Author Topic: Modifying An Arbour fitting  (Read 8173 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Modifying An Arbour fitting
« on: July 22, 2009, 05:21:57 PM »
I recently acquired an ER32 arbor that "almost" fit my Beaver mill. Almost as in it needed slightly modifying.

Here it is on the left in this picture. It's a BT30 fitting and I needed an INT30 fitting as the one on the right.
The only important bits are the slots for the spindle dogs to locate into to give it something to drive.

Initially I set it up like this. A 5C collet fixture in the vice holding a bar and the Arbor to be machined clamping same bar to secure it.
It almost worked but there was a little too much vibration for my liking.

So I ended up just holding it in the vice as shown, Here I'm machining a flat on each side so I can grab it with a wrench for changing collets.

Using the two new flats I was able to index 180 deg for machining the dog location slots.

I'll have to wait until I have made some dogs, or is it keys  :scratch: to see if I have removed enough metal. But I'm sure it will be fine.

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Online Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Modifying An Arbour fitting
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 10:52:31 PM »
So nice to have tools that can make (or modify) other er... tools! eh Darren?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 03:30:13 AM »
It's a question of funds Eric,

This arbor cost me a fiver instead of about £40.00, and included a £15 bearing type nut at the same time.

So it was modified and saved me a packet.

As long as it works I gain some self satisfaction at the same time.... :dremel:

Expect more home made tooling yet. plenty I don't want to part good cash for.... :thumbup:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 04:26:26 AM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 04:56:21 AM »
Darren,

If you ever get stuck with a bit of tooling that you can't machine because it is too hard, if it is just straight grooves or whatever, that can be done on the surface grinder, or the lathe with the toolpost grinder, then put it to one side, and bring it along on your next visit.

I had to modify a 5MT to 2MT adapter for the lathe, so that I could get a drawbar thru it. It wasn't just hard on the surface, but all the way thru. Grinding was the only way to do it.

John

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 05:08:53 AM »
Nuffin wrong with home made tooling.

One of my customers makes drilling and boring machine for North sea rigs and they have standardised on BT40, there big CNC lathe spits blanks out like no tomorrow so I bought about 12.

Very handy for odd weird jobs.

Last night I did a MT4 arbours 8-1/2" long so the drill and cutter fitted in the end stuck out over the cross slide and saves me winding in and out to reach the work every time.

When finished this arbor will drill a 5mm hole, face the end off a piece of 12mm square and put a countersink in all in one operation.

OK takes a while to make but I have 500 of these to do, what would have been three separate operations is now down to one.

Whilst I was setup I also ran 4 extra blanks off.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 11:54:23 AM »
Darren,

If you ever get stuck with a bit of tooling that you can't machine because it is too hard, if it is just straight grooves or whatever, that can be done on the surface grinder, or the lathe with the toolpost grinder, then put it to one side, and bring it along on your next visit.

I had to modify a 5MT to 2MT adapter for the lathe, so that I could get a drawbar thru it. It wasn't just hard on the surface, but all the way thru. Grinding was the only way to do it.

John

Thanks John, I will keep that in mind.  :thumbup:

Though I've found nothing that I can't machine as yet.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 11:55:29 AM »

When finished this arbor will drill a 5mm hole, face the end off a piece of 12mm square and put a countersink in all in one operation.

I would really like to see that John, I think you're overdue a picture or two.... :poke:

Online Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 09:22:47 AM »
It's a question of funds Eric,

This arbor cost me a fiver instead of about £40.00, and included a £15 bearing type nut at the same time.

So it was modified and saved me a packet.

As long as it works I gain some self satisfaction at the same time.... :dremel:

Expect more home made tooling yet. plenty I don't want to part good cash for.... :thumbup:

I am actually a huge fan of home(shop) made tooling. Something about it...

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 10:03:41 AM »
Sorry Eric, I read your message wrong....

I know some people wouldn't make tooling when it can be bought.....personally I like making and modifying stuff, that's why I'm here.... :nrocks:

I'm in the phase of collecting, modifying and setting up......I'm sure there is supposed to be another phase at some point.... :scratch:

I used that modified tool last night and did some cutting on the new mill.....you could say I'm very pleased with the outcome.... :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 10:17:23 AM by Darren »

Online Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 10:15:36 AM »
No big deal Darren, I was trying to be funny... Should have put some Smileys up! Hard to do when posting from my phone.

Eric
Science is fun.