Author Topic: Garage conversion  (Read 9217 times)

PeeWee

Garage conversion
« on: September 01, 2009, 11:00:43 AM »
Hi All Madmodders
I am in the process of drawing up plans of converting a double garage into a workshop.  There are already a couple of benches in place that will be incorporated into the design.
The garage will be divided into 2, though not quite evenly as there is a classic car in one half along with all the usual junk.

Work to date, ceiling installed with lighting and insulation, electrics partly installed and garage door insulated.
the plan is to board the walls and paint white as well as build a bench of the lathe ans mill

Is there anything that I should note before the major work starts? The garage is connect to the house but not integral.

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Garage conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 11:14:31 AM »
More pics of the boat in prosess and a couple of the classic car!

Is there a reason to "board the walls and paint white"?  Insulation?  The only other reason I'd put up anything would be so you had something to hang shelves on.  Other than that, you can just paint the walls as is. 
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 11:55:02 AM »
Hi Ian,

You won't regret the insulation and on the walls even just dot-an'-dabbin' will improve matters greatly. Do you plan to add insulation on any of the walls?

One note, the electrics, I note some trunking travels horizontally, if you are boarding the walls this must be changed to comply with the regs. I'm not certain that it currently meets them as it is. But i can tell you all hidden cables must travel vertically if they are hidden and be suitably protected with cladding. This is so anyone putting shelves up later knows where the hidden cables are likely to be..... :thumbup:

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

PeeWee

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 01:52:39 PM »
Hi Rleete, here is a new thread for the boat http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1709.0 and a couple of links to the car, http://www.mlmotorsport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid= and http://www.mlmotorsport.com/forum/index.php/topic,788.0.html

The idea on the boarding is to put insulation behind and the white paint is for light.  The gray wall in the pictures is the conecting wall and is double skined with insulation and damp coursing.  the builders are posting the details of the other walls.  the electric ducting will always be surfaced mounted incase i change my mind about the layout,  :zap: so it would remain within regulations.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 01:55:02 PM by PeeWee »

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 01:57:44 PM »
Your getting builders in...... :jaw:

What are they...got a pic..... :lol:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

PeeWee

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 02:04:20 PM »
ok clarification, the builders in question is the firm who built the house, I will be doing the workshop myself.   :coffee:

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 06:04:01 PM »
Ian, similar to my new place. I've left a space in the middle for a classic car! Ours used to be a show house which is handy as it's plastered out, and has more than usual electric points and some useful looking spotlights on the wall that must have been there since day 1 30 odd years ago! Somebody's disconnected the wiring in the loft but it'll easily be screwed back into the junction box.

Handy having the boiler in there too, will you be able to run a radiator off from somewhere? We discovered a radiator in ours that was behind a bench, not convinced it's still piped up though as it stays stone cold!

Nick

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 04:42:10 PM »
P/W you may already be doing this but I found it very helpful to draw up (in 2D CAD) a scale view of my garage and all the machines, tables etc. that live there.  It was then very easy to move things around until the best arrangement was found.  I tried to draw the cat but she wouldn't sit still for measuring.;)

Milton in Tennesee

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

Offline Jonny

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 03:10:43 PM »
Mines insulated and quite similar.
Two reasons for boarding up whether insulated or not and one is to cut the noise down, secondly it takes less to heat up and keep warm.
Insulate the roof then board over as well. Chuck all those big empty boxes up there as well assuming apex roof, it all keeps the noise down.

PeeWee

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 02:23:33 PM »
Hi All,

Made myself some paper cut outs of the proposed major tooling etc and came up with a few options.

question though, deviding the garage in 2 to seperate normal garage and the woork shop, good idea? or insulate and board it all?

just want to get on with it now.  though the wedding in a couple of weeks aparantly needs some work too. :)

bogstandard

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 03:23:38 PM »
PeeWee,

I used plasterboard that had 1" insulation pre attached. Down the centre of each board from the top, I grooved out the insulation and fitted oval type plastic conduit, then fitted a double socket into each one. The boards were then just stuck onto the wall using a cement based adhesive. So 11 boards, 11 double sockets @ 4ft pitch. Once that was done, the same board was used for the ceiling. Before fitting the ceiling, I wired up the main ring by feeding the cabling down the conduits.

I use metal plasterboard screw in plugs for holding anything to the wall, and people who have been here will attest, that I must have hundredweights hanging on the walls, with no problems at all.

Last winter I tried out one of those cheap oil filled radiators, with a thermostat fitted (less than 20 squid from Wilko's). It was left permanently on, all winter, and I coudn't really detect much change in my leccy bill, but the workshop, once the machines had absorbed some heat, had a constant, very nice working climate throughout the winter, and no condensation at all. By the looks of the weather, it will be turn on time soon.

Bogs

Offline Jonny

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 04:08:44 PM »
I needed something hard wearing that wouldnt dent when something goes flying plus be able to screw brackets with weight hanging off.
Think its a 2" gap on mine with 3x2" wood battens topped off with that cheap contiboard interlocking floorboard. Very easy to do.
Did partition off, the other side houses the plumbed in bead blaster, pressure pot, anodising stuff and 10" polishing mop.