Author Topic: Apprentice pieces  (Read 9121 times)

PeeWee

Apprentice pieces
« on: August 27, 2009, 04:11:45 AM »
Since spuddevans requested pictures here are a couple from my time at HMS Collingwood 15 years back. 
There were a couple of old time engineers that took the course in metal work and at the time I thought why bother.

However looking back the point was simple.  Learn the basics, in terms of the mini vice below it was made solely using hand tools and emery cloth.  Except for the spindles and holes.  The entire piece was made square to a thou of an inch including the brass insert in the bottom.

the turned item had a bit of everythen, from left and right threads, tapers etc.  i still have all the drawings so when up and running may do it again as practice.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
Re: Apprentice pieces
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 04:44:04 AM »
  Learn the basics, in terms of the mini vice below it was made solely using hand tools and emery cloth.  Except for the spindles and holes.  The entire piece was made square to a thou of an inch including the brass insert in the bottom.

Wow  :bow: :bow:  I am seriously impressed.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 07:22:30 AM »
Very nice Ian.

Is that a Tuscan speed six in your avatar? Would be nice to see some bigger pics of that :thumbup: ... will certainly make me jealous! Is it your every day car? Or is that not possible? Have always wanted a TVR!

Nick

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 08:48:39 AM »
From the looks of that first pic and it's desription I don't think you need to learn much here.  :)

Very nice job and by hand. The sign of a true craftsman. :thumbup:

Can't wait to see some projects once you get to know the machines. I bet therre are going to be inspiring.

Ya, couple of pics of that nice ride would be nice too.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

PeeWee

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 02:17:30 PM »
Thank you for the nice comments, though it was 15 years back.

Nick, Bernd here are a few pics, and nick it was my everyday car, though the service book showed servicing to 50k miles yet the car had only do 25.  ie i serviced it every 6 months.  average service £1.5k
I sold it 2 years back when i bought the house with a bigger workshop space. :D

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 04:49:35 PM »
Absolutely awesome!  :thumbup: Still want one! :jaw: Always been put off by potential running costs though! Did that level of maintenance keep it reliable then? I've heard the engines are pretty highly strung! Gorgeous car, at least you can say you've been there and done that now!

Nick

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 06:05:46 PM »
Very nice looking car Ian. We don't get to see those kind over here. More Japanese cars then British.

Closest I got to a British car is when my ex-wife bought an MGB. Rolled a week after our wedding. It's a wonder she didn't lose her head in the roll over. Looked at the TR7's back then to.

Still that's one very nice looking car.  :thumbup:  Thanks for posting some pics.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 06:42:26 PM »
I sold it 2 years back when i bought the house 

:bugeye: still, as Nick said, you've been there and done that ................. nice wheels mind  :bow:

And .............. very nice mini vice, that's some tolerance with hand tools, how long did it take to complete  :scratch:

CC

PeeWee

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 07:17:00 AM »
Crewcab, the full course was 6 months and included drawing, lathe, hand work etc.  the vice had a 2 weeks of this fairly early into the course, though if memory serves correctly a couple of the corners dip slightly.

Nick, yes the engines are highly strung and as an owner its virtually impossible to get into the engine compartment.  It took a TVR garage an hour just to change a side light.  http://www.tvrpower.co.uk/ do a 3 year unlimited warranty on the engines.  I would not go anywhere else.

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 01:24:43 PM »
Ian,

that sounds like a good deal and pretty much essential if you want to run one of these beasts!

So have you got any projects lined up.  :proj: is very contageous!

Nick