Author Topic: Workshop Security  (Read 76876 times)

Offline Majorstrain

• Perth, West Australia
Re: Workshop Security
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2011, 10:28:38 AM »
About 12 months ago I had a visit from a "local" Australian.

My shop is about 5mts away from the house and the shed door is inline with the house side door which is inline with the passage from the dunny. (toilet)

Well it came to pass one night that I needed a break if you know what I mean,  :coffee: so I just wondered into the house for a few minutes. When I'd finished I stopped to talk to the wife in the passage but noticed something not right in the shed doorway.  It was half a head protruding into the opening of the doorway at gut height from inside the shed.
Well he must have decided that he'd been spotted and took off up the driveway.
That's when my legs started moving before my brain. I yelled and took off out the door after him.
I lost him after negotiating 2 small fences and a few front yards, when he went over a tall gate in the next street.

I put my lack of speed down to being 40 and not the sportsman type as well as trying to hold my pants up at the time.
Good thing he was faster, I hadn't got to thinking what I was going to do if I actually caught him. :wack:

It was just an opportunistic visit and nothing was missing, Never had a problem before or since.
Cheers.
Phil

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2011, 01:40:49 PM »
It is annoying that some people feel they have the right just to walk in and take something.

:beer:
DaveH
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Sic Semper Tyrannis

« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2011, 01:59:32 PM »
"Sorry to here of your problem with thieves. I am going through the same thing here at the moment.
Just on a month ago I had someone cut my rear chain wire fence and come up the paddock and steel my 2 dogs that where in a fully enclosed compound. The dogs where only a Labrador and a jack Russel so not expensive, but I think it was done so they could come back at a latter date, as these 2 would go off barking if anyone was around.
They were not after them for value as I have another dog further up which is a staffy bull terrier and worth a lot more than those 2 put together."

Do they do the dog fighting thing down there?  If so labs and jack russels are used as bait dogs in training.  Friend of ours put a JR up on craigslist ("Free JRT, most be only dog, doesn't like other dogs) and she got tons of calls from people.  When she said she wanted to see where the lived and where the dog would stay they never called back.  She got a note from someone explaining that most CL free dogs get fed to fighting dogs.....sick sick sick.....

Who knew you had to lock up your dogs from thieving scum??

Here's to hoping that isn't where yours went...

My garage is residential and I really haven't thought much about security...but now I really am paranoid after reading this!!!!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2011, 07:30:59 PM »
What really got me worried was a few days ago I locked my house and work keys in the house on my way to work. I had to break into the house to get them because my wife was out of town. It took me about 20 seconds :bugeye: I grabbed the LOCKED front door knob and twisted it really hard and it opened right up. Didn't make any noise or anything.

I really like the idea of another deadbolt up high. I might do that to my shop doors.

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2011, 07:36:58 PM »
Wes

You might want to change this post. You don't want to be giving thieves any more ideas on how to easily get into your house.  :doh:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Davo J

« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2011, 09:38:42 PM »
"Sorry to here of your problem with thieves. I am going through the same thing here at the moment.
Just on a month ago I had someone cut my rear chain wire fence and come up the paddock and steel my 2 dogs that where in a fully enclosed compound. The dogs where only a Labrador and a jack Russel so not expensive, but I think it was done so they could come back at a latter date, as these 2 would go off barking if anyone was around.
They were not after them for value as I have another dog further up which is a staffy bull terrier and worth a lot more than those 2 put together."

Do they do the dog fighting thing down there?  If so labs and jack russels are used as bait dogs in training.  Friend of ours put a JR up on craigslist ("Free JRT, most be only dog, doesn't like other dogs) and she got tons of calls from people.  When she said she wanted to see where the lived and where the dog would stay they never called back.  She got a note from someone explaining that most CL free dogs get fed to fighting dogs.....sick sick sick.....

Who knew you had to lock up your dogs from thieving scum??

Here's to hoping that isn't where yours went...

My garage is residential and I really haven't thought much about security...but now I really am paranoid after reading this!!!!

Hi,
I believe there is dog fighting around here, but you don't hear of it.
We have rang the animal shelter each week, but nothing their. It's hard to have a viscous dog over here as they will take you to court if it bites someone and put the dog down. Our staffy got out and ran up to 2 German shepherds getting walked to play with them. The lady made a complaint, and he is now down as a dangerous dog and after 3 strikes he gets put down from the authorities.

He wouldn't hurt a fly, OK he has got a few chooks from next door that wander in our yard, LOL But the neighbor did say he can have what ever chooks stray over their, as long as he doesn't come in his yard getting them.
Any dog with (Bull) in the name is looked down at over here as be savage. We used to bread English bull terriers and I could understand if they where stolen as they where big money.

Dave

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2011, 12:54:19 PM »
I have not followed this thread very well and this may have been mentioned previously. I have a friend that lives in a rural area. He has several out buildings containing tools and machinery. He always leaves a radio playing 24/7 in each of the buildings so one would not know if it was actually unoccupied. He has not had a break-in in over 30 years. Is it because of the radio? Can't say for sure but it may have helped.

BTW He is not exactly in a high rent neighborhood. While he is rural the county population is mostly lower middle class.

Joe

Offline Weston Bye

• Grand Blanc, Michigan
« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2011, 07:45:28 PM »
He always leaves a radio playing 24/7 in each of the buildings so one would not know if it was actually unoccupied

I do the radio thing in my workshop, even though it is attached to the house.  

I have occasionally considered a quiet, low-speed gearbox and cam arrangement that would pseudo-randomly cycle a hammer to clunk a few taps,  then later lift a wrench on a string and allow it to fall to the floor, cycle a motor on for a bit, then off, some random workshop noises, etc.....  Make the place sound lived in by a nocturnal mechanical fiend.

edit to add:  randomly pass a flag between a lamp and the window shade to give the impression of motion.
Weston Bye
Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts.
author of The Mechatronist column
Digital Machinist magazine

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2011, 07:55:20 PM »
Better still Wes is to make a tape recording when you are working and leave it on playback.

Perhaps connected to a motion sensor ?

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Davo J

« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2011, 09:22:12 PM »
When I looking up the security systems on ebay, I saw Cd's getting sold that had voices of blokes talking, you could either buy ones with 2 voices talking about random stuff or 4 voices. I have just spend 20 minutes looking for them but I can't find them again. :doh: :doh: :doh:
From memory they where around $40 each which I though was expensive, but they might be onto a good thing.
If I do happen to find them again, I will post them up here.

Dave

Offline Pete49

« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2011, 11:14:32 PM »
Dave try Ebay in the caravan section. See them there often

Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline Davo J

« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2011, 11:35:34 PM »
Thanks that got it, now I remember it was aimed at caravans as well.
Here it is
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HERE24-7-THEFT-CD3-SMARTEST-CARAVAN-ACCESSORIES-/180650377019?pt=Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a0f99ff3b

There where other ones in the Us I am pretty sure as well.

Dave

Offline Russell Nash

• Obsessive Compulsive Slob
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2011, 12:11:18 PM »
Wow, after feeling crappy that my shop was in the basement, and I wouldn't be able to get something as big as a BP down there; I feel better now.  The house is built with security draw-down doors over all windows and the garden door and the front door is a re-enforced security door.  There is a security system for when we aren't there, and a four-legged security system to add personal protection for us when we are home. 
Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I came, I saw, I stuck around

Offline Joules

« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2011, 02:22:06 PM »
We have a "Female" German Shepherd and cctv.   Stepped up security over the last couple of years due to incidents, glad we did as things don't seem to be improving with the economic downturn.

Joules

p.s
      best bet is not to advertise what you have, keep doors shut if visible from road etc.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline AR1911

« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2011, 02:29:28 PM »
      best bet is not to advertise what you have, keep doors shut if visible from road etc.

The only time my shop was broken into was a few weeks after I had a garage sale there.
I think the no-goods across the street figured out it was worth a return shopping trip. Cleaned me out.

Offline Russell Nash

• Obsessive Compulsive Slob
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2011, 06:02:39 PM »
I forgot to mention the Beware of Dog signs.  Sometimes that's enough to make them move on.

I heard the story of one guy whose dog caught a thief.  He had an enlarged copy of the newspaper article made, laminated it, and put it on a signpost out front.  His place was never broken into again.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I came, I saw, I stuck around

Offline Pappy Frank

« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2011, 11:00:48 PM »
Interresting Thread.

When my two sons were home (the youngest is 29) We had a Hawk Block (Hawk being a tommyhawk) that we would throw at as well as knives we threw at it too. We also would fence with proper fencing sword and equipment and we done these things in the front yard of our home. I was in a local town (17 miles away) and heard some people talking and one said, "stay away from them, they are crazy" Well as I evesdropped a little more, they were talking about us. Interesting, but I still have the reputation of being crazy and also the rep for setting traps (wihich I Do NOT do) but it helps keep unwanted people away.

I also have a 120 pound German Shepherd dog which helps.

I think the wisest thing I ever saw though was a man who would put his 3 dogs in his shop at night. If anyone ever tried to break in, the dogs made a lot of noise and of course the thugs do not want to be bitten so they leave. This was in a bad part of Phoeniz AZ and he never had a break in. These dogs were not pets, but security. They stayed in a kennel during the time thre shope was open.

Point of the story, you do not need a dog that will harm, just one that will make noise. People are inherently afraid of dogs.

Good Luck with your problems.

Pappy Frank

Offline Joules

« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2011, 06:05:08 AM »
That was good to hear Frank,
           we have a pair of fencing foils on the wall here.  I hadn't thought about using them in the front garden.  Think I will put on my mankini and fence with a few bushes  :bugeye:
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline fluxcored

« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2011, 08:10:50 AM »
lolz - all my budz are emigrating because of our high crime rate!! I should show them this thread.

I've never had anything stolen from any of my properties - except for some underpants but the thief left my Levi's, my wife suspect it's one of my old girlfriends, and on another occasion a pair of safety boots.

My 2 dogs - they've got hearts of gold but they do scare off would be intruders.
"Living is a dangerous occupation. Just look at all the dead people out there." - Thomas Lipton