Author Topic: How do I clean inside my blowlamp/blowtorch?  (Read 5728 times)

Online John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
How do I clean inside my blowlamp/blowtorch?
« on: August 02, 2009, 01:56:09 AM »
I have a Swedish Sievert  kerosene blow lamp, very similar to the Primus ones. This is a kerosene, not a petrol/gasoline blowtorch.

The problem is that it was unused for some time and now is cursed with frequence blocking of the jet. I presume this is carbon from within the vapouriser coils and the ideal would be to clean them through, but how to do that?
From the den of The Artful Bodger

bogstandard

Re: How do I clean inside my blowlamp/blowtorch?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 02:31:33 AM »
All I could suggest John, is take the jet out and pressurise the tank. Then just let the paraffin flush the whole system out before you replace the jet.

You might find it is debris in your paraffin, so strain it thru a couple of layers of your wifes finest nylon stockings. Best to take her out of them first.

Many times, people just prick the jet rather than removing it, and it is the same bit that keeps blocking it up.

Other than that, it's about all I can come up with. There is not much else to go wrong with them on that side of things.

John

Online John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 02:49:38 AM »
Thanks John, I have had the jet out and used the end of a match stick (figuring wood would not damage the jet) to get a lot of gunge out of the back of the jet.  I flushed kero through the coil a few times and blew it out (backwards) with air but there does seem to be a lot of black stuff in there.

Although the control needle screws out no problem I can not see a way to remove the seat and what that is still in there I do have to be careful about what I poke inside it.

I am hoping someone will come up with some magic solvent for this black crud left by vapourising kero.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 06:28:57 AM »
John,

For dissolving almost anything like that, I mix up some bio washing powder (fairly strong mix) and soak in that.

If it can get out heavy blood stains from my working in the shop, I am sure in can cope with a bit of carbon grunge.

Put your grotty oil soaked hands in it for a couple of minutes, and they come out lily white.

Those little bio doodahs love eating muck.

John