Author Topic: UK MOT's  (Read 25015 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
UK MOT's
« on: September 04, 2009, 01:16:45 PM »
I realise this is very  :offtopic: but someone here may just know the answer...?

I have tried searching the relevant forums but have drawn a blank.

I've been getting my car ready for an MOT over the last few weeks but have one remaining problem.
The speedo doesn't work, has not done so for four years but I've got away with it. But even so it would be great if it could be fixed. So far three garages have failed to sort it out over as many years.

I have been using a nifty little gadget that picks up Satellite signals and displays my true speed, unlike the guesstimate of the original speedo.
So i do know how fast i'm going...

But is it legal, and should it comply with the MOT requirements. Common sense would say yes....but...we don't seem to have much of that these days....

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline jim

Re: UK MOT's
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 01:19:24 PM »
i had an old volvo get through 3 MOT's with non working speedo, he just used to laugh and and say not used it much! with it all being on computor nowadays, i'm not sure :scratch:
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 01:24:45 PM »
Over here in Northern Ireland we have to go to government run MOT test centers and I can tell you in these places they are super strict on all the aspects of the MOT test. That being said, they never drive the car over 100yards, and never faster than about 2mph and would never notice a nonworking speedo. My friend had a car go through the MOT 4 years in a row with no speedo, never failed ( at least never on the speedo )

I'd say that they will never notice the speedo not working, just so long as it has a speedo you'll be fine.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 03:41:49 PM »
It's not on the MOT check list,

except for Class V & VII which I don't think applies to you.

The only thing is the Odometer reading will be the same year after year, and the last clause .........

...... "Please note any defects which in your opinion make the vehicle dangerous to drive" which I believe is up to the discretion of the MOT tester.

CC 

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 03:56:32 PM »
Thanks Dave that settles my mind a little,  I assumed a speedo was a safety device and automaticaly considered it to be included.....learn something new every day.

Also might explain how I've "got away" with it so often.

Tim, when the brakes are checked they use a rolling road so effectively it's being driven.

Not too worried about the odometer, who can prove it wasn't sat on the drive all year.  :ddb:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Spen50

• Spen's Bike Site
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 04:17:11 PM »
I've questioned a couple of my uniformed friends on this and this was their relative answers:

A. It is illegal to drive a vehicle on a public road without a correctly functioning speedometer.
However, speedometer function is not checked as a part of the M.O.T. test, so you can't fail an M.O.T. for it.

B. Technically yes, as the speedo is required by law (construction and use regulations) . However, it's not usually tested for the MOT as they don't drive the car, but if they did check it a speed reading on a satnav would meet the requirements of the law.

Hope this clarifies things.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 04:27:33 PM »
who can prove it wasn't sat on the drive all year. 

and you live next door to the MOT station  :scratch:

:clap: I'm with you Darren, the Sat Nav is more accurate and as Spen50 said above it "would meet the requirements of the law" so I don't see any issue with any regulations personally, I think you can have a good night's sleep mate.

CC

Offline old-biker-uk

• Taunton, Somerset
    • An Old Biker's Stuff
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 04:44:17 PM »
Not a problem with my old bike (1942 750cc Harley), speedo dead but fitted a digital thingy designed for push bikes.
Just have to wind the odometer by the amount shown on the gizmo.

Mark
What you say and what people hear are not always the same thing.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 04:52:04 PM »
Thanks Guys, esp Spen for taking the trouble to ask a couple of mates on my behalf....  :beer:

I have seen add-ons use for bikes esp specials, but assumed they were passed over by the tester (bike testers seem to be a friendlier lot as they usually ride themselves)

Just for any others that may find this thread, I'm not using a normal sat-nav to display my speed. I guess it would be ok in the eyes of the law but their speeds readouts are usually so small you can't see it properly. Well not on the ones I've had at any rate.

I'm using a different device that is designed to alert of speed cameras, it's quite handy as it makes quite an annoying noise if you are over the speed limit and seems to be very accurate in detecting different limits. It's display just reads current speed and is quite large and clear.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 04:05:56 PM »
MOT day arrived......and he couldn't give a hoot about the speedo not working. He had to drive it from where I left it up the road a little so spotted it straight away.

Didn't pass though, the front/rear brake balancer isn't working, not something you'd really find without a brake tester.... :(

If at first you don't succeed........£57 quid though......this game is getting dearer init...

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 05:27:00 PM »
this game is getting dearer init...

Sure is! Just sold my Freelander not an hour ago - now have to car share with my Mrs.
Petrol was killing it for me - 160 squid a month and £67 a month insurance, £120 every 6 months Tax!  :(   

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 11:23:49 AM »
 :offtopic: ish ..... But,

There's about to be a T reg Renault laguna 1.9td sport for sale....52,000miles on the clock and 400 miles to a tank (60-65 litre tank) with a slightly heavy foot!.... I'm up and downgrading at the same time!!

Probably buying a 22 year old car (dependant on my ramp inspection tomorrow) so down grading in the years..... But it is a 2wd Sierra Sapphire Cosworth, so a little more power!!  :bugeye: 

Yer I know....  "Car Gloat!"  and I don't even own it yet!!  :)

Fix Or Repair Daily    Here we come!!    :lol:    :dremel:

Back on topic.... Are you sure it's the valve Darren? could always be a collapsing flexi' brake hose? If it's seized then it might be right? They're always seizing!

make sure you copper grease the pivots etc on the new one after the test. Specially with the winter salting on the way! 

Glad the rest of the work has paid off though  :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 12:51:14 PM »
Brake Load Compensating Valve.....truly seized up solid

Rang Fiat for a new one............£115.78 + VAT + delivery = £145

I could not stop laughing on the phone.....chap said "I take it you don't want it then"

My reply "you must be clairvoyant"...... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Now to find a 2nd hand one........I keep thinking, I would be a whole lot better off getting another car for a spares donor. Over just a couple of years it would pay dividends.

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 02:31:50 PM »
Brake Load Compensating Valve.....truly seized up solid

I look forward to your post detailing the machining of the new valve!
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 03:48:48 PM »
I might have a go at de-rusting the old one and seeing if it can be reclaimed. If only out of interest...!!

I've just done a rusted up solid Rioch drill chuck and it now turns quite freely...... :)

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 05:13:35 PM »
it is a 2wd Sierra Sapphire Cosworth,   

I'm all ears  :beer:

CC

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 05:34:11 PM »
But it is a 2wd Sierra Sapphire Cosworth,

Blimey, that's gonna need a very big bucket........ :lol:

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 07:25:44 PM »
If the valve is seized it can usually be helped out with penetrating oil and a bit of working of the arm..... If however the internals are stuck..... It'll be a bit more difficult!

The car.... I'll see and know more tomorrow  :)

Well at least the labour on all the repairs is free  :thumbup:  Parts are a little steep though.... Turbo's are £700!!!! :jaw: and some bits you just can't get new!

Aww well, it'll be fun  :ddb: 

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 11:34:21 AM »
I'm still struggling getting this MOT done.  It keeps failing on the front brakes. Individually the brakes have very good pressure. But together the machine is saying that one side has 60% more pressure than the other which is diabolical.

The thing is the car brakes fine and pulls up in a straight line. At 60% inbalance you would expect it to pull to one side quite badly. But it doesn't. I have had another garage strip clean and bleed the brakes 3 times and still the brake testing machine at the MOT station is saying 60% inbalance.

I lost my cool a little today and told the tester to take it out for a drive to see how bad this pulling to one side really was. He was gone for a while and when he came back stated he couldn't fault the braking, in fact even with hands off the wheel it still pulled up perfectly straight under heavy braking. My sharp reply was "and what more could you ask for"

Back on the machine....60% rears it's head again......he is now doubting his machine....but still no MOT. I said fine, I'll leave it here and you sort it out then and that is where I've left it.....

He's muttering something about the ABS interfering with the results now....

Bloody technology.....

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 12:57:30 PM »
At last, he's passed it........decided it must be the abs.

That's that horror over for another 12mths..... :coffee:

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 02:55:58 PM »
......he is now doubting his machine....  Bloody technology..... 

Yup, take "experience" out of the equation and we are back to the horse designed by a committee  :bang:

Glad you got it sorted eventually.

CC

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 03:01:33 PM »
Hmmmmm..... maybe it is the ABS that makes it pull up straight. :coffee:

I guess the brake tester machine measures through the tyres, not the hydraulic pressure directly?  There are a whole bunch of things that cause brake imbalance.. :scratch:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 03:01:56 PM »
Thanks, the bit that bothers me is the spending of £200 to get back where I started changing bit's that didn't need changing in the first place... :doh:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 03:09:31 PM by Darren »

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 03:07:10 PM »

Doubtful otherwise my whole braking would have to be 60% down. And it has great brakes. Also you can tell when the ABS comes into play and it's not doing that.

The brake tester is a pair of driven rollers that you brake on. The measurements are then shown on a computer.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 04:32:43 PM »

Doubtful otherwise my whole braking would have to be 60% down. And it has great brakes. Also you can tell when the ABS comes into play and it's not doing that.

The brake tester is a pair of driven rollers that you brake on. The measurements are then shown on a computer.

Darren

Are all 4 wheels on driven rollers at the same time and is each roller independly powered? Is the imbalance a left to right issue or a front to back issue? :doh:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best