Author Topic: 5 Minute Fix...Episode Two.  (Read 4800 times)

Offline websterz

5 Minute Fix...Episode Two.
« on: August 27, 2009, 05:37:10 PM »
Okay, I promised you Cheap and Easy Z-axis Way Covers...here we go.

I started with a sheet of nitrile rubber, it'll cost you 5 bucks at Enco and you get enough to do this project a couple of times:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=240-2329&PMPXNO=4838017&PARTPG=INLMK32

(Link is fixed now...sorry for the misdirection)

You will also need some steel banding material, the kind they band pallets with for shipment. I keep several feet of this on hand, great for lots of things. Get it for free wherever pallets of merchandise are delivered. Brickyards and home improvement stores are great sources!

And finally you want some really strong magnets. I use neodymium hard drive magnets. You can get them for free out of old dead hard drives, or buy them on Ebay. They are strong and will pinch then #@$%^ out of your fingers...you have been warned. :doh:

Here are the magnets stuck to the column of my mill:

There are 2 more just like them on the skirt around the bottom of the headstock. I don't know where that picture went.  ::)

Cut the rubber in half lengthwise. You'll end up with two pieces roughly 6" x 24". If you cut the other way it won't work as well.  :wave:

While you are cutting stuff, cut two pieces of banding strap about 14 inches long and fold them in half. Give the fold a good tap with a mallet so that it will close on the rubber firmly.

With about a half inch of rubber sticking past the top of the metal, fold the thing over like this

and stick it to the magnets on the headstock, like this (actually I didn't have it folded over when I took this pic...my bad. You can see how it is supposed to look in final pic)

Now run the headstock all the way to the top and repeat everything, but upside down, for the magnets on the bottom of the column. You want the sheet taut but not stretched too tightly when the headstock is fully raised so measure and fold accordingly. When you lower the headstock the rubber will fold back and forth across itself and lay neatly behind the table, out of the way.

Easily removed for cleaning, durable, and best of all it was cheap.

Your Z axis cover has now been 5 Minute Fixed! :D   :proj:

Todd  a.k.a  webs
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 08:50:42 PM by websterz »
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline websterz

Re: 5 Minute Fix...Episode Two.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 05:42:52 PM »
Oh, if you were wondering about the stacks of washers on the underside of my headstock...I will make THAT post tomorrow when the permatex has cured.  :proj:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 03:32:35 AM »
By `ek Tod, I really like that fix!  :clap:

Only yesterday I was cleaning the fine swarf from the column.  ::)

VERY nicely thought through.....  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Mustang

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 10:56:41 AM »
Todd,

We must have had the same mentors. This is my fix using a paper feed belt from a commerical printer. Took a little more that five minutes but solved the problem. :D

Cheers,

Andy
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 03:41:23 PM by Mustang »

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 11:52:42 AM »
Todd,

Thank you!  :thumbup:

I used an A4 sized zippy bag...... I`ve got lots of `em!  :D

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!