work, but at least all the rough bits are done, except for that 'orrible looking square bit on the cylinder. That is going to get a real good dose of looking at, very soon.
I assembled all the bits and stuck 5 psi into it. What an anti climax, just started ticking over as merrily as could be, with no lube.
It will be getting a little on final assembly.

I have decided to go with the acrylic, just need to find the correct shape for it to be.

Bogs

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 07:11:40 AM »
looks pretty amazing... nice picture as well.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 09:18:44 AM »
Out standing job Bog's.

Nice finish so far.

Bernd

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 09:20:14 AM »
What happened to the competition element, who else could possibly be in the running....

Except Steve maybe, he might be able to give you a run...... :ddb:

Very nice indeed John..... :clap:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)