Author Topic: Big Bucks Mad Modding  (Read 4080 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Big Bucks Mad Modding
« on: August 10, 2009, 10:29:47 AM »
As I've already posted eleswere, I was up at the 1000 Islands this past weekend. The Poker Runs America was held here this weekend. Quite something to see.

Start off with this link. Go to the very bottom to watch them run off the coast of Florida last year. Hopefully they'll have a vid posted of the run on the river.  http://www.pokerrunsamerica.com/

Now if you want to see the turbine powered boat that is up in our area check out this website. Here is the ultimate mod for boats. They modify turbine helicopter engines to power these high priced boats. http://www.turbinemarine.com/index.html

The name of the boat is called MyWay. His wife has a large cabin crusier called HerWay. To see HisWay go to the "projects page" and scroll down to his boat. You'll also see a boat called Aqua Mainia Mystic. The top speed of this boat is 204.56mph (327kph) Another of the speed boats that is up in the 1000 Island region.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Big Bucks Mad Modding
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
I will have to find the pictures when I get home Bernd... but the wife and I went out on a dolphin cruise out of Savannah, the same day they were have races/exhibitions of those boats...

Funny story. True even, I have the pictures. As we were coming back in, some semi rich local knuckle head in a fast (relative) boat decided he was going to go blowing by one of the big boys while said big boy was just cruising. Big boy opened the throttle (quite the roar) and smoked past mister local hot shot. I have the whole thing in picture sequence... We were dying....

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 03:30:35 PM »
The owner and another guy who's got a place same place we do have the big toys. The owner has a Hustler with twin blown V-8's and the other guy has a Donzi twin normal aspirated V-10 Viper engines. They ocasionally go out racing. Talk about a racket. It wake up the dead, but still nice sounding when the idle. Both have reached the 100mph mark. I'm sure that it would take all the wrinkles out of your face since they are open cockpit.

If you CLICK HERE and go down to the second picture on the right. That's the Donzi and Jerry the owner. If you go down to the 16th picture on the right. That's Freddie, the guy who owns the park we stay in. Hell of a nice guy too.

It's fun to watch these guys go through gallons of fuel having fun.  :lol:

Bernd

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 03:45:57 PM »
Bernd .......... that's what I call a vacation  :headbang:

CC

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 06:38:54 PM »
Bernd .......... that's what I call a vacation  :headbang:

CC

Vacation for the other "half".  :coffee:

I'm on vacation all the time.  :ddb:    :ddb:    :ddb:

Just ask her she'll tell you that.  ::)

Bernd

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 08:32:20 PM »
Bernd

Thanks for the links to the boat sites. Just about makes one young again just to watch them and listen to them. I guess with those if you have to inquire about the price of fuel, you probably can't affort it.  :lol: :lol:

Hope your having a good summer at the cottage. Maybe we will get a good fall to make up for the lousy summer!  :doh:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 08:56:22 PM »
Don,

The turbine engine's use kerosene. It's a bit cheaper than the fuel for the piston engine jobs since they run upwards to 100 octane I think. Not cheap fuel. When we hear them we like to say "1 gallon, 2 gallons, 3 gallons..............." as we listen to them go by at full throttle.  :lol:

It's not bad. I don't care much if it is lousy weather since I take lots of engine plans and reading material to study. Just wish I could take my machine shop with me. I sort of have been rolling around the idea of a protable shop on wheels but then I'd need to worry about fuel prices hauling a big trailer.  :)

Falls real pretty up there. But I hate waking up to gun shots in the early moring during duck season. Rather rude awaking. :bugeye:

Bernd