Author Topic: Power Feed Problem  (Read 6607 times)

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
Power Feed Problem
« on: August 08, 2009, 03:37:38 PM »
A bit of help required please chaps  :dremel:

The power feed on my 626 mill has decided to stop working, being a second hand purchase there is no warranty so firstly I'd like to try and fix it ............... the minor problem being I know little naff all about electric motors,

It's like the one shown below ...............

I'm handy with a multi meter ................ so if someone can point me in the right direction  ...................    :smart:

I will however make sure I avoid ...................   :zap:

CC

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Re: Power Feed Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 04:12:43 PM »
CC

In general ...

Did it work when you got it ?

Any fuses or cct. Breakers ?

Does it have a problem with any limit switch? ie, thinks it's at a traverse limit.

Trace any cable to where it's socketed, and remove and reseat the plug.

If a DC motor check for stuck brushes.

All with the thing un-plugged of course. You don't want it to start up unheralded.

Dave BC

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 04:50:16 PM »
Thanks Dave (BC) ................. just returned from doing exactly what you posted ..............  

1) I removed the power feed cover  :bugeye: ................ I won't be poking about in there that's for sure
2) Thought about it some more (after putting the cover back on)
3) Checked things within my "comfort zone" .............. limit switch, connections etc .......

It's 110 volt and has a wall mounted transformer, on top of which is a large light that illuminates when it's on, obviously power is getting to that .............  unfortunately it was getting no further, having learned long ago never to ignore the obvious, I had a look at the transformer and found a blown fuse  :zap: ....... the warning light obviously only tells you 240v is "on"  :bang:

anyway, thankfully an easy fix .................. thank you for your pointers.

CC

PS: ............. it's working fine again now, ..................... must buy some more fuses  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 04:51:49 PM by CrewCab »

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 05:01:07 PM »
CC

There you go. Good fix.

Thankfully not like this I've just been looking at. Nowt to do with this post actually .. nice pics. tho' ... At a distance   :offtopic:

http://megagalerias.terra.cl/galerias/index.cfm?id_galeria=30734

Dave BC

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 05:06:34 PM »
Dave,

If you haven't got one, I think I have a couple of manuals for these units, if you want one, let me know.

John

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 05:12:24 PM »
If you haven't got one, I think I have a couple of manuals for these units, if you want one, let me know.

No I don't have a manual John, a copy would be very useful thanks, firstly to find out the correct fuse rating, I can't make out anything on the old one, fortunately there were a couple of spares taped inside the transformer ............... thanks Chester  :thumbup:

BC, those pictures are dam good, looks like Omen VVXII  :bugeye: .............. what part of the world was it ?

CC

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 05:55:43 PM »
John

I think CC needs the manuals, I ain't got power feed  :( Although, if somebody else is buying the beer  :beer:  :beer: would be handy  .. )

CC

Chaiten, Southern Chile ?, Chile anyway .. OK so long as it stays there   :lol:

Dave BC

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 06:15:10 PM »
Glad you sorted it Dave.....that's brill..... :clap:

Always look at the fuse first, it's designed to be the weakest link.......and as such they can sometimes go for absolutely no reason at all. But if it keeps going then you need to look further..... :dremel:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 07:01:04 PM »
Always look at the fuse first..... :dremel: 

Yup ................ but with the bloomin' enormous light on the top of the transformer being lit up you kinda think ........... all worky fine  :zap: .............. but ............ not the case ...........  :bang: ............... anyway, simple fix once I found the problem, that's the good thing  :thumbup:

Have to say, if it was a problem in the motor it would have been on it's travels, not much phases me generally, but that box of tricks is outside my comfort zone  :hammer:

Thanks for the help.

CC

bogstandard

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 07:58:39 PM »
Dave,

I think you will find that the units are bombproof. It is only when they aren't shimmed up to the machines shaft correctly in the first place that they cause trouble. So if ever you have to remove it, make a good note of the shims and where they go.

BTW, I run two of mine off a 110 volt site transformer. Chester gave and fitted me two of the units FOC for my mill (300 squid+ each), but couldn't squeeze the trannies in the electrical box, not enough room. So less than 40 squid off ebay, got me an indestructable yellow lump that could just sit on the floor at the back of the machine. Maybe a thing to consider in the future if you have transformer problems.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 08:06:11 PM »
Yep, you can even get 3 phase out of em........ :smart:

Don't ask cos I'm not telling anyone how, but it is what I used to make my rotary....1000 Brownie points if you can figure it out...... :coffee:

Apart from that, 110V tooling comes up cheap quite often, so can be worth having around.... :dremel:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 08:11:50 PM »
Yep, you can even get 3 phase out of em........ :smart:

Don't ask cos I'm not telling anyone how, but it is what I used to make my rotary....1000 Brownie points if you can figure it out...... :coffee:

Edited by Darren for obvious reasons to protect the board and it's readers...... :thumbup:

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah,
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah,

Did I get the points?

John s.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 08:39:11 PM by Darren »
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 08:18:10 PM »
John Stevenson = 1000 Brownie points, everyone else = 0

That was too quick mate, far too quick.....you done this before.....

Now to delete this post before someone finds it......... :lol:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 08:39:33 PM by Darren »