Author Topic: C3 mini lathe bed and gibs  (Read 18182 times)

Offline websterz

Re: C3 mini lathe bed and gibs
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 09:54:52 PM »

One thing you might consider for the gibs is using shims.  Tapered gibs are nice, but a lot of effort.  And from what I've heard from the shim crowd it'll last quite a while before having to re-shim.  I think this is the route I'm headed.

One thing is for sure: the factory push-pull screw setup needs improvement.  Let us know what you wind up doing.

Mike

Tapered gibs are not a big chore, and IMHO are well worth twice the time and effort it takes to make and install them. Best thing I ever did to my lathe!!
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline 28ten

Re: C3 mini lathe bed and gibs
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2009, 10:18:02 AM »
Well I have spent an hour tinkering this afternoon and it has highlighted several problems  :bang: :bang: I can't do anything until the 'chocolate' gibs have been replaced, last weekends work by Bogs has highlighted how utterly useless they are. So i thought i would make a quickie replacement out of some scrap, but i couldn't find anything of a suitable size and with the knackered gibs no method of machining what I have  :doh: :doh:
so i will have to get something suitable tomorrow, I then realised that even with the added movement on the cross slide I still couldn't machine tapered gibs  :doh:
 all very frustrating  :bang:
If it ain't broke, i'll fix it until it is.