Author Topic: Working on my truck  (Read 4968 times)

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
Working on my truck
« on: August 18, 2009, 09:24:28 PM »
Well, it's not making anything really, but it was a major pain in the butt, so I'm going to share.  No pics, unfortunately.

My air conditioner in my Jeep went out last week.  Hottest week of the year, of course.  Actually, it wasn't the A/C itself, but the clutch/pulley assembly on the front of the compressor.  Squealing like a stuck pig, and smoking and looking like it was about to launch itself off the front of the engine.

Seems the dealers want to change out the whole compressor assembly, to the tune of over $900.  This involved disconnecting the lines.  The parts are redily available on the web for less than 1/3 of that, but you have to have special equipment to vacuum out the old refrigerant.  If you don't, you can be fined thousands of dollars and even jailed.  Dealers are required by law to report any evidence of tampering, and a mechanic buddy told me they get a kickback for doing it, too.  Not worth the risk to DIY.

So, I looked and searched the web, and finally came up with a rebuild kit off eBay.  Not available from the dealers, naturally.  Just the clutch parts, for a measly $74, shipped.  No disconnecting lines, so it's environmentally responsible, too.  It's a huge racket.  Like being told, when you have a flat tire, that they must replace the whole side of the car.  One $8 bearing, and they want a grand to fix it!

Kit consisted of a clutch plate, a new coil, a bearing and some spacer shims.  Getting the old one off wasn't too hard, as the bearing (double row ball) had disintegrated.  Balls all over the ground, and the coil had cooked off all the epoxy and shorted out.  The clutch plate and pulley face were badly scored.  It was shot!  The worst part was that the single serpentine belt travels around this pulley, so the truck was not going anywhere until it was fixed.  A couple of large snap rings were the biggest hassle, but my dad has nearly every tool that Craftsman sells, so he had the special pliers.

I ended up cutting the inner race off the mount, as it had kind of welded itself to the housing.  Popped right off.  Next, I had to get the outer race out of the pulley.  This is where the machinist experience paid off.  It was mechanically staked into the pulley, and I used the lathe to cut out the staked over nibs.  Then, a punch and lots of hammering got the old race out.  I again chucked it in the lathe to clean up the rusty bore, and to face off the friction surface where it had been scored by the clutch plate.

Coming up the stairs to fit the pulley on to the vehicle, I ran into my wife in the hallway.  Slammed my pinky into the doorframe, and bent it backwards.  It hurt like crazy, and I'm convinced it's broken.  Having broken fingers before, I know there's not much to do but splint it and hope I don't bang it too much.

Reassembly was pretty straightforward, and I have a small arbor press to get the new bearing in.  Wired it up, and...nothing.  Cut out the splices, figuring I had it backwards.  Still nothing.  Turns out, after having a small fit, that there's a fuse.  Blown when the coil went out.  New fuse, and I'm back in business.

Fuse: less than a buck
Clutch kit: $74, shipped
Labor: sweating your butt off on the hottest day of the year
plus one broken pinky, from rushing too much.

Not having to wake up the wife to drive you to work: pricless.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Working on my truck
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 11:34:44 PM »
rleete

Glad to see that you grabbed the bull by the horns and wrestled it to submission.  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

There are so many parts on our vehicles and in every day life that can be repaired reasonably if you can just find the parts and are mechanically inclined. Nowadays it all module replacement in exchange for your bank account. :(

Great job

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 02:55:08 AM »
Sounds like you had fun Roger  :ddb:

I'm pretty sure that If I couldn't fix my motors then I'd have to use the bus...... I could never understand where the customers used to get the money from to pay the huge bills :bugeye:   :scratch:

Glad to know there are still a few people trying to keep motoring costs down  :thumbup: 

You should've taken a few snaps though  :poke:   :)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 06:02:20 AM »
I could never understand where the customers used to get the money from to pay the huge bills :bugeye:   :scratch:

I could never understand where I found the funds either..... :(

In one year my bills came to over £2k for a car worth half that....wasn't funny at all.
Most of it could have been not halved but cut by 1/4 if I'd done the jobs myself.

I've always fixed my own cars and bikes till I had no place or tools for the last 5 or 6 yrs.
That has now all changed and right now my front two hubs are about to come off for a modification...... :dremel: Every year the garages have insisted on fitting new ones at some cost instead of doing a very simple fix.....there is a designed fault that makes them very short lived.....

I hate being ripped off..... :wack:

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 04:31:13 PM »
Darren....

That has now all changed and right now my front two hubs are about to come off for a modification......   :dremel: Every year the garages have insisted on fitting new ones at some cost instead of doing a very simple fix.....there is a designed fault that makes them very short lived.....

I shall be expecting a full report! :poke:

I hate being ripped off.....  :wack:
  Don't we all?!

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 05:52:09 AM »
OK, Ralph I'll takes some pic's, though I'm waiting on a 32mm socket in the post. This is for the hub nut.

Of course the 30mm socket I've had for the last 25yrs doesn't fit.....

I could describe the problem, and no doubt you'd get the picture. But for almost everyone else the lights would be out......
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline usn ret

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 12:17:20 PM »
Darren, I understand tools and hate to be ripped-off when there is a better way  or a proper fix [design change] that could solve the deficiency once and forever.  By the way 1 1/4 SAE sockets will work in place of a 32 MM. :poke:
Cliff :coffee:
If it isn't broken your not looking hard enough!