Author Topic: Another Fruitful Day in The Hills  (Read 12928 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Re: Another Fruitful Day in The Hills
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 05:27:15 AM »

As far as I know, a hand hacksaw cuts on the forwards stroke, only the Japanese wood saws cut on the backwards, and CC of course.

Bogs

John, I once had the chance to examine a carpenter's tool box and contents in Kabul and his saws that he had for fine work cut on the back stroke.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 05:33:39 AM »
Thanks for that Stew, cutting against the vice jaws, I'd have assumed that would damage them in time. But happy to follow your lead and give it a go.... :thumbup:

John, that was my thoughts, one slip and......... :zap: Or a tooth/chunk whatever, But I suppose 50rpm is much safer than 5,000 or so from a fiber cutoff saw....
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 05:35:39 AM »
Stew, the chop saw has tremendous torque and would easily draw in anything or anyone who got in the way.  I do not use it much but for some jobs there is just no substitute.  It does have a sort of safety built in that it needs one hand on the handle to pull the saw down and the natural place to stand to do that is well away from the blade.  Some sort of blade guard is on the to-do list and now I have a lathe I might be able to make a mounting collar for such a thing.

I thought I was the only one with hacksaw marks on their vice jaws? :lol: Sometimes I get to remember to use the two pieces of angle iron I once cut for that very purpose.

I have changed my mind and will not even by trying with the blades reversed!
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 05:42:27 AM »
only the Japanese wood saws cut on the backwards, and CC of course.

Edited as CC is obviously suffering the early stages of dementia

Back to Darren's Hacksaw methinks  :D

CC
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 08:00:01 AM by CrewCab »

bogstandard

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2009, 07:18:08 AM »
Methinks you have got your glasses on back to front Dave, he is saying you cut on the forwards stroke, as his diagram clearly shows.

John

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2009, 08:01:08 AM »
Methinks you have got your glasses on back to front Dave, he is saying you cut on the forwards stroke, as his diagram clearly shows

Your quite right John, I think Hospital food us having a strange effect on me  :bugeye:

CC  ::)

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2009, 05:58:50 PM »
Hi Gang  :scratch:

You had me a bit worried for a while there. Dad taught me to cut on the push stroke with a wood handsaw and with a metal hacksaw. I never knew him to steer me wrong. I'm not sure that I would be able to operate a hacksaw if it was cutting on the pull stroke.

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2009, 06:21:06 AM »
I've been invited back to the Railway this weekend..... to have another chat with the workshop guy......

nothing to loose as they say...... :)
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)