Author Topic: online tool suppliers (UK)  (Read 13267 times)

Offline 28ten

online tool suppliers (UK)
« on: August 11, 2009, 03:11:49 PM »
I went along to my local supplier of engineering tools and fastenings today only to find he is closing at the end of the week   :( which is a pain because they have been very helpful and I try to use them whenever possible  :bang:
So it looks like I am going to be buying everything online, I normally use RDG, chronos or Arc euro, are there any other online shops you recommend?
If it ain't broke, i'll fix it until it is.

bogstandard

Re: online tool suppliers (UK)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 03:52:37 PM »
I have just ordered some bits this morning from Gloster tooling. Retail therapy.

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Gloster-Tooling__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Great service from them, ordered 10 o'clock, had an email saying it was dispatched at 11am. I will get it first thing in the morning.
They are a very good supplier, but a little limited in what they carry. It is the only place I have found that do the ball raced nuts for ER collet systems. Some good prices, especially for certain collets.

Chronos is a dead loss if you go for the free carriage option, it can turn up weeks later, and their website is way out of date with regards to stock control. You can order something, pay for it online, then get a phone call saying what you have ordered is out of stock. Then it is about another week before you get the money refunded. That is what happened this morning when I ordered a D1-4 backplate from them. So I went to Gloster tooling, and paid a couple of squid extra.

RDG is getting a little expensive over the last year or so, ever since they moved to new premises. But still have a few bargains. The backplate I was after was more expensive, and their carrier is unable to get overnight delivery to me, even though they say it will be. A day wasted, waiting in for delivery that never seems to turn up on time.

Arc Euro, even though limited in what they carry, are good, honest and fast suppliers, with a true overnight delivery, and very reasonable prices. If it is only a small part, the overnight carriage is very small, whereas most others charge full wack. They have really got their act together with regards to shipping. They also carry a few bits of tooling that is specially commissioned for them, and unavailable elsewhere.

I have tried most of the others for the hobby market, and most leave a lot to be desired, but I do use a couple of 'industrial' ones, that do seem expensive at the time, but every so often they have offers you just can't refuse, or that special tool you just can't get anywhere else.

John

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 05:34:49 PM »
I know what you mean guys, the last good tool shop in this city closed last week, actually they merged and moved to the premises of another in the next town, so no more pressing my nose against their shopfront window at lunchtime!

We have a few on-line suppliers peddling Chinese tools but if I want anything made in the UK or US I have to buy it from the on-line auctions or do what my ancestors did and that was send away for it and be patient.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 03:32:10 AM »
Chronos - I have made two orders with these before Christmas using the free or cheap delivery option and both came literally about 10+ days later - it was awful! I am sure others have had much better experiences, I think I was unlucky.

RDG - have been more than helpful with me when I go in to the shop in person so I use them whenever I can and normally go in a buy something from them every weekend or so. I have found they are not so reliable with the delivery of their own stock so you wait longer than expected for things that our out of stock to come back in.

ArcEuro - I have only made one order with them and it was as described and fast delivery. Don`t know why I don`t use them more.

Macc Moddels I used a few weeks ago for some bar stock that I couldn`t get at RDG. They were very quick delivery and helpful on the phone.

Then my local suppliers - Rothwells and K-Supplies - rotherwells particularly excellent for fasteners.

They are the only suppliers I have used... but I know that most people on here will have made many more orders than I have with all of these!!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 03:36:57 AM by craynerd »

Offline 28ten

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 02:51:36 PM »
My experiences with chronos have been similar, but they usually have quite a wide range, which can save ordering from two separate suppliers.
I forgot about Macc, I have had a couple of small orders from them.
Bogs
Gloster tooling isn't too far from me so that would save on postage.
I shall spend this evening looking for a set of ER25 collets and a 6mm to 10mm drill set

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 02:58:01 PM »
I shall spend this evening looking for a set of ER25 collets and a 6mm to 10mm drill set

That sounds like a pleasant evening  :thumbup: ......... I can recommend Arc Euro, at the weekend I ordered a couple of bits, the Order from Arc Euro arrived on Tuesday, the one from Chronos ........... is still somewhere in the ionosphere  :wack:

I also ordered a bit from LMS, but being a Yorkshireman opted for the cheapest delivery, so I'm looking about 2 - 4 weeks, no problem I expect that, but whether it beats the Chronos delivery is the rub  :lol:

CC

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 03:02:13 PM »
Sorry, just to add, I've dealt with LMS (Little Machine Shop), who are based in the USA, on several occasions and paid for UPS delivery, the parts were here in 3 - 4 days, now that's good service  :bow:

CC

Offline 28ten

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 03:13:23 PM »
Did you get hit with import duty?

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 03:20:44 PM »
No, not from the States and I've used them about 3 times now.  We did import some Radio's for our 4x4 club from China and we received a bill about a month after delivery for about £80, however we were half expecting it and the bill worked out about £6 each, so still far cheaper than buying within the EEC.

All the LMS deliveries have been £30 -£90, the order from China was about £600, perhaps there is a a "trigger" level set by "Big Brother"  :scratch:

CC

bogstandard

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 02:43:15 PM »
Just a little update.

I placed an order with 'free' delivery from Chronos last Thursday. Got a call from them yesterday (a week after placing order) to tell me half the stuff I wanted was not in stock. So it looks like that if you go the free delivery option, they don't even look at your order for a week. I cancelled the whole order, I will look elsewhere.

The same sort of thing happened the other day, but this time (still not knowing about my first order) I went for overnight delivery. A call first thing the next day from them told me that two of the four items were out of stock. So again I cancelled the whole order.

It looks like that the only way to deal with Chronos is to phone them first, to see if they have the items they advertise on the net in stock, otherwise it might be a week before you find out that you can't have them.

They are in a sorry state of affairs if you ask me.

As I stated in an above post, here is a 'professional' supplier I use, John Stevenson put me onto them when I was looking for some 82 degree countersink bits a while back. They even have in stock (at the moment) the endmill sharpening fixtures that I showed everyone a few weeks back (but much better quality than the one I have). I wish I had waited now for them to come back into stock, I paid the same sort of price for a lower quality one from the US, because of the carriage charges.

http://www.mscjlindustrial.co.uk/CGI/INPDFF?PMCTLG=00&PMPAGE=622&PMITEM=BFIFX-10700M

These people stock an unending list of items, and are usually in the top of the price range, but they have the advantage, that if you need an item, they can get it to you quickly. It is worth registering and asking them to send you details of the latest special offers. Some of them are top grade items at real outdoor market prices. I bought a precision vertical DTI checking stand for 20 squid, and anywhere else on the net, they were 130 squid. At the moment they have lead acid rechargeable 'floodlight' torches for 6 squid. I paid 18 squid for mine from B&Q, exactly the same.

I have never been able to go thru the whole range, I fall asleep first.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 02:49:14 PM »
I have one of their cats, not cheap, but there doesn't seem to be any rubbish in there either....

Like you say, some bargains to be had at times.....
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline 28ten

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 05:50:34 PM »
I shall have a look at them when I have chance.
I ordered from arc last night and the order was dispatched 9.30 this am  :thumbup:

bogstandard

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 02:49:17 AM »
Darren,

It is when you are after that special little bit, that someone else will pay for to get the job done they come into their own, so in cases like that, the cost doesn't come into it. Just knowing that you can get something quickly when required is peace of mind.

Cymric,

I ordered from arc last night and the order was dispatched 9.30 this am

'nuff said.

John

Offline 28ten

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 03:18:49 PM »
Bogs
Thanks for the catalogue link, I have already found a couple of useful items  :thumbup:

Offline jim

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
i've bought stuff (probably too much stuff) from most of these, never had a problem.

i usually go through Ebay.

RDG and Chronos were very good when delt with direct.
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline 28ten

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 01:49:38 PM »
The mscj&l catalogue arrived today 24 hours after ordering, which bodes well for future orders. I must say there is a really good selection of tools etc, although some are a little dear.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 02:40:21 PM »
The mscj&l catalogue arrived today 24 hours after ordering, which bodes well for future orders. I must say there is a really good selection of tools etc, although some are a little dear.

They are not dear, you are just short of money  :clap:

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline jim

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 02:45:26 PM »
just got an order from RDG, ordered sunday night, arrived tuesday morning!!

the quality is good too :D

just shocking how much stuff i've had to buy for me new mill :D :D :D

bogstandard

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 03:09:28 PM »
just shocking how much stuff i've had to buy for me new mill

If buying from new, it is reckoned you will spend at least 50% of the machine cost to get it fully tooled up with new equipment.

The best way is only to buy it when it is desperately needed, otherwise you will end up with tooling that you will hardly ever use.

Your arms and legs won't fall off if you have to wait a couple of days for delivery, unless you have promised to do a job for someone, and if you don't deliver on time, they will remove them for you.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 06:19:42 AM »
Some real slating of MSC on another forum is currently going on....

Apparently they don't appear to be quite so honest when it comes to advertising...maybe honest is not the right word, more like misleading....

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=187814

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline slowcoach

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 01:32:05 PM »
Have a look at this UK company for lathe tools and the like  http://cutweltools.co.uk/

:beer:
Rob

Offline 28ten

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 02:46:47 PM »
I just had a Chronos order for a vice on free postage arrive  in 4 days  :bugeye:

Offline jim

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 02:54:34 PM »
I just had a Chronos order for a vice on free postage arrive  in 4 days  :bugeye:

so did i a couple of weeks ago, about £65 for a vertex K4 and free delivery!!!

all told i've managed to spend a hell of a lot in the last month (kitting up for the new mill and some general purchasess), lucky for me the wifes been at work for every one of my delivery's :lol: :lol:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 02:58:52 PM »
lucky for me the wifes been at work for every one of my delivery's :lol: :lol:

I see I'm not alone then  :lol:

bogstandard

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 03:13:15 PM »
J&L sent me their latest today. On looking at the web deals I found this.

http://www.mscjlindustrial.co.uk/CGI/INLMHD?PMMODE=WEB

For anyone wanting a good 6" vice, look at the one second from the bottom. Still got VAT and delivery, but a very good vice for a modest price.

Bogs