Author Topic: Gantry build  (Read 20287 times)

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
Gantry build
« on: August 29, 2009, 06:31:50 PM »
Hopefully this is in the right place.

Building it based on a design posted on another forum.  Like this idea cause the front door to the shed is quite low. 

Making the base and columns out of 75 mm SHS with 65 mm telescoping inside it.  A couple of 3000 kg rams will be sufficient I feel.

Picking up a 1 tonne girder trolley and I beam for the top next week (hopefully).

From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

Forget about the price of gold and oil, its the price of beer that matters.

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
Re: Gantry build
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 06:36:12 PM »
Ok I have done something wrong here.  For some reason the second foto didnt work.

Here is the design I am working to.  My legs are different, but the rest will look pretty much like this.

The guy even supplied a cut list for the steel.
From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 06:37:35 PM »
Ah, I've seen that one somewhere....... :scratch:

Please keep this coming as I'd like to see how you progress..... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 06:43:03 PM »
Dammit I will get it right eventually.

Here it is.  My legs are different, but the rest will be pretty much the same.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 06:45:59 PM »
Yep, that's the one....... :clap:

Looks a handy piece of kit...... :ddb:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 07:01:18 PM »
How about providing a link to the original fabricator.

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 10:24:11 PM »
now thats cool  :thumbup: now if i only had room for one  :scratch:

chuck :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 03:59:40 AM »
Nice one
 do you think my wife would let me have one for the front door?? :lol:

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 05:50:13 AM »

do you think my wife would let me have one for the front door?? :lol:

Why, are you getting married or sumut?.... :lol:

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 07:06:11 AM »
Divorced /Killed more like if I sugest I need a gantry to get a new turret mill into the lounge. :lol:

I wish -
Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 05:15:18 PM »

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 10:11:42 PM »
I fear I am missing something here..... :scratch:

You put this astride something heavy (like the crate with your new mill in it) then extend the jacks to lift the crate so you can wheel the whole thing into the garage?

I fear that if I tried that I would get it rolling and two of the wheels would hit something and the whole thing would collapse,  just how strong are those top corners?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 10:22:44 PM by John Hill »
From the den of The Artful Bodger

bogstandard

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 11:19:49 PM »
My thoughts entirely John, plus the offset wheels don't help.

It is only the strength of the box section that is stopping it doing the 'splits' or collapsing over one way or another.

I for one wouldn't even consider it, a totally bad basic engineering design, no matter how many people, or how much weight anyone else has got away with.

Bogs
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 11:21:28 PM by bogstandard »

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 06:40:25 AM »
I think it's just for lifting and lowering, not moving....lift out of a trailer, move trailer, lower onto a pallet truck or sumsuch.. :ddb:

Just one of many lifting facilities.

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 08:22:21 AM »
I think it's just for lifting and lowering, not moving....lift out of a trailer, move trailer, lower onto a pallet truck or sumsuch..

Pretty much.  Have access issues (low doorway).  The standard jeep I drove in today almost hit the bottom of the tilt door, even when I propped the door up.  The clearance situation improves somewhat once one gets inside the shed.

Would not consider using it to wheel something around like a trolley.  I need clearance to lower/raise items off the trailer, thats where the rams come in.  His idea with the legs (base) didnt appeal to me, so made mine as shown.   

From what  I can make out, the original fabricator has a similar issue wrt his doorway, thus the design.  It wont win any awards, but used sensibly it will serve my purposes nicely.  I also have Acro props (screw jacks) to brace underneith the I beam as well if I feel I am pushing the limits.

Keeping mine to a max of 1 tonne, although the heaviest thing I will need to lift would be a lathe at around 600 Kg.  No way that the trusses of the shed will take that kind of weight.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 08:34:18 AM »
If you have a look at commercial lifting units they'd scare you silly at just how flimsy they are, esp when they give a capacity of two tonnes or so.

The gantry you linked looks as it it's good for 100 tonnes by comparison.....ok a slight exaggeration maybe.... :ddb:

I like the design of your legs better, not that there is much wrong with his, yours just look stronger. But what is your span on these, it looks short in the picture?

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 05:23:28 PM »
Between legs I am looking at 8 foot (2400mm). 

I will have some of the internal SHS (how much is yet to be determined) sticking out above the columns.  I'm thinking about a foot at present.  Hard to explain everything so there will be pics taken as I go.

If you have a look at commercial lifting units they'd scare you silly at just how flimsy they are, esp when they give a capacity of two tonnes or so.

Yeah I definetely agree there.  Look at some of the engine cranes on the market.  My local has a few Chinese ones.  Dodgy...

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 07:09:16 PM »
I like the design of your legs better, not that there is much wrong with his, yours just look stronger. But what is your span on these, it looks short in the picture?

Oops I think I misread what u were saying.  Yeah u are right, dunno what I was thinking.  Yeah I'm gunna have t o buy some more SHS and make the column longer.  Using up all of my scrap SHS on this job, dont normally have much use for this size normally.  Good thing too, stuff this size starts getting expensive.

Thinkin seriously about adding an additional wheel directly under the column each side, cause most of the downward pressure will be exerted on this point.  Still considering how big to make the gussets that connect the I beam to the columns.

Progress is slower than I would like as its an after work excercise. 

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2009, 04:07:12 AM »
You won't need extra wheels, that bar isn't going to bend on you.....well not unless you try to suspend a whole tank from it..

Just think of this, with these types of devices all the weight inc the gantry is held by four little bolts in the wheels......

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 08:22:48 AM »
Sourced myself some HT bolts for the casters.  3 of the four casters have locks.  What can I say I got a really good deal on them, especially considering the locking ones are normally dearer.

Made my legs longer to allow more support for the telescoping SHS running thru the centre.

Currently doing some mock ups to work out how I'm gunna support the rams.  I need to be able to see something in the metal to work out how I will actually do the job.  No not using the thin stuff that's shown in the pics.  Somehow dont think welding ally to Mild steel will work for starters.

Pics show my current ideas for the top and bottom mounts.  The large piece of flat on the top mounting represents the I beam.  Another foto shows the telescoping SHS. 

Add a gusset to the bottom mount and some 10 mm flat to connect the clevis pin to the ram.

Offline kellswaterri

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 08:39:41 AM »
Hi Jatt, as Darren pointed out , the wheels are the weak spot in most gantrys of this design...I would go for an all steel wheel with roller bearings built in...not that much more in price really...I have witnessed the results of using the cheaper plastic or nylon based wheels and believe me you do not want to go there.
All the best for now,
                            John.

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 04:08:51 AM »
Here is where I am up to with it.

Used 16 mm HT bolts to attach the I beam to the top.

Will be adding a removable stay between the base of the legs.  Probably will be situated between the actual casters.

A paint job is definetely on the "to do list".  Will have to wait until I have my next spray job tho.  Much easier to set up the booth and do all paint jobs in waiting in one hit.

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2009, 03:47:24 AM »
here is the latest in my current project.

Made a table that acts like a rotisserie.  The reason will be more apparent when I show some fotos of what I make.  There is another trailer in the yard to deck out, so the wait wont be too long.

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 02:35:33 AM »
Being able to turn over formply sheets easily by myself is a real bonus.  Once I am finished its simply a matter of pushing a trailer part way underneith the table, releasing the clamps and manouvering the sheet into place.  Easy even for a weed like me.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 03:06:05 AM »
jatt

That is the way to do it. work smarter, not harder. Good job :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,