Author Topic: Sherline challenge winners @ NAMES 2009  (Read 10776 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Sherline challenge winners @ NAMES 2009
« on: April 21, 2009, 09:11:32 AM »
Here are two winners of the Sherline challenge that the members might know from some of the forums.

Walking beam transfer device

CO² driven engine

glen
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Sherline challenge winners @ NAMES 2009
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 01:51:22 PM »
I recognize Steve Huck's engine there! Would like to know more about Weston's err thing?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 08:55:31 PM »
I will invite him to come on over and join and then fill you in if he has time. he does articles for digital machinist magazine and did a wild clock last year. He also built and placed a Geneva Mechanism or wheel in this years contest too but didn't place.

And as a side note. The story and plans for Hucks engine are in Model engine builder issue 17 last issue. and he said the the plans and his engine stand will be in issue 19
http://modelenginebuilder.com/
glen

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline Weston Bye

• Grand Blanc, Michigan
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 08:06:48 PM »
Hello everyone here is another photo of my walking beam transfer.

The machine lifts and transfers ball bearings and sets them down in the next nest down the line.  The far right bearing is dropped off the end of the transfer to roll down a small ramp.  An eccentric-driven lever lifts the bearing to roll down a ramp back to the beginning where the bearing falls onto the empty first station or nest on the walking beam.  All motions are powered by a single rotating shaft driven by a small battery-powered gearmotor concealed in the box behind the machinery.  The verticle lift and horizontal slide are both driven by the same cam.  The followers can be seen above and to the left of the cam.  The eccentric used to drive the lift lever is mostly obscured behind the cam and machine frame.

I designed a similar full-sized walking beam transfer for handling solenoid coils at work and then designed this scaled-down mechanism for the Sherline Machinist's Challange, and it will also be the subject of a construction article for my column "The Mechatronist" in a future issue of Digital Machinist magazine.  In due time I will be posting videos on the Digital Machinist website.  If it is permissable I can post the link to Digital Machinist here.

Wes
Weston Bye
Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts.
author of The Mechatronist column
Digital Machinist magazine

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 08:14:44 PM »
Wes,

First I'd like to welcome you to Madmodder.  :mmr:

Second, that walking bean transfer looks very interesting and could give us  :proj:.

And third, please give a link. No problems there. We're always looking for fresh ideas for building projects.

So again welcome to the, as Eric likes to call it, collective.  :borg:

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 08:25:36 PM »
First and foremost, Welcome to the collective  :borg: Wes!

I find that walking beam transfer very fascinating! I cannot wait to see it in action.

I designed a similar full-sized walking beam transfer for handling solenoid coils at work and then designed this scaled-down mechanism for the Sherline Machinist's Challange, and it will also be the subject of a construction article for my column "The Mechatronist" in a future issue of Digital Machinist magazine.  In due time I will be posting videos on the Digital Machinist website.  If it is permissable I can post the link to Digital Machinist here.

Wes

Wait... That's your column?? It is only my favorite column in the magazine. Count me as a fan of yours. Absolutely you can post links here.

Again, welcome to the collective. I hope to see more posts from you!

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Weston Bye

• Grand Blanc, Michigan
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
I've included the link to Digital Machinist website in my signature line.  If you click on the interactive tab and then the Machinist in Motion, you can find videos of the clock (Quartz Movement) that PTSideshow mentioned.
Weston Bye

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 08:37:55 PM »
Wes or do you prefer Weston?

I have been drooling over that clock since I first read about it in your column. Thanks for showing the video link. Very nice stuff indeed.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Weston Bye

• Grand Blanc, Michigan
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 08:59:04 PM »
I have no preference.  Either Wes or Weston is quite acceptable.  Just not Wesley.  I have nothing against Wesley, but it's not my name.

I will post some of my other projects and a more formal introduction later.  Right now I'm trying to finish the next article for the column.
Weston Bye

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 10:27:12 PM »
Great to see you here Wes, as the legends in their own minds on the other forum didn't seem impressed with either of yours or Steve's winners. As was said in the Holy Grail movie "I fart in their general direction"
glen

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

bogstandard

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 10:41:12 PM »
Lovely work Wes, nice to see you here.

But with a lot of us being from over the pond, we don't know who the local folk heroes are, so for us Brits, we have to take people by their actions and face values.

as the legends in their own minds on the other forum didn't seem impressed with either of yours or Steve's winners.

So the above quote means nothing to us, as long as you have a sense of humour and are willing to show and tell, and maybe help a little, you don't have to impress anyone on here. We are a simple bunch who marvel at talent, and it sure looks like you've got a lot of that.

Bogs

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 01:10:03 AM »
Welcome Aboard Wes

That walking beam looks a real work of art. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I've seen that concept used quite a lot in industry for moving product from tool station to tool station its a very accurate and reliable way of doing it  :thumbup:.

Look forward to seeing more of your projects.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 06:29:52 AM »
Lovely work Wes, nice to see you here.

But with a lot of us being from over the pond, we don't know who the local folk heroes are, so for us Brits, we have to take people by their actions and face values.

as the legends in their own minds on the other forum didn't seem impressed with either of yours or Steve's winners.

So the above quote means nothing to us, as long as you have a sense of humour and are willing to show and tell, and maybe help a little, you don't have to impress anyone on here. We are a simple bunch who marvel at talent, and it sure looks like you've got a lot of that.

Bogs

Bogs the point I was making to Wes was that not one person even made one reply when I posted that he and Steve won. The forum is the publishers of the magazine. Of late there seems to be a growing number of its all about me on the forum with more of the off topic,and threads about why PM's board isn't working etc. and not home shop. Wes's work has spoke for it self. I wasn't implying that he has to impress anybody, on this forum.
glen

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

bogstandard

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 06:53:26 AM »
I think you misunderstood my meaning Glen, and I fully understand how the 'holier than thou' forums work. I have been fighting them for what seems like ages now.

I was stating there is no need for any impressing to be done on here, we take people by face value, not achievements. But if it is good work that is shown, it will be respected and adulated by the masses on here, without having to be reminded about it.

Sorry for the misunderstanding

John

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 07:57:48 AM »
Not a problem John, I wanted it made clear so it wouldn't be lost in the translation so to speak. Since I have a hard time with American English, let alone the Queens English some times.
glen

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline Weston Bye

• Grand Blanc, Michigan
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 02:32:47 PM »
First of all, thanks for the kind words.  Concerning the legends in their own minds: I don’t consider them as such, I regard them as merely indifferent to some of the things that interest me.  Differences in taste, I suppose.  Perhaps this forum views things differently,  I see evidence of such.  I certainly haven’t attained folk hero status, and don’t expect to.  Indeed, there is a danger in such things involving expanding egos and resting on past laurels.  During my career I have had to endure the opinions and direction of enough so-called “experts” that I take active exception to being labeled as one.  I only consider myself to be a mediocre machinist, so I try to design my projects for the average person.

As a writer for Digital Machinist, I reserve most of my ideas for articles for the magazine, and only bring them to the forum after they show up in print.  This is not to say that I won't offer suggestions or encouragement.

Although I enjoy praise, I also appreciate constructive criticism.  Indeed, I am very interested in reactions to my article subject matter and suggestions as to what readers would like to see in my columns.  Feel free to blast away.  When an idea comes from someone else, I acknowledge the source in the article.
Weston Bye

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 03:04:01 PM »
Good post. I think you will fit in just fine.

We all seem to have varied interests and tastes. The one thing we have in common is the desire to create. What I think most of us here like to do is share that journey of creation to it's final product. When I say 'welcome to the collective' I mean that in a subtle way. We all have different skills and back grounds... it gives us the wonderful position of being many things: sounding boards, advice givers, constructive criticism, second set of eyes, support, encouragement... you name it. Can't forget the general good humor either. A huge ego will tend to get bruised around here (those guys tend to lose that sense of humor).

Personally I find the topics of your column fascinating. I have no problems waiting to read about it in DM. I completely understand the reasoning behind it.

Again, welcome to the collective Wes.  :borg:

Eric
Science is fun.

ja2on

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 05:12:48 PM »
I've included the link to Digital Machinist website in my signature line.  If you click on the interactive tab and then the Machinist in Motion, you can find videos of the clock (Quartz Movement) that PTSideshow mentioned.

Wow  :bugeye: great stuff
also the cnc video had me mesmerised

Offline Weston Bye

• Grand Blanc, Michigan
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 09:25:34 PM »
Oh, here is my other entry in the Challenge.  Placed 9th out of 19 entries.  The base has a gearmotor and batteries and the mechanism ran continuously for the whole day.  Where all the other entries were on static display, mine were the only animated ones.  I think the motion alone was good for a few votes.

The mechanism was the subject of the my very first article.  I can post drawings if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 09:28:48 PM by Weston Bye »
Weston Bye

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 09:37:56 PM »
The mechanism was the subject of the my very first article.  I can post drawings if anyone is interested.

Um yes :)

I don't have the first issue... I think I missed the first year. I would definitely like to see more of this one.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Weston Bye

• Grand Blanc, Michigan
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2009, 09:58:04 AM »
Bumping this thread back to the surface, they put videos of some of my work on the Digital Machinist website,

http://www.digitalmachinist.net/motion

including the Walking Beam and Geneva Mechanism that were in the Sherline Machinist's Challenge.
The Quartz Movement clock is also my work.

Weston Bye

Offline kellswaterri

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2009, 10:36:54 AM »
HI Wes, would you be posting the drawings for the ''Geneva'' machine and the ''Walking Beam Transfer'' on the forum...I am quite sure that many of us , myself included, would like to see ourselves copying one or both...Excellent...
All the best for now,
                           John.

Offline Weston Bye

• Grand Blanc, Michigan
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 12:28:08 PM »
John,
The Geneva Mechanism can be found over in the Gallery here. The Walking Beam will be coming up as an article in Digital Machinist and are quite involved.  After the article goes to publication (Fall '09) I'll give it a little time, then I can post here.
Weston Bye

Offline ChooChooMike

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 05:12:06 PM »
I read :coffee: in a one of the latest HSM or MSW mags, that the NAMES 2009 show is the last one in which Sherline will sponsor their Sherline challenge. Craig Libuse (from Sherline) was saying there's less and less entries every year and becoming not worth the effort. Did also state the Sherline will still attend the shows as a vendor.

Mike

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 07:48:04 AM »
Yep and combine everything with a lower volume of sales of tooling and equipment. It is probably a wise business decision.  Times are a changing, private business reduces and government entities just raise the rates   :doh:

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen