Author Topic: Workshop Security  (Read 76952 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Re: Workshop Security
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 04:57:05 PM »
CC,  I believe at Mr Bogs' place Bandit takes care of all rodents!
From the den of The Artful Bodger

bogstandard

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 06:00:00 PM »
Don't forget, not just rodents, but  jammie doughnuts, pies, biscuits, in fact anything that will fit in the hole at the front of his head, hence the FAT cat flap.

Bogs

Offline RipSlider

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2009, 12:42:11 PM »
Over here, you find them, ring police, wait several hours if not days depending how busy they are, (in my case it was over a week) for them to give you a crime No' for your insurance company so you can make a claim.

Darren: "Hello, police? There a chap trying to break into my shed? Fancy popping over and nabbing him?
Police: Sorry old chum - bit busy at the mo. How does next tuesday sound?
Darren:  Hmmm... not so good to be honest. Wait.... Ah... it's OK... I've just shot him myself... winged the blighter in the leg...No need to rush now. See you on Tuesday.

Within thirty minutes:  1x helicopter, 2x armed response units and 25x police officers.

Of course - you don't ACTAULLY shoot said ruffian - but a good way to get a rapid response.

This is a joke, but lacksidasical response to theft seems to be getting worse.  After repeatedly loosing camera's and laptops during air travel- with zero botherment from the airlines - I now take a starters pistol with me on all plane journeys. You get to the ticket counter and state you have a  starter pistol. You get given a big steel box with 2x locks. Put the pistol in the box, drop in camera/laptop etc ( although needs to not be a huge laptop ) and then everything solid and secure, and backed up with vast amounts of paperwork - when you land. Have done this maybe 12-14 times now, no issue, no "homeland security" problems or big questionings about why your carrying a starter pistol. Only adds about 5 minutes to the check-in process, and I can attest that the Indian, US and UK authourities are fine with this. Although YMMV with other countires.

Back on topic....

I have a Yale house alarm which is wireless and modular. I've added another sensor into the garage, and a second siren INSIDE the garage as well. After much swearing and reading of instructions, the siren in the garage only goes off if someone breaks into the garage. The siren is so deafening in the confines of a garage that within a minute or so it becomes difficult to function - I don't think you can cope with it long enough to practically steal anything.

A local garage ( Car mechanics to those in the US Of A ) does this, but also has 2x strobe lights which were previously used for stadium rock gigs - something ridiculous like 1500 watts. My friend was "volenteered" to test the system, and ran into the garage with the siren and the strobes. He found it so disorientating that within a minute he was having difficulty moving, and desribed the experience as feeling as though his limbs were disconnecting from his body. He left the garage on his hands and knees.

Steve

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2009, 01:11:02 PM »
That gives me an idea,

I have a vintage 2,000W bulb. It quite literally temporarily blinds you for about 20min if you are silly enough to glance at it.
(yes I have been known to have a silly moment or two)
You can't walk anywhere for about 5-10min and that's if you look at it in daylight.

Imagine what would happen in the pitch dark of night..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now all I need is a motion sensor that has a remote.....any ideas?
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Weston Bye

• Grand Blanc, Michigan
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2009, 01:35:22 PM »
I once had tools stolen, about a week's pay worth.  I view this as equivalent to taking my life, or some portion of it.  Not only did I loose a week of life's effort, I lost, in some measure, the ability to make a living -to sustain life- with the tools.  Indeed, the tools can be replaced, but the 40 hours can't.

Now, in defending my life, that is, the possessions that the efforts of a lifetime have made possible, and the tools I need to sustain life, to what extreme dare I go?  Certainly not to take another's life even though he is in the act of taking a part of mine.  Assuredly not to injure another while he is in the act of taking part of my life.  Perhaps not to detain another for taking a part of my life, for freedom lost is life lost.  Or even to impede someone from taking the substance of my life or livelyhood may be too much.  Following this slippery slope of logic would ultimately lead to no locks on doors - any defense is too extreme.

Maybe the politicians are blood relations to the ordinary thieves.

Back on topic - forgive me if I don't reveal the details and extent of my security measures.
Weston Bye
Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts.
author of The Mechatronist column
Digital Machinist magazine

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2009, 02:05:01 PM »
I once had tools stolen, about a week's pay worth.  I view this as equivalent to taking my life, or some portion of it.  Not only did I loose a week of life's effort, I lost, in some measure, the ability to make a living -to sustain life- with the tools.  Indeed, the tools can be replaced, but the 40 hours can't.

Now, in defending my life, that is, the possessions that the efforts of a lifetime have made possible, and the tools I need to sustain life, to what extreme dare I go?  Certainly not to take another's life even though he is in the act of taking a part of mine.  Assuredly not to injure another while he is in the act of taking part of my life.  Perhaps not to detain another for taking a part of my life, for freedom lost is life lost.  Or even to impede someone from taking the substance of my life or livelyhood may be too much.  Following this slippery slope of logic would ultimately lead to no locks on doors - any defense is too extreme.

Maybe the politicians are blood relations to the ordinary thieves.

Back on topic - forgive me if I don't reveal the details and extent of my security measures.

Weston Bye

That is probably some of the best security advice given on this forum. Another was not to show off to everyone driving down the street how much man candy you have in your garage/shed.

Another one that is good is a motion detector/heat sensor that hook up to a flood light.

cheers :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2009, 03:02:36 PM »
politicians are thieves.

Fixed it for ya.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2009, 08:43:07 PM »
With advance apologies to John....
Mssr's Smith and Wesson are on watchful duty here and you WILL be found with a recently fired weapon in hand, when the police and coroner arrive to retrieve your remains. The above is based on specific advice given me by local law enforcement. What a country!!

Steve

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2009, 08:17:07 PM »
I don't want to alarm you, but then maybe I do....

I was pretty aware how easy it was to pick most locks, but it seems the kids are now teaching each other the joys of bumping...

That's lock bumping.......
Never heard of it, just look on Utube

If you have any sort of padlock or Yale type key door lock then you might as well leave the door open.

Oddly enough even Bump proof locks are not bump proof....fancy 10 pins with 7 side pins are very space age looking keys are no trouble.....beware...
The only type of lock that so far seems to be immune to bumping are mortise locks, but make sure it's a five lever type cos 3 leavers are fairly easy to pick.

It's all pretty worrying.
I'm insured I hear you say.....well maybe not. No sign of forced entry and the insurers say you must have forgotten to lock the door. They will not pay out. The police take the same view, no signs of forced entry.....then you must be pulling a fast one....

Sleep tight...
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2009, 02:05:51 AM »
Hmmm......

I`ve been a bit busy recently, as you can see......

You can also see where the overnight vermin silently stole the copper gas pipe from the empty house next door!

Don`t feel quite so secure in our quiet little cul de sac any more......

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

bogstandard

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2009, 03:18:19 AM »
A very cheap deterent is what a friend of mine has done. On the inside at the top of his gate and fence, about 2" down, under the top rail as shown on your neighbour's fence, he has nailed carpet gripper strips, the ones used around the edges when having fitted carpets. He has them sticking out and pointing down, so as they grip to climb over, the 'spikes' dig in and hold their fingers to the fence, the more pressure they put on them the tighter they grip. His cats have no trouble with them, but nightime prowlers seem to do.
Just where your fingertips would automatically try to grab hold of to climb over.
Rather than hanging on by your fingertips, they would be being held on.

Within a week of him fitting them, the police had lovely DNA samples along the top of his garden gate and all the way down his drive. I bet the culprit couldn't scratch his a**e or pick his nose for a fair while.

As to the legality of what he has done, the police turned a blind eye (up to now), and no one has yet been back to complain.

I'm not condoning doing it, just a passing comment.

Bogs

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2009, 03:21:40 AM »
Nice one John!  :thumbup:
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2009, 05:30:51 AM »
Nice tip there John, but you might find that's a bit dodgy...the police might turn a blind eye for now but if someone had the B**ls to complain it could be a different story.

Glass buried in cement and razor wire were outlawed some years ago, this might be seen in a similar fashion, even worse could be considered as "intent"

Like thieving isn't..... :doh:

Some years ago I almost had to have a dog put down cos it bit some scum, I think cos he only got nipped I got away with it. It could have been a lot worse as the dog was more than capable. As I said that was years ago...now I'm not so sure they'd turn the other way.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2009, 09:55:42 AM »
To bad they outlawed guns. Now only the outlaws have them. Or so the saying goes.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2009, 02:48:25 PM »
I`m obviously really naive here then - could you really get "done" for screwing carpet nails to the inside of your OWN fence on your OWN property? Is that not just the same as the steel spikes we have on some of the gates around work?

Darren - regarding bumping, whilst at uni I got quite into speed picking with my mate who was working full time at a locksmiths and I got pretty decent at 5 pin tumblers and could even do a few anti-picking pin tumbler locks. My parents went sick with shock when, infront of them, I picked there front door house lock nearly as quickly as they could do it with the key just simply by raking the pins with a raking pick and adding a little tension. We even made a tool using a apple corer to pick lever locks (mortise locks). I did it for about a year and then lost interest. It must have been only about 2 years ago when I came across the idea of bumping, I watched a video on youtube showing a young girl at a lockpicking convention (presume she was with parents :S)  bumping a lock!! Youtube search "girl bumping lock) !  IT is scary, like darren says, if someone comes around with a small collection of bump keys they can pretty much open the majority of locks on a normal street!!  :doh:   

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2009, 04:51:34 PM »
I`m obviously really naive here then - could you really get "done" for screwing carpet nails to the inside of your OWN fence on your OWN property? :doh:    

Yup, Big Time ............... lot's of documented cases, but this really isn't the place for that discussion .......... have a Google, it will most likely surprise you

CC

Offline GArat

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2010, 07:53:12 AM »
I had a look!!!!!! :(
terrible...incredible...no words...!!!! :scratch: :scratch: :bang: :jaw:

Offline Trion

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2010, 09:46:46 AM »
How about a pneumatic nail gun at about leg-height? I have consideret it several times! :zap:

More seriously, I have no windows, and a dual locking mechanism on the door, only operatable with two different special keys. The shop is also insured for £50 000, and every new thing I buy is documented with pictures, so that I have proof of when I bought it. I also take yearly picutres to document the condition of things. One can never be too careful!

Offline websterz

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2010, 10:31:44 AM »
...a 10 feet hi concrete wall wich was no obstikle for the guy tojump upto and climbe over in secconds...

Danny

You know times are tough when Spring Heeled Jack has to resort to B&E to make a living.  :lol:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2010, 10:36:22 AM »
I'm looking at installing a house/garage security system that rings your mobile if one of the detectors goes off. It even tells you which detector and you can add a camera to watch/listen in.

They are not that expensive. I also like the fact that they also have smoke/water/heat detectors as well.

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2010, 08:02:50 PM »
well here you dont have to worry about that dog or any other animal but you do have to watch out for by very good freisnds SMITH & WESSON
they dont like anybody if you dont have permision to be here then you better not be here :headbang: then there is there cousin BUCK SHOT he dont like anybody either
any is messy about it...... dimes are your freind  shoot some u will like it :headbang:

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2010, 04:56:38 PM »
Remember several years ago there was a spate of break and enters in our area.  The fact that its out in the sticks didnt seem to bother them.  Ours and the neighbors wernt targeted, can only put it down to the deterrant factor of nasty looking dogs.

4 dogs and a long run to the fence/gate on all sides.  Definetely dont come thru from the next door neighbors side, they have several Dobermans. 

By all means bring your lock bumping tools, gives the Staffys something to play with after they get bored chewing on any would be theives.  Of course the gate and shed are locked.  Sensor lites, security camera.  The harder u make it..... theres definetely easier places to rob.

I'm also wary of taking fotos of my entire workshop.  Sorry guys no workshop tours.

I sleep pretty well at nite.
From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

Forget about the price of gold and oil, its the price of beer that matters.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2010, 01:51:44 PM »
jatt,

Already know four of your security secretes.  :bugeye:  All very easy to get around. :jaw:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2010, 09:10:13 PM »
Just noticed this post.

My security is a 12 gage, 223 AR-15  coupled with a pit bull. And most of all the constitution of the united states of America.

I shot at guy back  in 1996 for trespassing and coon hunting on our land, the state police were helpful and removed the offender within minuets.

Never will I allow people who are not asked to be on my land be on there. 
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Space Fan

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2010, 01:08:05 AM »
All these guns for shop protection, wow.  

I holster a pistol or two all the time when I'm working arround the house or in the machine shop all the homestead is well covered.  I hope and pray I never to have to use force but,,, Si vis pacem, para bellum.  Failure drills are my new training study.  21' and closer.

I have a well designed security system to alert me of all comings and goings and good neighbors that do call the police.  

I've got this nifty 9mm Glock barrel for a .40 cal G23 compact that needs the compensator modified.  I bought it for when I train non shooters or otherwise introduce newbees to pistols. There is no muzzle climb but there is too much flash and debris.  I was studying the barrel at my metal working area and did make mental notice of the freedoms in play. Being well armed while working on a firearm. Not being form the USA originally makes one savour the right a little more I think.  

I think I might rebore the holes to a better angle to expell the gasses more forward rather than upward.  I might have to part it off though eventually.

Heres to protecting life with firearms, never property.  :beer:

« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 01:11:46 AM by Space Fan »