Author Topic: Tether Cars  (Read 10166 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Tether Cars
« on: September 01, 2009, 08:04:43 PM »
Here's a site that might be of interest. No plans but what's impressive is that these small model cars went 75 to 80 mph. They have now reached speeds of over 212 mph. :jaw: That's real miles per hour.

Oh ya here's the place Tether Car's

It goes to show you that over time things can get improved per thread on "What Will Happen".

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Tether Cars
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 11:12:51 PM »
Here's a site that might be of interest. No plans but what's impressive is that these small model cars went 75 to 80 mph. They have now reached speeds of over 212 mph. :jaw: That's real miles per hour.

Oh ya here's the place Tether Car's

It goes to show you that over time things can get improved per thread on "What Will Happen".

Bernd

Good find Bernd. I used to read about these when I was kid and would have liked to get into them but we lived in the country and there was nothing available there. Later in the 60's I did get into slot cars in a big way and did very good. Aaahhh, brings back some good memories.

At 212 MPH that would be like a rocket on a string. You definitly would want to pay attention. :poke:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 08:37:48 AM »
Thanks Don,

I remember reading about them many years ago and they were talking of going 100mph then. I can't see using an RC radio to control something that fast. You'd never be able to react in time. I know because I'm finally getting used to my RC race boat going about 20mph. That's quite difficult as it is.

Seems they get smaller as they go further away from you too and the steering is backwards when they come toward you. Talk a aout fun  :lol:

Bernd

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 09:30:06 AM »
React to what Bernd, don't they just fill em up and let them run till outta fuel?
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 04:08:11 PM »
Darren,

Yes they do. I meant that if you ever switch them to RC control. You won't have time to react. I saw a vid on U-tube of an electric powered boat doing 100mph. It was just a stright line streak. No way of controlling it it. Any slight turn would have flipped it out of control.

Bernd

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
Thanks Don,

I remember reading about them many years ago and they were talking of going 100mph then. I can't see using an RC radio to control something that fast. You'd never be able to react in time. I know because I'm finally getting used to my RC race boat going about 20mph. That's quite difficult as it is.

Seems they get smaller as they go further away from you too and the steering is backwards when they come toward you. Talk a aout fun  :lol:

Bernd

Bernd

I have also done the RC Cars, Airplanes and Boats. My first and only boat that I build was a Crackerbox with a Merco .61 in it. About the second time I ran it was in competion. It was class E Mono. I was the slowest boat on the lake that day but I won my class. I won 2 heats and finished 2nd in the other. It seems that you have to finish a race before you can be declared a winner. I couldn't go fast enough to tip it over so I just kept chugging along and finished every race. :D :D

A few of the hot shots were not too happy but that was their problem. :lol: :lol:

That was 30 some years ago. I'm thinking of building another one and putting a weedeater motor in it. :doh:

With regards to the steering being backwards when they come toward you. Turn your back on them and look over your shoulder then it will not feel backward anymore. It can get confusing when right is left and left is right and down is up and up is crash :bang: :bang: :bang:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 08:13:14 PM »
Don,

I flew RC planes when I was younger. As a matter of fact I built the first RC radio in my first plane. Remember the Heathkits? They had a RC radio you put together. Part of the receiver and the servo boards. Worked fine.

Now that we have a cottage up on the St. Lawerence I figured hey why not try out a boat. So I surfed the net. I was actualy looking for a hover craft to build. Got plans for one but never started. Then I got a ride in an air boat on one of the local lakes here. So I persued an airboat. While surfing the net on airboats I came across the models. This time I did start the project but only got about half way through when I found HMEM and now Madmodder so that boat building stopped in favor of stean engines. Anyway to make along story a bit shorter. I received a speed boat for X-mas a little over a year ago. I tried breaking in the motor at home and promptly broke the con rod. A year larter the replacement finally showed up. The guy from China must have used a row boat to get it here.  :lol:

Anyway got her running now and have been having fun. Got one of my cottage neigboor interested in RC boats. Now he has one and we're going to have lots of fun this long holiday weekend. I hope to have some vids of the boat in the water. First though I need to train the wife how to take video's. :)

Back to the airboat for a minute. If you want to take a look at what I've got started as far as the airboat is concerned. Here's a direct link to my web site page: http://www.kingstonemodeleng.com/ModelAirboat/First/first.htm

I plan on building one with a weed eater engine after the one I started above.

But in the mean time I'm going with my speed boat and anoy the duck's. Can you say Aflack :ddb::ddb::ddb::ddb:

Bernd

P.S. I won't be back on till next Tuesday.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 03:15:26 PM »
Those were the good old days, COX brand had a corvette plastic bodied stamped steel pan chassis, with a 0.49 cox engine driving a rubber tire on a rear wheel. ran drag style straight line or you could tether it to a post and a ring.
Was about $15.00 or less new at kmart, what fun in the drive way. Boy that was propbaly the best $15.00 bucks I ever spent! :ddb:
Makes me want to go out to the shop and put the linkages back on the weed wacker powered 1/6 scale ankle buster buggy and fire it up and drive the neighbors crazy. on my 24 x 35 foot drive way. :D
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Mike K

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 05:29:05 PM »
There were a lot of cool things that happened slightly before my time.  Like Don mentioned, slot cars.  I read an article about this recently that blamed the "ringers" for killing it...the people going crazy on expense and mods and making it no fun for the kids.

In the U.S., the pinewood and soap box derbies are like this.  The Boy Scouts still do them, but it's mostly the engineer dads doing all the work and the kids entering the race.  Real shame.

Mike

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 08:52:36 PM »

In the U.S., the pinewood and soap box derbies are like this.  The Boy Scouts still do them, but it's mostly the engineer dads doing all the work and the kids entering the race.  Real shame.

Mike

I got a news flash that was going on with the soapbox derby back in the 60's kid down the street, the only time he seen the car was the day they rolled it up to the scale at derby hill which was in the park at the end of our street in Detroit.

He came close to winning 3 times but always came in second in the finial race so I guess God was watching the races  :D

Did I get in trouble when I was a pack leader for not letting the kids run their dads cars.
that's when I figured the scouts went down the sewer. So I quit and never went back! To bad scouts were great back when I was a kid. 50's 60's
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline shred

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 11:01:21 PM »

Mike

I got a news flash that was going on with the soapbox derby back in the 60's kid down the street, the only time he seen the car was the day they rolled it up to the scale at derby hill which was in the park at the end of our street in Detroit.

He came close to winning 3 times but always came in second in the finial race so I guess God was watching the races  :D

Did I get in trouble when I was a pack leader for not letting the kids run their dads cars.
that's when I figured the scouts went down the sewer. So I quit and never went back! To bad scouts were great back when I was a kid. 50's 60's

There's still a fair bit of hijinks going on in Pinewood Derby, but the local troop started a 'dads race', which moved 95% of the custom tuning to those cars, leaving the kids to do more on their own.