Author Topic: Splitting an outer CV joint  (Read 10556 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Splitting an outer CV joint
« on: August 22, 2009, 01:05:16 PM »
Guys I'm a bit embarrassed asking this as I've done loads in the past, but it's been quite some time...

I've got my car front hubs off, the outer rubber gaiter is pulled back to expose the CV joint. Trouble is there is so much black grease everywhere I can't see into the joint very well.

What I can't remember is if there is a circlip to take out first or if you just knock the joint apart with a big hammer?

I've modded the hub btw, I'll put some pic's up later but now I need to work on it whilst it's still light.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline usn ret

Re: Splitting an outer CV joint
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 01:29:35 PM »
Darren, there is always a snapring/circlip, you just have to dig out the grease and find the litle bugger. As much as I like the bigger hammer theory, :smart: I don't think it is for this application.
Cliff :coffee:
If it isn't broken your not looking hard enough!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 01:43:42 PM »
Ok, I thought there might be.....just can't find the little............darling..... :doh:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 01:53:45 PM »
I found this, not my partic car, but the same make and the bits look the same........

And we see a little circlip, well I can see it in the pic,

Right off back to the car for another look before it gets dark

http://eper.fiatforum.com/cgi-bin/naread.exe?src=D:/Fiat/ePER/data/SP.NA.00976.FCTLR/f2v.na&type=N&key=2740202002

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 02:21:15 PM »
Cleaned most of the grease out and for the life of me I can't find a clip?

Some pictures

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 03:22:17 PM »
Uh Oh...I read some drive shafts have to come completely out from the transmission and you fit the gaiter from the other end....sod that for a laugh...

This idea looks better....watch the vid

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOOTGUN-AIR-GUN-CV-BOOT-FITTING-TOOL-AND-CV-BOOT-KITS_W0QQitemZ170370066402QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM?hash=item27aad8e7e2&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

And this is prob more suitable for cheapskates like me

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-PASSAT-CV-BOOT-DRIVESHAFT-GAITER-KIT-EASY-FIT-_W0QQitemZ170366297966QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090731?IMSfp=TL090731164001r24009

Haven't things changed in just a few short years....!!!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 04:08:55 PM by Darren »

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 04:10:16 PM »
Evening chief.....  Just picked up on this thread and I'd give it an almighty thump with a copper mallet myself, there is a ring on many shafts but it is not always visible.

Some of the shafts have a split ring about an inch down into the CV joint, so before I spent all that cash on cv stretchy boots I'd try gripping the shaft in a vise and giving the joint a thump..... You're unlikely to do any damage to the joint, they are very tough.

Keep hold of the stub though.... you don't want it flying across the room!!!

Just my 2 pence worth  :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 04:26:36 PM »
Thanks Buddy, I was hoping you'd turn up before midnight.... :lol:

I walloped it good mate and it's now off. The snap ring is hidden well inside...... :thumbup:

Saved me a packet you did.... :thumbup:

I don't like hitting things hard unless I'm absolutely sure I should be doing so.....cheers..... :bow:

bogstandard

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 04:33:50 PM »
Crap, I was hoping you would bugger up the joint and I could scrounge the ball bearings off you.

But well done anyway, the garage would have charged you loads for doing that one wallop. Finger up time to the garage.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 05:44:21 PM »
It gets one better than that John, I have the other side to do as well...... :ddb:

What do you recon, £30 a side these days, plus parts at triple cost....be about that.....

Then there is this bit, the hub.

The problem centres around the red circle. The clamp just won't quite clamp tight enough to the pin. It's ok when new, but come the next MOT it fails. I have had at least one side changed if not both for every MOT for the last 4yrs since I've owned this car. To add insult the mot station sometimes failed the pin as well to be on the safe side. These are very expensive parts, the pin is in fact the whole lower arm assembly.

I decided this year if I couldn't fix this myself then I was going to scrap the car. Year on year it was getting just plain silly.

You can see the top of the gap is wider then the bottom, the bottom was closing too early.

The fix was quite simple, run a three bladed hacksaw through the slot....

It looks like I've taken a huge chunk out, but it's no wider that the original size of the top and is about 3mm wide.

On another note, why does rust always come out showing it's best in photo's......I mean, things always look worse than they really are don't they.

Would you believe that hub was new last year, no neither would I, but I have the bill to prove it so it must be.......

Anyway here's that CV joint Ralph told me to beat.....

Cleaned up, re-greased, re-booted and re-fitted.....can't be bad, just need to trim the excess boot off tomorrow.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 06:49:05 PM »
Glad Ralph got to you in time, I would have concurred with "adjust with a large tapping stick"  :dremel:

I also have some experience with drive shaft's / CV Joints, this was a particularly expensive afternoon out  :bugeye:

CC

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 07:23:35 PM »
What on earth were you doing and what was the vehicle?

You did save them for machining up didn't you, that hard stuff machines to a really nice finish.....high speed with good tips.... :thumbup:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 07:25:10 PM by Darren »

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 08:12:30 PM »
Glad the micro fine adjusting tool worked  :wack: (replace right hand smiley with CV joint!!)

I know what CC was driving and what he did..... :doh: I'll let him explain.... I'd have to go searching to get it accurate!

Still don't know quite how all 4 got that way :scratch: 

You're right too Darren, that is a crappy design. I have to say IMHO your garage isn't doing it's job right.... I'd have spent time sussing that fault out to a similar conclusion to yours! I never like to change something unless I know why I'm changing it and whether it could be fixed for less £!

Still looks like a hell of a gap though!!  :lol:   But it'll definitely work as a clamp now  :thumbup:

Have you by-passed the brake wear indicators too?

Still nice to see someone having a go..... Just make sure you check all the nuts and bolts twice..... I still do that (Habit) Especially if someone talks to me or I walk off the job while I'm working!

Spent a few hours under a Landy again today, clutch slave and flexi..... Nothing like lying on your back getting brake fluid and powdery grit in your face  :thumbup:  ::)

It's all good fun ehh!?   :lol:

Ralph.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 04:09:10 AM »
What on earth were you doing and what was the vehicle? 

The vehicle was .............

as for wot I was doing .....................  errrrrrrrrrr ...............  flying lesson  :bang: :bang: :bang:    :bugeye:

CC

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 06:05:43 AM »

as for wot I was doing .....................  errrrrrrrrrr ...............  flying lesson  :bang: :bang: :bang:    :bugeye:

CC

Sounds like you need a plane.... :lol:....even so...all four.... :doh:

Nice looking landy you have there... :thumbup: Not really the right name for it though is it...... :poke:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 06:09:56 AM »

You're right too Darren, that is a crappy design. I have to say IMHO your garage isn't doing it's job right.... I'd have spent time sussing that fault out to a similar conclusion to yours! I never like to change something unless I know why I'm changing it and whether it could be fixed for less £!

Still looks like a hell of a gap though!!  :lol:   But it'll definitely work as a clamp now  :thumbup:

Have you by-passed the brake wear indicators too?

Three different garages Ralph, when one ****** you off you tend to find another.......then do it properly yourself..

Yeah, the gap look large dunit, I'll try just two blades on the other side, but it's mostly camera perspective as that part is nearer the camera than the rest...

Now then, this bypassing, is this why my warning light is on but all my pads look fine......

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 08:46:36 AM »
.. :lol:....even so...all four.... :doh: .... :poke: 

Was rather embarrassing ............ and expensive, it also broke the front locking diff  :(

CC

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 09:01:06 AM »
Not really the right name for it though is it...... :poke:
  It was probably the landying bit that did the damage!!  :lol: .... Sorry CC, just ribbin' ya  :poke:

Now then, this bypassing, is this why my warning light is on but all my pads look fine......
I just read that and then thought.... The light comes on when the wires connect together on the surface of the brake disc.... So that bypass is probably actually a permanent  closed circuit?  :scratch:  But there is an odd memory of a closed loop circuit that once broken needs re-setting using computers?? It's been a while.....

Maybe try it with them removed?.... Just a thought, that light may also be connected to the brake fluid level warning, best make sure all parts are as should be before testing!  :zap:

If all else fails give me the model etc in a PM and I'll look into it   :)    (still got 2 mates who own garages and 3 more who work in them  :thumbup: )

I know what you mean about the garages chief, they'll all progressively get worse I fear, there are not enough old boys still in the trade. not enough "mechanics" left.... Now mostly fitters who have limited knowledge on very few models and lack of experience to work out the models they have not met before.....
Obviously I'm going to be one of those "it was different in my day" kind of guys soon!! (or maybe already!!)

A bit of research will help you on your way with many things..... I had to ask CC about Diff' types on the landy's the other month.... It'd been more than 10 years since I worked in the landy business! It always helps when you know someone who breaks them regularly :lol:  (Oh, I just couldn't help it!.... I know it's expensive and painful)

Well, we shall see how you get on with the brake light?

Enjoy,

Ralph.