Author Topic: Drive Pulley Mods  (Read 4024 times)

Offline mickn

Drive Pulley Mods
« on: August 12, 2009, 09:02:26 AM »
My small, 3 ½ x 12 inch hobby lathe has tiny drive belts. In fact they are little more than elastic bands. I found that the operation of parting off etc caused the belts to slip and also the price of these belts from the machine supplier is really high. Because of the short length and section of these V belts, I have had a problem finding an alternative. I had looked on Ebay etc but to no avail. I therefore decided to have a go at making bigger section pulleys and the size I chose was an SPZ, much bigger in section and I can get these in the short length I require. Using roughly the same ratio pulleys and adding a short piece of flat stock milled out to take the intermediate pulley - and also using the bottom safety guard hole to act as a swivel point, I haven’t had to modify the machine in any way. These new belts are easily obtained and are only a couple of pounds each! This is quite a contrast to the £30 for two from the machine supplier. Since making this modification, parting off and boring etc is a much more satisfying operation. Here is a little video. I have taken the guard off to demonstrate the pulleys running. Since modifying my machine, I have read Bog’s article about Redthane round section belts.... blast!!!! Maybe I could have solved my problem that way instead. Never mind, I enjoyed the practice.

Mick

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: Drive Pulley Mods
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 12:03:54 PM »
Nicely done Mick!  :clap: :clap:

Runs sweetly, and cheaply......   :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!